Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best option to lower my Verizon bill?

Phones
    Samsung Note 3, LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Best option to lower my Verizon bill?

I've gone over this a few times on my own, but would like other people's input on this.....

I've been with Verizon for about 12 years, and over the past couple years I've been on their Nationwide Family Share 700 minute plan with two lines.

My bill breaks down like this:
    Nationwide Family Share with 700 minutes $60.00
    250 Message Allowance on Line 1 $5
    Taxes on Line 1 $13
    2nd Shared Line $10
    Taxes on Line 2 $3
    --------------------------
    Total Bill: $91

The thing is that over the past two years we've had Comcast Digital Voice on the house phone, so when we're at home, we use it for the unlimited long distance calls, instead of using the cell (like we use to).
    Because of that, our Peak cell usage isn't very much, but the M2M and Nights/Weekends we use the most.

Here's a break down of the minutes used for the past year:

July 2010 -
    Line 1: 115 Peak, 570 M2M, 37 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 47 Peak, 99 M2M, 11 Night/Weekend

August 2010 -
    Line 1: 11 Peak, 346 M2M, 106 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 126 Peak, 43 M2M, 20 Night/Weekend

Sept 2010 -
    Line 1: 71 Peak, 487 M2M, 152 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 108 Peak, 121 M2M, 77 Night/Weekend

Oct 2010 -
    Line 1: 85 Peak, 357 M2M, 269 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 150 Peak, 38 M2M, 127 Night/Weekend

Nov 2010 -
    Line 1: 105 Peak, 265 M2M, 215 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 130 Peak, 88 M2M, 56 Night/Weekend

Dec 2011 -
    Line 1: 222 Peak, 365 M2M, 176 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 152 Peak, 117 M2M, 50 Night/Weekend

Jan 2011 -
    Line 1: 119 Peak, 323 M2M, 346 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 44 Peak, 84 M2M, 95 Night/Weekend

Feb 2011 -
    Line 1: 74 Peak, 341 M2M, 346 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 28 Peak, 91 M2M, 72 Night/Weekend

March 2011 -
    Line 1: 182 Peak, 373 M2M, 161 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 42 Peak, 50 M2M, 20 Night/Weekend

April 2011 -
    Line 1: 75 Peak, 303 M2M, 106 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 120 Peak, 63 M2M, 40 Night/Weekend

May 2011 -
    Line 1: 88 Peak, 332 M2M, 262 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 71 Peak, 47 M2M, 37 Night/Weekend

June 2011 -
    Line 1: 20 Peak, 263 M2M, 113 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 110 Peak, 86 M2M, 130 Night/Weekend

July 2011 -
    Line 1: 129 Peak, 308 M2M, 167 Night/Weekend
    Line 2: 122 Peak, 106 M2M, 113 Night/Weekend

When all that is added and averaged per month, it comes to:
    Line 1: 1296 Peak Total/ 100 Peak Average, 4633 M2M Total/ 357 M2M Average, 2456 Night Weekend Total/ 189 Night Weekend Average
    Line 2: 1250 Peak Total/ 97 Peak Average, 1033 M2M Total/ 80 M2M Average, 848 Night Weekend Total/ 66 Night Weekend Average

So now comes the part of seeing which other plans we can change to with lower Peak minutes, that will lower the cell bill.
    It would be pointless to break it up into two separate 450 Single Line plans, since those are $40 each = $80 + taxes, so that would come out to what we're already paying.

I think someone posted before that there's an unadvertised 500 minute Family Share plan, but it would only be $10 less per month than the plan we're on. That would be a option, since both lines never come close to using 500 peak shared minutes, and would save about $120 year.

The next option would be doing Daily Pre-Pay Plans, since the Monthly Pre Pays would cost the same as our current family share.
    So when doing the Daily Pre-Pay, we'd have to choose between doing the $1.99/Day plan with Unlimited Peak/M2M/Night Weekend, or the $0.99/Day that charges 10 cents for Peak & Night Weekend but has Unlimited M2M.

Looking at the $1.99/Day plan, and if used every day of the month (31), that would come to $62 per line, or about $124 a month for both lines + taxes. So no real savings there, as we'd be paying more, but this is if that $1.99/Day plan is used every day of the month.

Next, looking at the $0.99/Day plan, and it used every day of the month (31), that would come to $31 per line, or $62 a month for both lines, and then you have to add the 10 cents per min for Peak and Nights Weekend calls.
    So for Line 1: $31 ($0.99 cents for 31 days) + $10 for Peak minutes (based on the 100 Peak/monthly average listed above) + $19 for Nights Weekend (based on average listed above) = $60 + taxes.
    Line 2: $31 ($0.99 cents for 31 days) + $10 for Peak minutes + $7 Night Weekend minutes = 48 + taxes.
    Add Line 1 + Line 2 = 108 + tax.
    So that still isn't saving anything.

It seems that the best option would be to see if we could change to the unadvertised 500 min Family Share plan for $10 less per month.
    If we changed to one of the Daily Pre-Pay plans, we *might* save, but only if the phones aren't used every day, but they are.

Any other suggestion?
    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would say get an obihai 110 and use free google voice for unlimited calling.

Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    If data isn't a concern then an MVNO may be a cheaper option

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Fauguy,

Call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 option 0 and request the Nationwide Loyalty 550 share plan. That will lower your bill by $10.00 per month. You may want to apply for a work discount as well. If you have a work email address, you can check to see if there is a discount by going to www.verizonwireless.com/discount and enter your work email address.
    Keep on rocking in the free world!

If you think my post is helpful, please click the star in the bottom left to add to my reputation

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do the loyalty plans include unlimited M2M? I know the last time someone I knew looked into them (a while ago), they didn't.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    You are correct they have a limited amount of M2M minutes. I believe it's something like 1000-1200.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    The plan I'm talking about included unlimited M2M.

Phones
    Samsung Note 3, LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VZW E View Post
    Fauguy,

Call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 option 0 and request the Nationwide Loyalty 550 share plan. That will lower your bill by $10.00 per month. You may want to apply for a work discount as well. If you have a work email address, you can check to see if there is a discount by going to www.verizonwireless.com/discount and enter your work email address.
    WOW! I'm honored by your appearance VZW E.
    I thought you were abducted by Aliens or something!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll give them a call tomorrow about the Nationwide Loyalty 550 Family Share Plan. I would need the Unlimited M2M and Night/Weekend, since that are the minutes get used the most. I wish I could cut the bill even more than $10/month, but that's better than nothing I guess.

We use to get pretty close to our 700 peak minutes, since it was used for all long distance calls. But since the Comcast Digital Voice was installed 2 years ago, we've got unlimited L.D. on the home line, so we just use that for L.D. calls if we are home. Of course, if we're not home, we use the cell for L.D. calls - or any calls.

BTW, if you've happened to have seen or heard anything about the Motorola Droid Bionic XT875, please drop a line over on it's Pre-Release Thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-thread-Part-2

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I only come out of hiding for good friends. I sent you a PM about the Bionic.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    WOW! I'm honored by your appearance VZW E.
    I thought you were abducted by Aliens or something!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll give them a call tomorrow about the Nationwide Loyalty 550 Family Share Plan. I would need the Unlimited M2M and Night/Weekend, since that are the minutes get used the most. I wish I could cut the bill even more than $10/month, but that's better than nothing I guess.

We use to get pretty close to our 700 peak minutes, since it was used for all long distance calls. But since the Comcast Digital Voice was installed 2 years ago, we've got unlimited L.D. on the home line, so we just use that for L.D. calls if we are home. Of course, if we're not home, we use the cell for L.D. calls - or any calls.

BTW, if you've happened to have seen or heard anything about the Motorola Droid Bionic XT875, please drop a line over on it's Pre-Release Thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-thread-Part-2

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I only come out of hiding for good friends.
    The only question I have about the Loyalty 550 Family Share is if my $100 NewEvery2 credit will carry over (I don't want to lose it), and if I can still be out-of-contract?
    I've been out of contract for a few years and don't want to re-new yet, as I'm sort of saving my $100 NewEvery2 credit, since they don't issues those any more.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Staying out of contract is kind of a waste of money, since you're paying the same monthly rate and not getting any phone subsidy. If you're going to stay with Verizon anyway with your old phone, every 20 months get the hottest new smartphone and flip it new in the box on ebay.

Also if you make lots of calls from home, I think the $20.00 unlimited calling, unlimited long distance, on the Home Phone Connect is still going.

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    Staying out of contract is kind of a waste of money, since you're paying the same monthly rate and not getting any phone subsidy. If you're going to stay with Verizon anyway with your old phone, every 20 months get the hottest new smartphone and flip it new in the box on ebay.

Also if you make lots of calls from home, I think the $20.00 unlimited calling, unlimited long distance, on the Home Phone Connect is still going.
    Well, since I do phone reviews for PhoneArena, I'm able to try out the newest devices anyway, so that is one reason why I haven't had the need to use the 2-year Upgrade on my account. But at least if I want to use it in the future, the $100 NewEvery2 credit is there as well.

I've though about the Verizon Home Phone Connect, but I like the Comcast Digital Voice (triple-play bundle) since it is discounted some (though I wish it were lower) and I get CallerID on the TVs and PC.

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Fauguy,

Call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 option 0 and request the Nationwide Loyalty 550 share plan. That will lower your bill by $10.00 per month.
    I called today, and was able to have the Loyalty 550 family share plan added to my account, and the $5 250/message plan removed. So that would reduce the bill about $17 (including tax). The only thing is that since I'm 6 days into by billing cycle, they said it's best for the new plan to activate automatically on the 7th of next month, otherwise if it's activated now, then it does all that pro-rating stuff and could come out to cost more.
    So I'll just wait for it to activate on the 7th next month.

The lady rep that I talked to was very nice and said that the Loyalty plan is only for customers who have been with Verizon for at least 7 years. But what did suprise me was that she said she wished more people paid attention to their usage, and if they are not using a lot of peak min, to call in and change to a lower priced plan, even though Verizon doesn't list the Loyalty plan on the web site.
    Last edited by FAUguy; 08-12-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    But since the Comcast Digital Voice was installed 2 years ago, we've got unlimited L.D. on the home line, so we just use that for L.D. calls if we are home. Of course, if we're not home, we use the cell for L.D. calls - or any calls.
    How much do you pay for that? Just wondering, because Verizon offers a home phone service now for 19.99 a month for unlimited calling nationwide. You can keep your home phone and home number. Didn't know if this would help you save money also. The device is free under contract or 150.00 or so out right (not under contract). We recently got it because we were paying 50.00+ for AT&T Landline service. It works great.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    How much do you pay for that? Just wondering, because Verizon offers a home phone service now for 19.99 a month for unlimited calling nationwide. You can keep your home phone and home number. Didn't know if this would help you save money also. The device is free under contract or 150.00 or so out right (not under contract). We recently got it because we were paying 50.00+ for AT&T Landline service. It works great.
    If you look a few posts up, you'll see that someone else had already mentioned the Verizon Home Phone connect, and I replied back.

I have one of the Comcast Triple Play packages, that bundles the Cable TV, Internet, and Home Phone together. They have different packages depending on how many channels you want - and which internet speed. But just the Comcast Digital Voice as a stand-alone service (not bundled) is about $35-40 a month. But mine is part of the bundle.

I wouldn't mind lowering the price of the Comcast bill, as it's $180 per month.
    It breaks down like this....
    HD Plus Triple Play with Digital and HBO cable, 30Mbps Internet, and Phone $120
    One AnyRoom HD/DVR box rental $14
    Two AnyRoom HD rental boxes $17
    eMTA Voice/Internet hardware rental $7
    Non-Published number $5
    Taxes and misc fees $16

So the Triple Play package that I'm on its only $120, but then it's an extra $60 for all the rental fees and taxes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast