Thread: Samsung Galaxy S II --- Fido Data Plan Problems

Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S II --- Fido Data Plan Problems

So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S II (unlocked) in the States. I thought I could simply use it with my Fido data plan but it's not working. I changed all the relevant settings but no luck. So I took it to TWO Fido stores the the guys there were useless. So I called the Fido Tech. Support only to be told by the useless woman that she herself does not have the Samsung Galaxy S II phone so she couldn't help me. And strangely, when I asked, no one at Fido tech. support was able to help me.

On the verge of walking over to Bell as I know they support the Galaxy S II.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone else have this problem? If I want to keep this phone, it seems I might be out of options with trying to make it work with my Fido data plan.

??

g

Phones
    Galaxy S IIX
    Galaxy S2X
    Past: 8830, iPhone, Pearl 8130, HTC Touch, N95, K850i, Prada, Z6, E680, P1i, E6, E61i, Q9H, Treo650
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    What did you put in for the apn?

Can you make calls?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using HowardForums
    Follow me on twitter @Blue1k...thephonecollector

Feedback Score
    APN
    internet.fido.ca

Yes, the phone works fine to make calls. And the wi-fi works fine too.
    I have a 1GB data plan with fido.

g

Phones
    iPhone 3G
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    You need more settings than that!

I've put my APN settings in at least 3 dozen times (I flash a lot of ROMS on my Nexus One).

Here ya go:

APN1 [this one will have the radio button beside it]
    Name: fido internet
    APN: internet.fido.ca
    Username: fido
    Password: fido
    APN Type: default
    (all other fields blank)

APN2 [this one will not have any radio button beside it]
    Name: fido mms
    APN: mms.fido.ca
    MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
    MMS Proxy: 205.151.011.013
    APN Type: mms
    (all other fields blank)

Feedback Score
    Hey Hawk
    There seems to be two options.
    My Samsung Galaxy S2 Unlocked (purchased from Asia unbranded) automatically loaded this APN which it must have pulled from the network:
    Name: Fido Internet
    APN: fido-core-appl1.apn
    MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
    MMS proxy: 205.151.11.13
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 370
    APN type: internet + mms

I was wondering why you would use the two separate over the ones that you have posted?
    I need to manually put the settings into my Wife's Samsung Galaxy S Captivate and wanted to use the best one. I read on the forums.fido.ca that the one above will give you a 3G (better) connection but the internet.fido.ca is only EDGE (slower). I am trying to find out how true this is, if at all?

I should also point out that the phone had a tethering APN in case anyone wanted to add that too:
    Name: Fido Tethering
    APN: isp.fido.apn
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 370
    APN Type: dun

Carrier
    Fido | AT&T | T-Mobile UK |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarrick View Post
    So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S II (unlocked) in the States. I thought I could simply use it with my Fido data plan but it's not working. I changed all the relevant settings but no luck. So I took it to TWO Fido stores the the guys there were useless. So I called the Fido Tech. Support only to be told by the useless woman that she herself does not have the Samsung Galaxy S II phone so she couldn't help me. And strangely, when I asked, no one at Fido tech. support was able to help me.

On the verge of walking over to Bell as I know they support the Galaxy S II.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone else have this problem? If I want to keep this phone, it seems I might be out of options with trying to make it work with my Fido data plan.

??

g
    I've been running the International version of the SGS II (purchased from Europe unlocked) for 7 months without an issue. No one asked you two key questions:

1. What version of the SGS II did you purchase in the States? Is it an AT&T or T-Mobile device?
    2. I'm assuming your device is unlocked since you say calls work on it, but can you confirm?

What do you see next to the signal strength when you have Wifi off? Does it show 3G, 4G, H+ or just G/E?

What are you using to test internet connectivity?
    Current Devices:

Sony xperia z3 compact 16GB + 64GB MicroSD locked BL
    Moto X XT1053 32GB fully unlocked/rooted/custom ROM
    Fido Galaxy S4 i337m
    Samsung Galaxy Camera 2
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz
    iPad Mini Retina 32GB Wi-Fi

Fido plans
    2x $56/mth unlimited everything + 2GB data

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    BCG-E2817A, BCG-E2816A, IHDT56PG3, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb

Folks,

This old topic has been surfaced again with a friend of mine... Exact same issue with a Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 loaded with the firmware from different region (Hong Kong TGY ZS***). The APN configurations (i.e. Fido-core-appl1.apn) pushed from the SIM card / network are the same with the Fido support page. As it turns out, the handset with a Fido SIM card (302-37) thinks it is "roaming" on Rogers (302-72). So the workaround: trick the handset by enabling "Data Roaming"...

--

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Phone
    Z550a
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit... I have a unlocked sg2 (bell) trying to use on fido, However I do not have any such problems with data surfing on my phone. The problem is with mms. I can receive mms from other people perfectly fine but when attempting to send out, the phone doesn't even send and shows a continuous loop of trying to send the mms. I have tried both settings provided above and turned on data roaming but still cannot sent out mms. Any help would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Michio View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread a bit... I have a unlocked sg2 (bell) trying to use on fido, However I do not have any such problems with data surfing on my phone. The problem is with mms. I can receive mms from other people perfectly fine but when attempting to send out, the phone doesn't even send and shows a continuous loop of trying to send the mms. I have tried both settings provided above and turned on data roaming but still cannot sent out mms. Any help would be appreciated!
    I have the exact same problem except I cant even receive mms. Has anyone found a solution for it yet?

Phones
    S2 i727r
    Samsung
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I have the same problem with ggarrick and I checked the fido site. http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phone...d_device_guide.
    It helps configure the android phone to fido. However, I cannot use data.
    Phone model' Unlocked Samsung Galaxy SII i727r (Galaxy SII LTE Rogers)
    Under a fido plan. Using an ancient SIM card, but still works.
    Added data onto the plan to see if it works. However, it doesn't work at all.
    When I connects the signal goes to 4G.

Feedback Score
    Hi there sorry for bothering. Just wondering what your apn settings were. I also bought my samsung s2 LTE from Hong kong and im using fido here. I recently got data and its only giving me EDGE connection. I was wondering if you could screen shot your apn settings as well. I realy need some 3G/LTE connection on my phone. THanks

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Fido Solutions Inc.
    Feedback Score
    Please, click here: http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phone...d_device_guide

Quote Originally Posted by asiansituation View Post
    Hi there sorry for bothering. Just wondering what your apn settings were. I also bought my samsung s2 LTE from Hong kong and im using fido here. I recently got data and its only giving me EDGE connection. I was wondering if you could screen shot your apn settings as well. I realy need some 3G/LTE connection on my phone. THanks
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...