Thread: Import contacts into LG500G

Feedback Score

Import contacts into LG500G

Is it possible to import contacts from Windows Contacts or Blackberry Contacts or even some other form like a CSV file into the LG500G with TracFone service?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm looking for info, but I"m trying to do this. Trying to clean up and export from gmail address book.
    I have tried to export to .vcf, then import to the LG500g but no luck so far.
    It is mapping the name and the emails, but non of the numbers are transferring. I have tried doing this by importing one .vcf fine. Also tried by using BT to xfer 1 individual contact from my Android phone to the LG500, but that's not working either. Same issue, xfers data, but not phone #s.

May try to manupulate in excel and play with it.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like something is not right with the .VCF format (extra characters like dashes?) and so the phone numbers are being stripped out.

One VCF per contact. Have a 100 contacts= 100 VCF's.

I know it will take a .VCF version 2.1. I don't know about higher versions.

I have a LG500G and the .VCFs I have sent over had names numbers emails, etc. and it does work. I built up my address book with Windows, then copied all the individual .VCFs out of address book onto the hard drive. From there, I transferred from PC to 500 via Bluetooth. Also I had all my .VCFs picked up from the micro SD card.

I think you got the right idea on manipulating one of the files you have to see what the trouble is.

Additionally, here is something I suggested in the past. With your LG500G, add a new contact and fill out every entry you possibly can that the phone offers. Save that contact, and export. You now have a template of exactly what the LG500G can handle.

Good luck!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    This was more trouble than it was worth, but here's what I did.
    Gmail exports .vcf's in 3.0 in one single file, and I couldn't get that to work. Yahoo exports 2.1 and can do single or multiple files. Tried that, but still had the problem with phone numbers.

What I did is exported my gmail contacts to a .csv. Then opened the .csv and "stripped" the fields to a minimal set consisting of: Name, office #, mobile #, home#, page#, email, company name, title, notes. Then I imported these into Outlook 2010, and saved each contact entry (.vcf) to the DB folder on the memory card on the phone.

I could not in any scenario get files to display properly on the phone unless the number was formatted to remove all "(" ")" or "-" and spaces i.e. (999) 555-1212 had to be converted to 9995551212. To do this, I had to edit each .vcf in notepad and remove the characters. Outlook automatically defaulted to the (999) area code format and I could not figure out how to change this.

Then, on the phone, highlight each .vcf file, selection Options>Save to Contacts.

There is probably a better way, but I could not find it. Figuring out options for Outlook phone# formatting would probably help, at least then would not need to manually edit each .vcf file in Notepad.

There is supposedly an LG "Mobile Outlook Sync" program that works with LG "feature" phones, but I could not locate the software. As you can imagine, there was zero technical info, support, or documentation for the LG500 on either the LG site or the Tracfone site.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aca2983 View Post
    There is supposedly an LG "Mobile Outlook Sync" program that works with LG "feature" phones, but I could not locate the software. As you can imagine, there was zero technical info, support, or documentation for the LG500 on either the LG site or the Tracfone site.
    Just FYI, don't waste your time looking for that "Mobile Outlook Sync" software that works with LG phones, our Tracfone phones DO NOT have the LG OS. Tracfone phones that are made by LG are not 'LG phones' they're 'LG manufactured phones', feature or not. Any software for an LG phone will most likely not work with a Tracfone. Tracfone has LG build the phones to Tracfone's specs with Tracfone's OS.

Here is a good example, there is an LG LG420G that LG sells and a Tracfone LG420G for Tracfone to distribute, the only thing the two have in common is the shell/casing. The LG version takes a memory card, has a higher resolution camera (1.3 MP), records video, a dataport for hooking to your computer, and has LG's OS. The Tracfone version has no memory card, a crappy VGA camera, no video, a dataport that is locked out so you cannot connect to your computer via that port, and a severely locked down OS.

Now if you want a good laugh goto the LG support forum and read the complaints from Tracfone LG420G users trying to get help. LG techs are talking about their model, Tracfone users are talking about their version, it's hilarious.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 03-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.