Thread: My new LG 800g - after 3 days NO SOUND - touch list menus also weird at same time

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Best no-contract deal (TracFone works)
    Feedback Score

My new LG 800g - after 3 days NO SOUND - touch list menus also weird at same time

I was just congratulating myself on getting a lucky LG 800g that wasn't a bad one.

It works rather well except for two things. The BIG one is the sound on it quit yesterday, sometime between 2:00 and 6:00 pm. I mean NO SOUND, only touchscreen vibration. When I call out or when calls come in I can't hear either the ringtone or the other party's voice.

This happened right after I did a Bluetooth search looking for my old my old phone, in order to move data from one phone to the other - with no success. And after that NO sound ...NONE!

I can hear voice calls only if I plug headphones into the audio jack, on top of the phone. Then I hear ringtones, touch tones, and caller voice no problem. My guess is that the LG 800g - after the aborted attempt to link with my old phone - must still 'THINK' it's in the Bluetooth connection mode. ...Even after I've turned off the Bluetooth feature on the LG 800 altogether.

Something is either wrong in the software or in the hardwired electronics I think. I'd guess the speaker is just fine.

The other problem is since the voice situation got all messed up, the touchscreen gets a little fluky when trying to pick out new ringtones to test, or when picking some other list menu items. It seems to ignore my selections about 35% of the time. Not good!

If ANYONE can shed some light on all this, I'd appreciate it. Today being Monday I am still reluctant to call Cust Serv. I would like to work around TracFone's tel. based service people if possible, at least for the present. It could be a crap shoot. And I want to avoid trading to a Motorola X 124g unless there proves no other way to resolve my two problems.

If any TracFone wizards here see this please help! I'll wait a bit before making any calls to TracFone. Thanks...

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I don't have the LG800G but it does sound like software issues. Have you tried pulling the battery while it's on, leave it off for awhile (a few minutes), and then put it back together and turn it on? Try that and see if it improves any of your issues. On the EX124G it really wants you to turn off the Bluetooth device before it allows you to turn off the phone's Bluetooth power so you're probably right that it thinks it's in Bluetooth mode, especially since you get everything when you plug in a headset.

Feedback Score
    Try removing the battery while the phone is on. Then it should reset when it gets powered up again.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I don't have the LG800G but it does sound like software issues. Have you tried pulling the battery while it's on, leave it off for awhile (a few minutes), and then put it back together and turn it on? Try that and see if it improves any of your issues. On the EX124G it really wants you to turn off the Bluetooth device before it allows you to turn off the phone's Bluetooth power so you're probably right that it thinks it's in Bluetooth mode, especially since you get everything when you plug in a headset.
    I've tried pulling the battery as you and the other poster suggested. Nope... nothin' new. ...Still giving me the silent treatment.

Now that it can't speak, chirp, or tweetle, does that make it a "dumb phone?"

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    You could turn Bluetooth on, delete all the devices you paired with off the phone, then turn Bluetooth off. Double check the sound profile you're phone is using, change it to something else and then change it back. I have a LG231C that goes totally silent once in awhile for no reason, on that phone I have to hit the up button until it starts making sounds again, haven't figured out why that happens yet. I'm just throwing out ideas I would try if that was my phone, sorry if it doesn't help.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    You could turn Bluetooth on, delete all the devices you paired with off the phone, then turn Bluetooth off.
    Yes, this. One of my friends had a problem with her LG 800g where the Bluetooth seemed to always stay on. She did that, then pulled out the battery and everything was fine.

Wow, the LG 800g is really cursed, isn't it. So many different problems. I'm thinking about dumping mine for a LG 500g.....

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Hmmmm... thanks guys I'll give it a whirl. And I'll let ya know if it worked.

I have to say - based on what I'm reading on this forum and elsewhere - it seems LG is trying too hard to keep up with Apple, and others. LG obviously must be pushing their programers to produce far too much machine code far too fast. This is in most cases always a recipe for disaster. The first thing that typically happens is endless loops (bad logic) all over the place - these buggy loops are earmarked by things getting stuck just like this.

A goto-goto command (aka... endless loop) is what happens when a devices' internal coding is not properly checked - let alone debugged after any problem is detected. Someone at LG is forcing things a bit too fast - and this is what nearly always happens. No one there seems to be debugging the embedded software nearly enough.

Just my two-cents-worth.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vintic View Post
    Yes, this. One of my friends had a problem with her LG 800g where the Bluetooth seemed to always stay on. She did that, then pulled out the battery and everything was fine.

Wow, the LG 800g is really cursed, isn't it. So many different problems. I'm thinking about dumping mine for a LG 500g.....
    I tried all of he things suggested to no avail. ...called TracFone Cust Serv today and after 27 minutes was disconnected. ...Called back waited 20 minutes. An hour an 15 minutes later, after a litany of severely almost silly questions - after my patience was frying raw - they decided to send me a new phone. It'll be here in a few days by FedEx or USPS as a fallback.

I have always tried to be patent with these people - not speaking English well has got to be trying for them in an English language technical call. But today, after two service reps, I realized lots of the dumb questions were intentional. Either to make certain things were covered, or to frustrate many callers away.

I never, ever, ever, call TracFone unless it's a dire situation.

I guess their strategy works. The first guy had trouble in English, but the second guy spoke English almost as well as I do. Both guys read a list of similar very dumb questions, obviously from a script - there were repeated key phrases frequently used, more than what would be normal I think.

The second guy really was getting the better of me. I almost lost it, but I managed to be polite - if with a little bit of edge on my voice. I think he got the message, stop messing around with the silly mundane repetitive stuff, once I began repeating myself to make it clear I didn't want to chase the same thing around all day.

I was pretty tired after the call. That was the first time I felt my patience wane with these people. But I still managed to wish him a "good day," at the end of the call.

God, oh please, let the next phone work as advertised!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Textin & drivin View Post
    I tried all of he things suggested to no avail. ...called TracFone Cust Serv today and after 27 minutes was disconnected. ...Called back waited 20 minutes. An hour an 15 minutes later, after a litany of severely almost silly questions - after my patience was frying raw - they decided to send me a new phone. It'll be here in a few days by FedEx or USPS as a fallback.

I have always tried to be patent with these people - not speaking English well has got to be trying for them in an English language technical call. But today, after two service reps, I realized lots of the dumb questions were intentional. Either to make certain things were covered, or to frustrate many callers away.

I never, ever, ever, call TracFone unless it's a dire situation.

I guess their strategy works. The first guy had trouble in English, but the second guy spoke English almost as well as I do. Both guys read a list of similar very dumb questions, obviously from a script - there were repeated key phrases frequently used, more than what would be normal I think.

The second guy really was getting the better of me. I almost lost it, but I managed to be polite - if with a little bit of edge on my voice. I think he got the message, stop messing around with the silly mundane repetitive stuff, once I began repeating myself to make it clear I didn't want to chase the same thing around all day.

I was pretty tired after the call. That was the first time I felt my patience wane with these people. But I still managed to wish him a "good day," at the end of the call.

God, oh please, let the next phone work as advertised!

It helps if you get liquered up before calling.

Feedback Score
    I can't spend an hour & 15 minutes talking to anyone on a phone, much less CS at any company.
    I like the liquor idea though.....

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity, make a call and then put it on speakerphone. Any changes?

Could be hardware related too. Lotta possibilities. Being I work on electronics, I visualize these things

It's interesting that you get audio out of the headphone jack....

Until I visited the FCC web site for internal pictures ( See pic number 5 ) I was going to suggest gently 'warping' the phone to see if it would spring back to life, and take a hint of WD-40 to he headphone plug and insert it a dozen times to clean a mechanical switch that signals to switch from speaker to headphones, or does it entirely mechanically.

Lousy picture #5 on FCC website shows the foil side of the board where I can see the internal (for the ear) speaker and the headphone jack to the left of it. That does not look like the type of jack that makes and breaks a direct path to the speaker. And as far as the speaker goes, that looks like a strange colored ribbon (in place of wires) jutting out. I was hoping that this was a pressure pad type speaker (not soldered). Some times warping the board will get them going again in the pressure pad case if you could not get the thing apart. So much for that.

I tried. I don't have an LG800G myself, so I can't experiment.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Textin & drivin,

I'm not sure but check/try - Settings, Call, Common Settings, BT Answer Mode and mine is set for To Answered Device. The 2 other choices are Always to Handsfree or always to handset. Please let us know if that was it.

Steve

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K-L-M View Post
    Out of curiosity, make a call and then put it on speakerphone. Any changes?

Could be hardware related too. Lotta possibilities. Being I work on electronics, I visualize these things

It's interesting that you get audio out of the headphone jack....

Until I visited the FCC web site for internal pictures ( See pic number 5 ) I was going to suggest gently 'warping' the phone to see if it would spring back to life, and take a hint of WD-40 to he headphone plug and insert it a dozen times to clean a mechanical switch that signals to switch from speaker to headphones, or does it entirely mechanically.

Lousy picture #5 on FCC website shows the foil side of the board where I can see the internal (for the ear) speaker and the headphone jack to the left of it. That does not look like the type of jack that makes and breaks a direct path to the speaker. And as far as the speaker goes, that looks like a strange colored ribbon (in place of wires) jutting out. I was hoping that this was a pressure pad type speaker (not soldered). Some times warping the board will get them going again in the pressure pad case if you could not get the thing apart. So much for that.

I tried. I don't have an LG800G myself, so I can't experiment.
    I couldn't access the link (pic #5). It says "you are not authorized to access this page." I imagine I'd have to register or something somewhere - not sure, but I don't have the online permissions required.

I'd be a little leery about squirting WD-40 into any cell phone. WD-40 is notoriously bad for many things like handguns and rifles, delicate precision instruments, etc.; I know that for a fact. I'd think ISO-alcohol, or a mixture with 25-50% acetone, would be far better to anything like WD-40. WD-40 might be perfectly harmless, but knowing how that stuff reacts to many delicate mechanisms I'd be reluctant just the same. ...Especially since TracFone expects the old phone back after they send the new one, now in transit. WD-40, most people don't realize, is mildly abrasive and contains just about zero lubrication qualities - which is why many gun-nuts won't let it near their weapons.

I can see how flexing a circuit board might fix or temporarily restore proper operation - I've been there and done that - but unless I'm stuck with the phone I have I'd not want to poke around too much physically.

If TracFone comes through, I'll have a new one by next Wednesday. If all else fails Target Stores has a fall back 90 day warranty. In either case, I don't think WD-40 dripping out, or the obvious smell of it, would enhance any return for refund transaction.

But thanks for the suggestion... I believe this is a software/firmware issue. I think hardware would be a last thing to check, and that only after an exhaustive test of the on-board programming.

Phones
    LG 800G & LG enV3
    LG800G
    LG enV3
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve0999 View Post
    Textin & drivin,

I'm not sure but check/try - Settings, Call, Common Settings, BT Answer Mode and mine is set for To Answered Device. The 2 other choices are Always to Handsfree or always to handset. Please let us know if that was it.

Steve
    I checked all three modes and tried calling up several ringtones from the sounds menu. No dice all three did the same thing - no sound whatsoever come out.