Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is TELUS abandoning the Mike Network?

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score

Is TELUS abandoning the Mike Network?

Telus is abandoning the Mike Network??
    Are they going to replace it with anything ?
    Is there another system that does the same thing as DC?
    Just wondering Before we upgrade our phones contract to a system that will be dead in another year
    How is telus going to replace all the business customers when this system quits working
    TIA

Ian

Device(s)
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    According to a Telus rep, iDEN is supposed to be supported until 2015.

Sprint has a new EvDO-based PTT solution which I hear "works perfectly and is an able successor to Sprint Nextel's iDEN-based services".

As for the future of MiKE... if what the Telus rep said is true, MiKE has a couple more years of life. I can imagine they will continue bleeding as much as they can from the MiKE network, then aggressively transition MiKE users to CDMA or HSPA and by that time, LTE. With PTT over LTE having been demonstrated, I think MiKE's successor might have been found.

I am also unsure about upgrading. I just might go MTM when my term expires in 2013 and see what happens.
    Tracfone W175g is IMPOSSIBLE to flash. If you don't want to use it with Trac, it's WORTHLESS. Stop PM'ing me!

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    An HSPA PTT solution is in development for Bell. I'd assume the same for Telus.

Device(s)
    SoftBank 707SC, Neonode N2, Altacel OT-710D
    Carrier(s)
    Telus CDMA... for now
    Feedback Score
    HSPA based PTT like the Motorola Tundra on AT&T?

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.440 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Quote Originally Posted by JusticePain
    According to a Telus rep, iDEN is supposed to be supported until 2015.

Sprint has a new EvDO-based PTT solution which I hear "works perfectly and is an able successor to Sprint Nextel's iDEN-based services".

As for the future of MiKE... if what the Telus rep said is true, MiKE has a couple more years of life. I can imagine they will continue bleeding as much as they can from the MiKE network, then aggressively transition MiKE users to CDMA or HSPA and by that time, LTE. With PTT over LTE having been demonstrated, I think MiKE's successor might have been found.

I am also unsure about upgrading. I just might go MTM when my term expires in 2013 and see what happens.
    Sprint's evdo dc is a joke compared to IDEN

Carrier(s)
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score
    Nextel's iDEN goes down in 2014, it sounds only natural for Telus to cancel it a year later. It gives them time to see how the other companies are going to handle the changeovers, and then implement it themselves.

As long as the HSPA/LTE PTT is not like the "Totally awesome and never failing CDMA PTT" functionality that bombed worse than Hiroshima, then it might work. They cannot have a 30 second delay to get a message. That is why the other one sucked. You push the button, and it could take anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds before it comes up on the other phone. iDEN was designed for it, and they couldn't make the cdma work the same.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i have just switch to iden mike network for my work last week ;p
    exchange my iphone 4s for a motorola i940 unlocked ;p
    I put a little review coming soon

Feedback Score
    Call me naive but I called Telus to ask as I just heard this rumour today. They told me that Mike/iden is not going anywhere. But the rumour came from our Telus retailer. Who to believe? Can't see them abandoning all those customers without a proper replacement.

Device(s)
    GALAXY NEXUS, GALAXY S2
    Feedback Score
    Technology will allow for something better than MIKE, why hold onto iDen when better ruggedized ptt options are on the horizon? however there are many industries that rely on mike..

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by editmagazine View Post
    Technology will allow for something better than MIKE, why hold onto iDen when better ruggedized ptt options are on the horizon? however there are many industries that rely on mike..
    The technology is on the horizon it is not here YET. I havent seen anything that can or will replace the mike system yet.
    If it isnt broke why fix it
    If telus is abandoning mike they have done it the wrong way.
    IMHO they will loose a pile of customers if they continue this way
    PTT is needed and used in many business and industries , you cant text everything
    If it was an expensive network to maintain the rates would have reflected it
    Motorola still makes ptt phones and have upadated them since this rumour started
    Someone still uses the iden system

Feedback Score
    Has i stated in another thread...

You have to remember that Telus has to fulfil their end of the contract. If they can't provide you the service anymore, then you are no longer in contract with them. Contracts are two way streets.

Besides, They won't just flick the switch this year or anything. What you will probably see a discontinuation of Mike Phones. Meaning that you couldn't go to a store and buy a new mike phone or renew a contract. The service will still be there, you just cant renew.

They will also wave any buy outs to renew on the PCS network. So, when that mike phone breaks and you cant get a new one, you have no choice but to move... Or cancel...

Them support the phones till 2015/2016 makes sense considering telus has Device Protection Plan. Which allows you to get a new phone, of the same model, as long as you have that feature turned on, so they still need to make the phones.

You will prob see a discontinuation of the phone in late 2012 or Early 2013. With a complete shut down of the network in 2016 or 2017.

My two cents.

Source: I sell mike and Telus Phones.

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score
    Just got news about bells new ptt
    .newswire.ca/en/story/960651/bell-launches-next-generation-mobile-push-to-talk-service-today
    Actually got an email from a rep on this forum
    What good is it if I am the only one on the network LOL

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score
    2016 or 2017 is alot longer then the cry wolf BS of 2012
    Telus is going to loose a lot of customers over the marketing of this

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrshire View Post
    Just got news about bells new ptt
    .newswire.ca/en/story/960651/bell-launches-next-generation-mobile-push-to-talk-service-today
    Actually got an email from a rep on this forum
    What good is it if I am the only one on the network LOL
    The goal is to migrate the company's as an entity, instead of just individual users...otherwise yes, what is the point if you're the only user on the new system.

That being said, many have transitioned or in the process now.

The cool thing about the PTT community is it is a tight knit community. Make one company happy, they tell the other companies. Make a group of users happy, they tell the other groups of users.

Word-of-mouth plus a superior technology will do just fine!

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    The goal is to migrate the company's as an entity, instead of just individual users...otherwise yes, what is the point if you're the only user on the new system.

That being said, many have transitioned or in the process now.

The cool thing about the PTT community is it is a tight knit community. Make one company happy, they tell the other companies. Make a group of users happy, they tell the other groups of users.

Word-of-mouth plus a superior technology will do just fine!
    Yes that is true
    But Telus handled this very badly.
    Some "telus rep"comes on here years ago proclaiming the death of the mike network. Now we hear it will be supported till 2015-2017.
    So of course people started flocking away from it.

Havent heard anything from Telus to dispute it or condone it.
    If I am going to switch off the mike network to a 4G system it will not be with TELUS.
    The company cant support its own customers that have supported it from the begining.
    Why would I support them now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast