Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who uses Verizons towers

Phone
    Motorola Entice W766
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Who uses Verizons towers

Ok who uses verizons towers, you know like virgin mobile uses sprint towers, who has a cheaper prepaid smart phone that uses verizons towers?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk does.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Phone
    Motorola Entice W766
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    do they offer any android phones?

Phones
    motorola moto x
    motorola moto X
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Straight talk also uses att towers, if the phone you buy uses a sim card its on att.
    Page plus uses verizon towers and you can bring your own verizon phone as long as it isnt a prepay phone

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only VZW MVNO that I've seen that actually sells Android phone's is NationPCS. I haven't been able to find too much information on that MVNO as far as customer satisfaction. I think it's a newer MVNO.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    You probably mean which MVNO runs on VZW's network. And the answer is first and foremost Page Plus Cellular.

Towers are a completely different issue and entirely irrelevant for this discussion. Many towers are owned by a wireless carrier and others are co-located on the same structure. Many towers are not owned by any wireless carrier at all but rather by tower management companies. Many sites are not tower-based, but use other structures like monopoles, utility poles, pylons, or buildings to mount the antennas on.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Straight Talk is exclusive to Walmart so if you want to buy one in a store, you'll have to go there. They have 4 or 5 phones that use the Native Verizon network, none of which are smartphones. People who talk about having a smartphone on Straight Talk get a Nokia GSM phone for around $179, take out the SIM and put it in an UNLOCKED GSM phone. Straight talk CDMA phones are intended for use on Straight Talk service only and you can't activate just any phone on Straight Talk, you need to buy a Straight Talk phone.

Page Plus Cellular also uses the Native Verizon network and will allow a Smartphone but you will need to buy a Verizon branded phone, most android phones are a good choice, many use a Palm Pixi Plus because you can buy them so cheap or you might need to look at an older discontinued phone. Just don't get a 4g device or Iphone as they can't be used on Page Plus. Some have got Blackberries to work, but it's complicated and I haven't been able to do it. If you need a dealer with a physical location to help you, good luck! Page Plus dealers don't make much money on their sales, so often you find someone who don't speak english in the bad part of town. Just note on their $30 monthly plan you only get 100MB of data 1,200 voice minutes and 2,000 text. The unlimited plan only gives you 20MB of data, neither plan is real excellent for a smartphone unless you want to activate the phone and use it without data. It's a good plan for someone who wants a phone like a droid Eris, but doesn't want a data plan. If you want a better phone, you'll have to pay $$$ for it.

It's a far more expensive venture, but you could pay full retail price for a phone or get one off of eBay and activate it on Verizon prepaid. You won't save any money over post paid, but no contract. It's 40 something monthly for the base plan 450 minutes then another 30 for the data plan, but you do get unlimited data. You also get unlimited m2m with verizon, nights & weekends. If you want text, it's extra. I have a friend who pays $120/mo. on this plan for 1 phone. It's not cheap but you have the freedom to just stop paying anytime you wish.

Phone
    Motorola Entice W766
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Which "UNLOCKED GSM phone" do people place the sim card in ? since they are pulling it out of the say "Nokia E71" what are they placing it into some advantage for this if its not a android phone to place it into?

Quote Originally Posted by flash007 View Post
    Straight Talk is exclusive to Walmart so if you want to buy one in a store, you'll have to go there. They have 4 or 5 phones that use the Native Verizon network, none of which are smartphones. People who talk about having a smartphone on Straight Talk get a Nokia GSM phone for around $179, take out the SIM and put it in an UNLOCKED GSM phone. Straight talk CDMA phones are intended for use on Straight Talk service only and you can't activate just any phone on Straight Talk, you need to buy a Straight Talk phone.

Page Plus Cellular also uses the Native Verizon network and will allow a Smartphone but you will need to buy a Verizon branded phone, most android phones are a good choice, many use a Palm Pixi Plus because you can buy them so cheap or you might need to look at an older discontinued phone. Just don't get a 4g device or Iphone as they can't be used on Page Plus. Some have got Blackberries to work, but it's complicated and I haven't been able to do it. If you need a dealer with a physical location to help you, good luck! Page Plus dealers don't make much money on their sales, so often you find someone who don't speak english in the bad part of town. Just note on their $30 monthly plan you only get 100MB of data 1,200 voice minutes and 2,000 text. The unlimited plan only gives you 20MB of data, neither plan is real excellent for a smartphone unless you want to activate the phone and use it without data. It's a good plan for someone who wants a phone like a droid Eris, but doesn't want a data plan. If you want a better phone, you'll have to pay $$$ for it.

It's a far more expensive venture, but you could pay full retail price for a phone or get one off of eBay and activate it on Verizon prepaid. You won't save any money over post paid, but no contract. It's 40 something monthly for the base plan 450 minutes then another 30 for the data plan, but you do get unlimited data. You also get unlimited m2m with verizon, nights & weekends. If you want text, it's extra. I have a friend who pays $120/mo. on this plan for 1 phone. It's not cheap but you have the freedom to just stop paying anytime you wish.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john510 View Post
    Which "UNLOCKED GSM phone" do people place the sim card in ? since they are pulling it out of the say "Nokia E71" what are they placing it into some advantage for this if its not a android phone to place it into?
    You can place it into any phone you want, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, web OS, whatever suits your fancy. That's the beauty of SIM cards, you're not at the carrier's mercy to beg for and obtain their approval for using a particular phone, you pick the phone and use it with your existing SIM, done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    You can place it into any phone you want, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, web OS, whatever suits your fancy. That's the beauty of SIM cards, you're not at the carrier's mercy to beg for and obtain their approval for using a particular phone, you pick the phone and use it with your existing SIM, done.
    Like the majority of consumers even know what a SIM card is.

Phone
    Motorola Entice W766
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow so I can go buy a phone at walmart from say "straight talk" like a e71 and then buy a unloced android smartphone from ebay , and I will have the full features using the straight talk service?

what are the disadvantages of this and what smart phone would you recommend for this? does anything special have to be added to say the sim card or anything else as far as software , etc?

Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Are you looking to start new service or do you have an active account with Verizon ??

Phone
    Motorola Entice W766
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I already have service with Verizon , I want to get away with them .. to expensive..

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Are you looking to start new service or do you have an active account with Verizon ??

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john510 View Post
    I already have service with Verizon , I want to get away with them .. to expensive..
    Has your contract already expired with Verizon ?? If not, you will owe them an early termination fee on your final statement from them.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If going the GSM route, you would be well advised to check the Straight Talk forum before proceeding. You can't get just any GSM Straight Talk phone, it has to be something like the e71, there's only a couple this works with. The next thing is the SIM card is "married" to the phone and the catch is you must keep the e71. If someone else were to attempt to active the phone, Straight Talk would send them a new SIM card and cancel yours, so you need to keep the phone someplace safe where nobody will attempt to use it. Next, while many people are getting the SIM to work in android devices, Straight Talk does not sell devices capable of using large amounts of data so while they call the plan "unlimited" if you use more than 2GB your account will be flagged and monitored closely. You also run the risk they will suspend your account for using too much data, then you have to call CS and explain why you are using so much data, but you can't tell them you put one of their SIM cards in another phone. You need to consider a basic phone has a hard time using 30MB of data so using 2GB is more like impossible. If you use skype, stream video or the like you may have your account shut down. You also need to keep in mind you will be using the AT&T network, NOT Verizon.

At any rate, check with the Straight Talk forum before going that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast