Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you block "Restricted" calls on an AT&T Tracfone?

Feedback Score

Question Can you block "Restricted" calls on an AT&T Tracfone?

Can you block restricted calls on a Tracfone that uses an AT&T sim card?
    I'm getting a lot of calls that say Restricted and Unknown number and would like to block these.
    How ?

The phone I'm using now is the Motorola EX124G

Feedback Score
    Probably not the answer you are looking for, but getting a Google Voice number would let you do this quite easily.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Can you block restricted calls on a Tracfone that uses an AT&T sim card?
    I'm getting a lot of calls that say Restricted and Unknown number and would like to block these.
    How ?

The phone I'm using now is the Motorola EX124G
    The normal option to assign different ringtones to Restricted, Blocked, and Caller ID isn't on this phone. I guess that's the price we pay for now being able to block individual numbers via the blacklist. If you don't have many contacts you want to receive calls from you could put them in a group and assign a ringtone to that group. Then set the default ringtone with a silent ringtone so nobody outside that group would ring your phone. That's one work around.

I side with One2gofst, I have Google Voice and the capabilities are fantastic as long as people call you through that number. I also use it to make all my long distance calls for free from my landline and it's considered a local call.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    BobbyLee: Would you mind posting the procedure for making Free Landline Long distance calls thru GV?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Tracfancier,

If you get into Google Voice and play with the account settings and settings for the individual phones you can make slight changes that change the way you make the free long distance calls;

1. IF YOU CALL FROM A PHONE THAT’S NOT ONE OF YOUR GOOGLE VOICE REGISTERED PHONES:
    To make free long distance calls through your Google Voice number call the number from your landline. When you get the normal answering machine message hit ‘*’ to interrupt it, at that point it should ask for the PIN you established for your Google Voice number. Enter your PIN and it says you have blah blah messages and plays them if you have any, if you have zero messages it says you have zero messages press ‘2’ to make a call or ‘4’ to change your settings. Press ‘2’ and enter the whole 10-digit number you’re calling FOLLOWED by the pound sign ‘#’. Then it will say this is a free call and put your call through. The person you're calling gets Caller ID showing your Google Voice number.

2. IF YOU CALL FROM A PHONE THAT’S REGISTERED ON YOUR GOOGLE VOICE:
    Same as the first description unless you have it set to automatically connect calls from that number to your voicemail, then you skip entering the PIN and it says “You have no new messages, press ‘2’ to make a call or ‘4’ to change your settings.”

3. You can also make them within your Google Voice account by clicking on the Call button (upper left) and specifying which of your registered phones to use. First it calls the registered phone and as soon as you answer then it calls the number you entered and connects them.

4. If you know how to make calls through your Google Mail account, use the account associated with the Google Voice number, then you can make free long distance calls from your computer using a headset and it will show your Google Voice number for the Caller ID.

I have my home phone registered to my Google Voice and have the advanced settings set to automatically connect me with my voicemail. So, when I make long distance calls I dial my local Google Voice number, then select ‘2’ to make a call, and then the 10-digit number I’m calling followed by the pound key and it connects me. I also have my cell phone set to directly access my voicemail so that I can call someone, it will show my Google Voice number on their Caller ID (so they don't get my real cell number), and then dial the number the same way as my landline. Using it on your cell phone doesn't save any costs but it lets people your calling have a contact number for you (your GV # that you can block them from) and it protects your cell phone number. Hope that helps, if you run into a glitch or need clarification post the question.

SIDE NOTE: WORKS FOR ALL U.S. NUMBERS, I'VE CALLED HAWAII MOVIE THEATERS JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY WERE PLAYING.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 07-30-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    BobbyLee: Really appreciate your taking the time to type that all out for me and everyone else it will benefit.

Feedback Score
    So I guess the answer to my question is NO?

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Edited: Restricted as in the caller ID is blocked? If you can see no number listing, then the best recourse is don't answer. You are under no obligation to anyone to answer your phone.

My LG500G has a button designated "Reject," and it works quite well. At my employment, just like MOST retail stores, company vehicle drivers, and many many others, the phone cannot be accessed on the job. Put it on silent mode, have your Fam and Frnds text, no more hassles.

Working retail, I see it all the time - customer is checking out, the phone rings, and the long wait starts, while more customers back up behind them, and the line gets longer. The problem is thinking that the phone Has To Be Obeyed, when in reality, the phone can wait just like the one ringing on the counter, company policy or not.

So, let it ring until you can get back. After all, you wouldn't tolerate them suddenly butting in line while you're checking out to discuss what you need to get at the grocery store. Mature adults know to be polite and take turns. Immature adults are the ones who get bent when they call and aren't immediately answered. Well, they aren't teens anymore, manage their intrusions and let them know you won't be manipulated by their self centered demands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    Edited: Restricted as in the caller ID is blocked? If you can see no number listing, then the best recourse is don't answer. You are under no obligation to anyone to answer your phone.

My LG500G has a button designated "Reject," and it works quite well. At my employment, just like MOST retail stores, company vehicle drivers, and many many others, the phone cannot be accessed on the job. Put it on silent mode, have your Fam and Frnds text, no more hassles.

Working retail, I see it all the time - customer is checking out, the phone rings, and the long wait starts, while more customers back up behind them, and the line gets longer. The problem is thinking that the phone Has To Be Obeyed, when in reality, the phone can wait just like the one ringing on the counter, company policy or not.

So, let it ring until you can get back. After all, you wouldn't tolerate them suddenly butting in line while you're checking out to discuss what you need to get at the grocery store. Mature adults know to be polite and take turns. Immature adults are the ones who get bent when they call and aren't immediately answered. Well, they aren't teens anymore, manage their intrusions and let them know you won't be manipulated by their self centered demands.

Way to answer the OP's question with a, unrelated sermon about electronics etiquette.

to answer the OP's original question, I know of no way to do it with the physical device. That is why I suggested the use of GV.

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One2gofst View Post
    Way to answer the OP's question with a, unrelated sermon about electronics etiquette......
    Thank you One2gofst! You nailed it! That seems to be the trend.
    I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It's not a sermon on phone etiquette, it's a rant about being a slave to the machine. Who's serving whom? The phone is there for who bought it, not a leash for any caller to anonymously ring about whatever. Answering like an obedient sheep every time it rings is exactly the problem. Teach callers not to expect that - either they are recognizable, or don't bother calling.

If the phone can't block the calls, the user has to. First line of defense is turn off the ringtone, put it on vibrate, and screen the number. No caller ID, don't answer. It's a Tracphone, answering costs money. Minutes burned are more minutes to buy, it's not a plan phone for $75 a month unlimited.

You don't spend units of phone etiquette answering anonymous callers, you spend MONEY, and if you use a Tracphone, you already decided to spend less. So, spend less and don't answer. You will be doing many others around you more in phone etiquette units of politeness than answering to some leash jerker.

Sorry that wasn't clear enough the first time, I can try again if this explanation doesn't seem to get it across. I don't expect anyone to post how to block the calls, but if that phone will do it, let us know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirod View Post
    It's not a sermon on phone etiquette, it's a rant about being a slave to the machine. Who's serving whom? The phone is there for who bought it, not a leash for any caller to anonymously ring about whatever. Answering like an obedient sheep every time it rings is exactly the problem. Teach callers not to expect that - either they are recognizable, or don't bother calling.

If the phone can't block the calls, the user has to. First line of defense is turn off the ringtone, put it on vibrate, and screen the number. No caller ID, don't answer. It's a Tracphone, answering costs money. Minutes burned are more minutes to buy, it's not a plan phone for $75 a month unlimited.

You don't spend units of phone etiquette answering anonymous callers, you spend MONEY, and if you use a Tracphone, you already decided to spend less. So, spend less and don't answer. You will be doing many others around you more in phone etiquette units of politeness than answering to some leash jerker.

Sorry that wasn't clear enough the first time, I can try again if this explanation doesn't seem to get it across. I don't expect anyone to post how to block the calls, but if that phone will do it, let us know.
    Crystal clear the first time that you wanted to barge into the thread and pontificate on something outside the scope of what the OP was asking. I am sure he appreciates your input as much as a guy asking where to get a good burger appreciates when you tell him how horrible burgers are not only in that they inhumanely torture poor, innocent cows, but also clog his arteries and will surely lead to an early grave.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I don't know of a way to block calls from the phone. If there are certain known phone numbers you know you don't want to answer, either ignore it, or you could assign those phone numbers to a Group Name (let's say you decide to call the Group "Rejects"), then you could add the phone numbers to this Group. Then go to this Group "Rejects" and assign it a custom Ringtone (display the Group, then click the "notebook" looking button to the left of Add button, click Edit, then click the box under Group Ringtone and select a ringtone). Now when an unwanted number calls from this, you will recognize it by the ringtone and you can just ignore it.

Me, I ignore calls from numbers that I don't recognize, or that don't display the phone number (by terminating them) - I refuse to waste the minutes for possible crank calls or for solicitations. If it's important, they'll leave a message. Then I'll access my voice mail via landline (for free) to see if it was an "important" call.

Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Trash talk all you want, how about an answer to the OP's question: Can you block Caller ID restricted numbers?

If yes, please inform the OP on the simple menu selection that does it.

NO, then alternative answers are provided above, none from the trash talkers - who haven't contributed to our overall knowledge at all, just put down suggestions on what new behaviors will help to prevent further annoyance.

Jump in and point fingers all you want, please contribute something for the OP in the attempt. So far, nada. More controversy than help at all. Put up an alternate solution.

Feedback Score
    I did, second post, genius.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast