Thread: 3G SIM card in 4G phone?

Feedback Score

3G SIM card in 4G phone?

Hi there.

I previously owned a Nokia e71x which was a 3G phone. I had this phone for two years but then upgraded to an HTC Inspire 4G. When I purchased this new phone I expected to get a new SIM card but instead I was told to just use the same one I had been using in the old Nokia.

I was reading on HTC's site that in order to get a good signal (and use 4G) it was important to have a SIM card that supported it. My question is...should I go back to where I purchased this new phone and request a new SIM card or just keep the old one?. Would it improve the signal (I am seeing "H+" next to my bars) and would I lose any data if I replaced it?.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    It really shouldn't matter as long as you have the right data plan on your account. If it makes you feel better you can get a new SIM and you won't lose any data. AT&T doesn't really have a 4G network, they rebadge their enhanced 3G (HSPA+) as 4G like T-Mobile. So the increased data speeds run over the same existing network. Really the only phone capable of true HSPA+ is the Infuse anyways. You should be fine with your current SIM, so unless your having issues I wouldn't worry.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a question, did a search but it did not answer my question, I switched to the inspire and I am still using sim from iphone 3gs, This phone cannot hold on to a signal at all in this area, If I put my sim card in to my old nokia e71x, what happens to data plan? I know you can go smartphone to smart phone, but my data plan was changed to a 4G one even though as stated there really is not 4G. I just want to know if I would have to call in, or can I just use e71x without changing the data plan back to a 3G one?
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Phones
    Galaxy S II
    Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, iPhone 4, Bold 9900, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter if your old SIM card works. New phones don't come with SIM cards. They cost money, and reusing your old, active card is never an issue unless you're going from a 2G card to a 3G phone.