Thread: Samsung Restore (M570/M575) anyone get the navigation to work?

Feedback Score

Samsung Restore (M570/M575) anyone get the navigation to work?

My wife just got the Restore and it's been working fine except for the navigation. Both the Navigation on the menu, as well as in the apps point to some virgin mobile webpage, but always loads up with an error saying that it's not compatible with the phone's software. This is pretty useless...

Google maps java program works okay (although the GPS is slow to pick up location)... but has anyone got a Restore out there that has the Navigation app/link working properly?

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I managed to fix this error myself.

I tried contacting Virgin customer and tech support, who were utterly useless after a week of correspondance.

I managed to find the link to re-download Virgin Navigator, which said that the version on my phone is old and outdated. No wonder it didn't work... After I downloaded version 4.1.1, it's finally running.

So Virgin just uploads old **** that may or may not work as firmware on their phones without thorough testing, and their techs have the knowledge of a piece of turd. I guess that's what $25/month gets these days.

Feedback Score
    im having the same problem with my Restore, but i haven't the slightest idea of how to "re-download" the Navigator app...care to post that on here?

Feedback Score
    It's actually a real PITA because I found out on the side that Virgin Navigator is a fee-service.... $1/day or $5/month... And since the phone supports google maps, navigator is pretty much a useless expense.

Nevertheless, to get the right version, you need to subscribe to it by logging into your account on the virgin website, go to the downloads tab and search for navigator. It'll tell you that you need to pay for $1/day or $5/month (it'll be debited from your account so long as you have some $$ in there). Once you pay for it, it'll text you a link to download the latest version. Clicking the link on the text downloads and overwrites the old link to Navigator. I did the $1 just to get the download, and it does work okay, but haven't paid since.

Feedback Score

Navigator or Agrivator?

[QUOTE=mtlphone;14494441]My wife just got the Restore and it's been working fine except for the navigation. Both the Navigation on the menu, as well as in the apps point to some virgin mobile webpage, but always loads up with an error saying that it's not compatible with the phone's software. This is pretty useless...

Better than useless. Got an M575 from Virgin. It is a good fit for my needs and wallet. In anticipation of a longish car trip; signed up for and downloaded the $5 license and (presumably the latest version of the app.) [I bought a wooden whistle, but it wooden whistle. I bought a steel whistle, bit steel it wooden whistle. I bought a tin whistle. Now I tin whistle]

The interface looks very appealing, but I kept getting an error message that it "couldn't process my GPS request." Made sure the GPS was "on"; no help.

Called tech support. After long slog through voice menus (call us from another phone) spoke with earnest "advisor". After performing the mundane checks etc. "Hmmmmmnn. . . maybe the problem is at our end. Try again in four hours. If still no go; call back."

Now it's drive-time. Six hours later, halfway across the state of PA - bit steel it wooden whistle.
    Now I'm hep to the jive. Called from my wife's VM phone. Silicone-based life form: "I see you're calling from your VM handset. Hang up and call us from another line." Me: (screaming into the void) "I am calling you from another line."

Beaucoup $$$ calling from hotel phone, wade through menus, reach carbon-based life-form, persuade her to call back to wife's phone. So far so good.

"Hmmmmmmmnnnn. . . Well, you have two options. Option one means you'll lose all your contact info (all the numbers I'd need at the other end of the trip) and no guarantee of success. Option two will take about four days to process (by then I'll be back with no need for the app).

Had an oryx giving birth to a gnu. "Sorry for your inconvenience. Yes, we'll remove the app from your phone. Yes, we'll credit your "Top-Up" for the $5. And here's an additional 10 Top-Up $$ for your inconvenience."

Gotta give credit where credit is due. They are unfailingly polite and will do, what they are capable of, to help and mollify. The app - if it can be made to work - looks like a nifty-galifty. If not, I can hardly wait to load up on Milli Vanilli ringtones.

Next time I'm going on the road will attempt again; with about 6 days lead time to let them get their act together.

And no, as a geezer, I loathe small screens.