Thread: MiFi Activation - can't. Help?

Feedback Score

MiFi Activation - can't. Help?

Hi,

Just got a Mifi to try and it lights up solid green to say it has a signal. As soon as I connect with laptop to run the activation wizard I get as far as the "I need to activate", click Next and then the page it tries to open times out/is unreachable. At this point the green LED is flashing which supposedly means no signal. Tried in a couple of locations and I'm in a large city that is bright orange on their 3G coverage map.

Any tips?!! How did you get yours to activate?

Thanks

Phones
    VX9800
    XV6600
    Sidekick II
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's how to do it:

1. Insert the battery and charge it up.

2. Turn it on and connect:
    - Connect to the MiFi 2200 device through the Wi-Fi manager on your computer. The Wi-Fi network will show up as "VirginMobile MiFi2200" on your Wi-Fi manager.
    (This may take a minute or so.)
    - When prompted, enter the password (Network Key) located on the bottom of your MiFi device and click "OK."

IMPORTANT: Do not plug your MiFi device into your computer's USB port. This will prevent the MiFi device from connecting to the internet.

3. Activate and create your account:
    - Open the computer's web browser and go to http://virginmobile.mifi.
    - Enter "admin" as the default password at the MiFi login screen.
    - Follow the prompts to create an account at virginmobileusa.com.
    - Make sure you write down your Account # and MSID.

4. Program your MiFi 2200 device:
    - Enter the new Account # and MSID in the MiFi activation wizard.
    - Click "Finish" and your device will restart.

5. After the device restarts, reconnect to the MiFi 2200 through your computer's Wi-Fi manager.

6. That's it. You can start surfing, emailing, and more.

This is from VM, but look at the part that says dont hook it up to your USB or it want work. I say this coz I found out the hard way. Also the mifi locks up at time and you have to reset it or it want log you on to the net. If it is a signal problem you can log in to the mifi and on the menu check and see how many bars you have. Here is a pdf look on page 14 it show how to look in. The reset is on the bottom, if all of that does not work. call them and make sure they set it up for you.

I have 2 and they work great. Both are on the old 40.00 unlimited plan. I get from 1.1 to 2.7 Mbps

Hope this helps...

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Put it on Ebay, and get rid of it as fast as you can. The MIFI is a piece of junk. You will be sorry you ever bought it. I tried to use mine for two months, constantly resetting it, until I just gave up. Can't compare to AT&T DSL.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Must be you then because between my family and friends there are 3 that I have seen and used... have not heard any issues with them. Speeds are usually pretty good, highest being 2.9mbps, but usually its around 1-1.5mbps
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I used to have problems linking and resetting mine and having to reset the password. But when i started simply using the password on the back and gave up on the password reset it works fine now. I only use it a few weeks a year but it works when i really need it. The account is active for a year after you put any airtime on it. So you just add cash to it before a trip

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    Unlocked Palm Tungsten W
    Unlocked 8125
    Motorola V60
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Rocks
    Feedback Score

dmgo is right

Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    Must be you then because between my family and friends there are 3 that I have seen and used... have not heard any issues with them. Speeds are usually pretty good, highest being 2.9mbps, but usually its around 1-1.5mbps
    I was just checking to see if other people had the same problems I had with the Virgin Mobile MiFi because I was thinking of reactivating mine.

If you run a search here at Howard Forums you can find many posts back in the January-February 2011 time frame complaining about Virgin Mobile MiFi service. I started using my MiFi in October of 2010. By late January 2011 I had reached a life time total data, download and upload, of 4.85GB and I was constantly getting kicked off of service. I kept calling customer service and I got no where with them, they kept telling me I had used up my 5GB of service in January only. Customer service dorks couldn't even correctly read the status logs or.....

Making a guess, I think when VirginMobile instituted data limits on the "unlimited plan" they screwed up and instead of taking the monthly data they took the lifetime data and used that as the limit so people who were near the 5GB limit (lifetime) in January and February couldn't get any kind of service. I don't see similar HoFo posts from March on so Virgin Mobile may have fixed this issue on the sly. If they made that kind of mistake public it would probably cost them a ton of money.

I have called Virgin Mobile customer support a few times since then and I am caught in a catch 22. I won't pay more money unless I know the device is working reliably. They can't promise me any kind of reliability and they can't run any system diagnostics unless I pay more money. They did offer to switch me to a $10 plan for free so I could test the device, but, then I can't be back on the $40 5GB plan. After the $10 I could get a $50 2.5GB plan that may or may not be reliable. I would just have to pay the money to find out...

I have spent about $350 on a total of 4.85GB of total data service across about 4 months for Virgin Mobile including the device and the service.

I have to agree with dmgo, the Virgin Mobile MiFi sucks and service is unreliable and customer service sucks.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am thinking of getting 2 of these devices, and sorry for jackong thread, but online says unlimited data for $50, does that rwally mean only 5 GBS?
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The $50 plan gives you "best effort" 3G bit rate for the first 2.5 GB, then it throttles down to 250 kbps maximum for the rest of the month, unless you spend another $50 to restart early. There is no hard cap on the number of GB used.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, thank you for the info!