Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Calling - How does it work, exactly?

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wifi Calling - How does it work, exactly?

I'm moving pretty soon, and T-Mobile with the Wifi Calling is very attractive so that way I know I'll have cell service wherever I end up thanks to the use of my home router.

But I'm curious. In order to make a wifi call, I have to go into the specific app for wifi calling, right? Now what about receiving calls. Is there a quick setting to forward all calls via wifi if possible?

I'm looking at it like this. What if I have 0 signal, but I have wifi. How can I make it so my phone rings via wifi if someone calls me?
    Every man dies, but not every man really lives...

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    With Wifi calling as it is on the Androids, there is a Wifi calling app that you use to turn Wifi calling ON or OFF. If you fall out of wifi range, it will automatically switch you back to the cell network. However, if your talking to someone through wifi calling and then walk out of wifi range, your call will drop.

You don't need to do anything to forward calls, if your on wifi calling, calls, sms, and mms are automatically routed through wifi to you.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5, White iPhone 5
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WiFi calling basically takes the place of the cell network when it is turned on. Works just as if you were on the T-Mobile network, with a WiFi signal.

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds good. I just wasn't sure if I needed to do any sort of forwarding to make sure wifi calling works as expected. Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    A couple of questions:

1. Does wifi calling use minutes? Am I able to call international from US without additional charges?
    2. Is it a service I have to sign up for? eg data plans
    3. What's the difference between Wifi Calling and UMA?

Phone
    HTC Sensation
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    A couple of questions:

1. Does wifi calling use minutes? Am I able to call international from US without additional charges?
    If you have a grandfathered plan, then it does use minutes. If you are on one of the newer plans, then just call Customer Care and tell them to add on free WiFi Calling. As for calling international, it will still cost you whatever it normally costs. The calls are still routed through T-Mobile services and the international rates will apply.

2. Is it a service I have to sign up for? eg data plans
    If you have an Android phone, then it should already come with the WiFi Calling app installed. Just go to it and switch it on.

3. What's the difference between Wifi Calling and UMA?
    From what I've heard, WiFi Calling does not allow hand-off between WiFi and the cellular network. So if you are on a WiFi call and are about to go out of WiFi range, your call will drop/end. With UMA, your call can switch from WiFi to cellular and back. I think UMA is only on Blackberry devices but I may be wrong.
    I hope that answers your questions.

Phones
    My Touch 4G Slide
    In the past lots of Motos, a Qualcomm and a few Nokias
    Carriers
    T-Mobile -
    Feedback Score
    UMA is Blackberry and some Nokias. The difference is it is hardware based while WiFi calling on Android is software based. Because of that UMA can automatically work when you are within range of a router while WiFi calling must be toggled on/off so it's not automatic.

Also they will add the free service to a grandfathered plan as they did that for me just today.

Phone
    HTC Sensation
    Carrier
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by InsAgt View Post
    UMA is Blackberry and some Nokias. The difference is it is hardware based while WiFi calling on Android is software based. Because of that UMA can automatically work when you are within range of a router while WiFi calling must be toggled on/off so it's not automatic.

Also they will add the free service to a grandfathered plan as they did that for me just today.
    I don't know how they added it for you. I've asked several times and they always say I have to change to one of the newer plans and extend my contract for 2 years to get it. Not worth it for me. I never get close to my minutes limit so it doesn't affect me too much.

Phones
    My Touch 4G Slide
    In the past lots of Motos, a Qualcomm and a few Nokias
    Carriers
    T-Mobile -
    Feedback Score
    Retentions. I did have to extend my contract, but kept my 8 year old grandfathered plan.

Phone
    BB 9700
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a blackberry that goes to UMA and I've never seen charged calls in my bill. I am on an old Fav 5 1800 minutes plan so I know it's grandfathered. I didn't know WiFi calling had a cost.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good info guys. Some more questions though. I simply have to call t mobile and hasn't them add the feature for wifi calling? I noticed that once I turn on wifi out pops up saying it uses plan minutes. Sounds like a quick fix.

Two other questions though. If I'm on wifi and 3g/4g, what gets used by default? Does wifi take on the bandwidth load if at all possible?

Lastly I was using wifi calling earlier and thought I noticed something. It seems as if speakerphone on wifi calls is a bit quieter than speakerphone on regular calls. Has anybody noticed that our am I mistaken?

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've noticed the same. I also notice much higher audio quality w/ WiFi calling. If you're on WiFi and 3G/4G it all depends on your settings. If the Blue icon is in the status bar and you have no bars that means WiFi calling is active. If you only want WiFi calling to kick in when you have no coverage in a WiFi zone you can put it on Cellular Preferred via the menu. If you want it to be on WiFi calling any time you select WiFi preferred.

Are you postpaid or prepaid? As far as I know only postpaid customers can take advantage of the unlimited WiFi calling feature.

Phone
    LG Optimus T
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I hate to sound like an idiot, but I never understood that, postpaid vs prepaid, contract, no contract, etc. Bottom line - I have a monthly 4g plan (50 bucks unlimited) if that helps.

Several more questions...

In regard to the wifi vs 3g/4g thing, I meant about data. If I have both enabled and I go to www.howardforums.com, which pipe am I using? I would assume wifi to unload on the cellular network, but I wasn't sure.

I just called T-Mobile, and it sounds like the unlimited wifi calling is only for contracted plans and not the monthly plan like I have. It's all good though, because I have the 50$ unlimited plan anyway. I was just curious if it was even possible.

The other thing about wifi calling I noticed is twice now it beeped saying I was almost out of range. Is this just a very overly sensitive sensor? Because where I'm at in the house generally gets 3/4 bars (sometimes 2/4) for most laptops. Just surprised me to see that.

Also, if I use this app I found on my bike ride today known as a GPS tracker app to see how far you've done, do I need data the entire time? Or is there a GPS chip inside that just hits the tower and separates itself from the need for cellular towers? Just curious if the GPS functionality is designed to piggyback cellular towers or if it's a stand-alone chip like what regular car based GPS units have.

EDIT - I also noticed in my menu "use only 2g networks" was checked. Uh, I just got this phone. Is T-Mobile sending these out from the factory defaulting to 2g instead of 3/4g when I'm on a 4g plan? Hummph...
    Last edited by Roasted; 07-30-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You only need data to download the aGPS information, it's a tiny download of information.

If you have WiFi enabled and you are on a WiFi network it uses WiFi.

If it's beeping that means you usually only have a low 2/1 bar of WiFi. The phone will have weaker reception over WiFi than a laptop would. It depends on how weak or low the signal actually is. I get the beeping in my room sometimes but I ignore it because I haven't ever dropped down too low to where data stops transferring and it's ready to be kicked off of the WiFi network.

They are "refurbished" so who knows who was using it before or how renewed it really is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    I have a blackberry that goes to UMA and I've never seen charged calls in my bill. I am on an old Fav 5 1800 minutes plan so I know it's grandfathered. I didn't know WiFi calling had a cost.
    It doesn't have a cost. Without a wifi feature added to your account, it just deducts the minutes from your 1800 (unless you're calling a fav 5 or night/wkd---then it's free, just as if you had been the cellular network instead of wifi.)

As for getting free wifi calling so it doesn't deduct from your bucket, grandfathered family plans can get added to each individual line if the rep knows the trick for doing so.

It was being offered as a freebie to even more & even more plus plans (both individual & family). According to what I've read it is not offered on the new classic & value plans.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast