Thread: Samsung Infuse 4G (AT&T) to Straight Talk - can I use $45/mo plan?

Feedback Score

Samsung Infuse 4G (AT&T) to Straight Talk - can I use $45/mo plan?

Hi all,

AT&T is making a materially adverse change just 3 months after I renewed for two years. I will notify them soon that I do not agree with the change. I'm considering porting to Straight Talk.

The Infuse is basically a souped up Captivate. If I get the $45/mo plan, do I get unlimited talk/text/data, even on a smartphone? Is it HSDPA? 3G? EDGE? Only GPRS?

Unlocking my existing phone is not an issue.

ST is an AT&T Mobile Virtual Network Operator, correct? So anywhere I get great AT&T service I'll get identical service on Straight Talk?

Thanks for the information and helping a newbie out. I don't have unlimited data on AT&T, or unlimited calling. To get that AND to get it for much cheaper would be a huge boon for me.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    What materially adverse change affects you? If you are talking about data speed reduction. it only affects those on unlimited data plans who use a lot of data. Is it worth paying $295 to end your contract plus $200 to purchase a Straight Talk phone whose SIM card you can use in your phone? If you use more data than the average Straight Talk user, your plan will be terminated. Any funds on account will be lost.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Materially adverse change is the increase on Premium Mobile Equipment Protection which affects all of my lines.
    Monthly price will go from $4.99/mo to $6.99/mo.
    Deductible per phone will go from $125/mo to $199/mo.

I have to put the feature on my phone within 30 days of upgrade/new equipment activation and if I drop it, I lose it according to AT&T. Therefore, I had to commit to having the feature at that price when I re-upped my contract 3 months ago.

So if I use more data than average (which may be 1KB more than the mean), I get cutoff? Man, they must lose a lot of people. I'm not planning on tethering or anything, but I might update my apps and watch some streaming video. Not turn it into a portable webserver or wifi spot.

Feedback Score
    That's right.

In order to put your Infuse4G on Straight Talk, you have to purchase either of the Nokia phones (e71, e5, or 6790 - each $200) because they have the open SIM card. All other GSM Straight Talk phone will have a LOCKED sim card that will NOT work on other phones. And you CANNOT sell the phone and just keep the sim card! The SIM card and phone are "married" to each other... but they don't have to play together, heheee.

Also since you have a new contract with AT&T expect to pay an Early Termination Fee around $300 to get out!

And as far as "Unlimited Everything" plan from Straight Talk. It's been determined by this community that unlimited calling and texts within the USA is legit. HOWEVER, Straight Talk seems to have a 2gb cap per month on data. If you go over 2gb, then Straight Talk will cut off your data making you call their CSR and explain why you're a "heavy" data user.

I've been with Straight Talk for a few months. I'm very happy with the service. Most data I ever used was my first month (1.8gb). I swapped the SIM card from my e71 and put it inside an iPhone. Smartphones are amazing mobile computers!! Now I combine WiFi and typically only use 700mb a month.

Regarding your situation. It looks to me that you're going to spend a lot to get out of AT&T and get on Straight Talk. You might want to crunch the numbers and see if it's worth pursuing IMHO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    I've been with Straight Talk for a few months. I'm very happy with the service. Most data I ever used was my first month (1.8gb). I swapped the SIM card from my e71 and put it inside an iPhone. Smartphones are amazing mobile computers!! Now I combine WiFi and typically only use 700mb a month.

Regarding your situation. It looks to me that you're going to spend a lot to get out of AT&T and get on Straight Talk. You might want to crunch the numbers and see if it's worth pursuing IMHO.
    The increase in the mobile equipment insurance price since I entered contract constitutes a materially adverse change:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoth AT&T
    Carriers will not modify the material terms of their subscribers' contracts in a manner that is materially adverse to subscribers without providing a reasonable advance notice of a proposed modification and allowing subscribers a time period of not less than 14 days to cancel their contracts with no early termination fee.
    Mobile insurance premiums and deductibles are going up in October:
    Effective Oct. 4, 2011, the premium will increase to $6.99 per enrolled mobile number.
    [...]
    Device Tier 3: Devices will be charged a $199* non-refundable deductible. Deductible Tier 3 will become effective October 4, 2011. On this date, certain devices including the iPhone will be moved to this tier.
    AT&T forces you to enroll during the device return period and does not allow you to re-add the feature if you drop it mid-contract after that time:
    You can enroll in the optional AT&T Mobile Insurance when you activate or upgrade your AT&T device. You must enroll within 30 days of activation or upgrade. View a full list of eligible devices and their applicable deductibles or call Asurion at 888-562-8662. In the event that enrollment was requested and not accepted due to an ineligible device, you will receive a notice and a credit on your billing statement for any premium payment paid.
    The premium increase alone constitutes a materially adverse change and is unconscionable. If AT&T is not happy to assist me on their own, I would be more than willing to discuss it with them with the Georgia Attorney General's Office, my state's Attorney General's office, the Federal Communications Commission, and the Federal Trade Commission as well.

Sprint tried to pull the same garbage a few years back on me. Once the FCC got involved, they yielded.

I do not anticipate having an ETF as a result. I will, of course, wait until AT&T gives assurances that no ETF will be entailed before switching.

Mobile equipment insurance is a service of AT&T to which I subscribe. The price increase is an increase on a service provided by AT&T via Asurion as a partner, and thusly, constitutes a reason for cancellation:

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST looks at daily useage of data. As if to multiply daily useage by the 30 days of the plan to forecast your total 30 day useage. You usually receive a courtesy warning call before having your data cut if you were to continue high useage.

Feedback Score
    I doubt I will use too much. I'm mostly on Wi-Fi, and I typically use >~500MB a month. I'm petrified to stream music or video though, which drastically cuts that usage whilst on AT&T.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muchadoaboutnot View Post
    Materially adverse change is the increase on Premium Mobile Equipment Protection which affects all of my lines.
    Monthly price will go from $4.99/mo to $6.99/mo.
    Deductible per phone will go from $125/mo to $199/mo.

I have to put the feature on my phone within 30 days of upgrade/new equipment activation and if I drop it, I lose it according to AT&T. Therefore, I had to commit to having the feature at that price when I re-upped my contract 3 months ago.

So if I use more data than average (which may be 1KB more than the mean), I get cutoff? Man, they must lose a lot of people. I'm not planning on tethering or anything, but I might update my apps and watch some streaming video. Not turn it into a portable webserver or wifi spot.
    The change would have to apply to an existing contract for you to be materially affected. You are not required to purchase insurance. That is your choice. The carrier simply sells the service on behalf of a third party.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The change would have to apply to an existing contract for you to be materially affected. You are not required to purchase insurance. That is your choice. The carrier simply sells the service on behalf of a third party.
    AT&T has an existing contract to provide mobile equipment insurance to me with them using Asurion as a provider.

As Mobile Equipment Insurance is a service offered to me by AT&T, and it the change in its price affects me in a material adverse fashion (vs when I subscribed), it is a materially adverse change.

Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.
    AT&T offers the insurance as a service to its customers: Continental Causalty Company underwrites it and Asurion administers it. However, the service is offered to me as a consumer by AT&T and they directly bill me for its usage, and offer it as a service through them (fulfilled via a third party) when they offered the device to me.

English T&C to the insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    AT&T Mobile Insurance (formerly known as Wireless Phone Insurance) is underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company, and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC, CNA’s licensed agent for the customers of AT&T.
    Now, CNA & Asurion administer the program; however, AT&T uses them as their licensed underwriters. I pay AT&T for the service of having mobile equipment protection, and they pay whatever cost to Asurion/CNA. As such, AT&T's price increase is a materially adverse price increase that they have decided to levy on the service that they provide me (I don't pay CNA directly; AT&T determines the cost of the premium, at a minimum.)

Thusly, it is an AT&T service that falls under the materially adverse clause.

Indeed, the AT&T Wireless Subscriber terms make no mention of services being optional or required to be eligible for early cancellation without penalty if materially adverse changes are performed. It just says "any service to which you subscribe".

Indeed, Asurion and CNA directly out AT&T as the service provider:
    Quote Originally Posted by Asurion/CNA
    The coverage provided to you by this Certificate is in connection with and related to services provided to you by your Services Provider
    [...]

N. “Service Provider” means: AT&T.
    Thusly, it is certain that it IS a service offered by AT&T, even if it is underwritten & administered by a third party.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Straight talk is ok as long as you use it for like a long time, initial outlay is big but the savings come monthly. I was happy with it for like 8 months, but then my wife wanted a smartphone so i thought we'd just go with verizon before the unlimited data end since ST monitors the data usage with an eagle eye.
    I think ST is fine as long as you use it with 1 line, but with family plans it makes more sense going with verizon because after you break down the cost per line it should come about the same, plus i get 18% discount on the line and 20% on the features so it even makes more sense.

Feedback Score
    Is that 18%/20% per line automatic for any Verizon plan, or is that a specific discount to the business you work at?

I have a comparably paltry 8% AT&T FAN discount. I don't think my employer offers any comparable discounts with Verizon.

Not accounting for any verizon discounts, my current AT&T plan is at least $40 less pretax (vs. a family plan with the same features added on verizon), plus it lacks some features.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    To Original Poster:
    The brochure here says that the plan is month-to-month. There is no long time commitment to fixed premiums.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en...149E_FINAL.pdf

If you have five phones, you would be paying $420 per year to cover just two of them plus the deductibles. Does it make economic sense to even have the insurance?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I get 18% on the family plan so $70 the 20% applies to my features. The other line doesn't get any discount.