Thread: The problem with most ALL Net10 phones at Walmart & most Retailers!!!

Feedback Score

Question The problem with most ALL Net10 phones at Walmart & most Retailers!!!

so i just got back from scouting out walmart, best buy, target, family dollar for a couple net10 phones...

and came back empty handed even after 2hrs (and did i mention i hate shopping?)

why???

cuz theyre all GSM!!!!

huyyy and so i just took another look at net10 and only the GSM phones come with 1st month free cards, nothing an incentive to buy the CMDA. whyyyyy

oh and how do i tell if a model is ATT rather than cheapo Tmo???

thxxx

Feedback Score
    Unless you can't get GSM coverage it shouldn't matter. If you really want CDMA, consider getting a Straight Talk phone, those are almost all cdma. Also Metro PCS is cdma, sprint brands are cdma, etc.

Still, buying bulk minutes on gsm(tracfone) is the cheapest per month cost and probably will be for some time. Nobody's goning lower than 4 cents a minute in bulk minutes (with all discounts, bonuses & double/triple minute deals inclusive) unless your on an unlimited plan and use lots of minutes.

Carriers
    verizon wireless
    t mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.3.25172/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Almost all new straight talk phones are also gsm. I think only 4 straight talk phones are cdma. Theres posts all over this forum on how to tell the difference between att and t mobile sims. The reason for trac/net/ straight talk to be mainly gsm is simple business. They get a cheaper deal from att/ tmobile than they do from verizon.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc8080 View Post
    If you really want CDMA, consider getting a Straight Talk phone, those are almost all cdma.
    From what has been stated on many other forums it sounds like the contract between Tracfone and Verizon for the StraightTalk CDMA calling plans only gets StraightTalk customers the equivalent coverage as Verizon Prepaid customers while the Tracfone and Net10 folks get to use the full Verizon network. So, if that is true and you're going to go with Tracfone for CDMA service, use Tracfone or Net10 not StraightTalk.

In general most retailers sell the Tracfone/Net10 ATT GSM phones to keep the returns down to a minimum. Someone else stated that and as far as I've seen it seems to hold true, I've never acquired a T-Mobile SIM Tracfone from a retail store. I did get T-Mobile SIM cards when I ordered direct from Tracfone using my real zip code, I don't use my real zip anymore I use the zip that gets me the phone I want. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    since u guys are talking about ST, does straighttalk have anything equal or better to net10's $25/mo monthly plan. 750min a months is generous for my parents plus they have unlimited texts and web which is grrrreat not that they would use those much but yea, Net10 25mo is the cheapest i could find so far.. whether gsm or cdma one thing i know is even here in nyc metro, verizon > tmo = att, actually!! imo

Feedback Score
    Net10's $25 plan seems like a great deal and if that's all you need, then it's great (750 minutes). ST's $30 plan offers a lot more for five bucks. 1000 minutes/1000 messages/30 megs. Page Plus's 29.95 plan offers even more: 1200 minutes/2000 messages/100 megs and bring your own device with most Verizon phones/cdma phones.

As for Net10, I like them better then ST because an independent dealer is allowed to sell them , unlike ST which is a Walmart only product.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    In general most retailers sell the Tracfone/Net10 ATT GSM phones to keep the returns down to a minimum. Someone else stated that and as far as I've seen it seems to hold true, I've never acquired a T-Mobile SIM Tracfone from a retail store.
    If it helps, Walmart has both the AT&T and T-Mobile (in a few stores) versions of the LG 500g.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Net10's $25 plan seems like a great deal and if that's all you need, then it's great (750 minutes). ST's $30 plan offers a lot more for five bucks. 1000 minutes/1000 messages/30 megs. Page Plus's 29.95 plan offers even more: 1200 minutes/2000 messages/100 megs and bring your own device with most Verizon phones/cdma phones.

As for Net10, I like them better then ST because an independent dealer is allowed to sell them , unlike ST which is a Walmart only product.
    ^ i didnt even know PP has a 29.95 monthly plan. i will look into it. i signed on to be a dealer for them in 2006 for a short while but it seemed so startuppy. and everything done thru the phone thru some guy with strong accent and nothing online.. back then. i just looked at the page and it looks homemade. but oh well, they will grew. i remember when boost advertised byo phone now u hav to bend over backwards on a 50/50 with its own carriers phones (!) and metropcs used to flash all cdma(?) phones back in the day when they was fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by vintic View Post
    If it helps, Walmart has both the AT&T and T-Mobile (in a few stores) versions of the LG 500g.

how do ya guys differentiate b/w da 2, huh??

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vintic View Post
    I've never run into a T-Mobile SIMed Tracfone/Net10/StraightTalk phone in my area from any retailer. I've seen both AT&T and T-Mobile LG500Gs available on Walmart's web site but our Walmarts only sell the AT&T SIM phones (thank goodness) in the store unless you special order one, probably because T-Mobile really sucks around here. Interesting to know it isn't guaranteed you'll get an AT&T card.

zindabad,
    If you can check the model number on the item you should be able to tell. On Walmart's web site the T-Mobile version is model# TFLG500GP5PDM and the AT&T version is model# TFLG500GP4DM. The 4 in the model number is a good indicator it's on AT&T while the 5 is a good indicator it's on T-Mobile. If anyone knows more please post because that's all I've found so far.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    For units on the peg at a retailer, the info BobbyLee described applies as well. There will be a printed white label on the bottom of the box with the model number string. That which includes "P5" indicates T-Mobile, while "P4" indicates AT&T. The "DM" indicates DMFL.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    whacker,
    That's good info, I really hadn't caught the DM was for DMFL but I'll remember that now. All I had picked up what the 5 was T-Mobile and 4 was ATT. With all that info I understand the entire model number breakdown. Thanks.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    No problemo! I just humbly go about the business of spreading nuggets of prepaid wisdom wherever I can (and rely completely on this sub-forum and the Jimates and Pbush sites to hopefully get it right ).