Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The GooMoto Thread! Where does Moto go now that it will be part of Google?

Device(s)
    Motorola XT1103 Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am hoping that with this merge/buy, Motorola will have more incentive from the Google side to build more unlockable Android devices like the A855. You must admit, Moto was just about done until this phone was released; Android as a phone OS was just about unheard of.

As far as Blur, I have no experience with it, but from what I've read the best thing in it to me (IMHO) is the 'nuance' app; the actual Motorola BT voice recognition/dialing app.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Blur was junk on my D2. Fugly widgets, sluggish animations, awkward user experience. About the only thing worth keeping was the Exchange client, when it worked. I gave up and went back to my DInc w/CM7.

We need a manufacturer to "differentiate" by taking the road less traveled and NOT shipping a skin. I hope Moto becomes that manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Wanted to revive this thread since Motorola is now more officially part of Google. Also, my discussions of Motorola's future and issues with latest devices in Droid 4 thread are a bit off topic and getting hated on over there. Probably more on topic to bring that here and the Pentile thread. The Droid-Life link on the approval news is below.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/13...ockstar-bidco/

Google can and WILL just shut down most of the Motorola we know if they can't turn them into a profit making enterprise again if they really do just want them for their patents. Time will tell just how much influence Google will take into Motorola day to day operations, but the latest things I hear on here from insiders suggests to me Google should exert more influence than they might have planned. They really need to be more consumer centric if a lot of what I have been witnessing against this isn't already changing.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If this means Moto quality with Vanilla Android, I'm in.

Device(s)
    Droid 1 and X, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    I'm just waiting for a Nexus made by Moto...that or bootloaders to get magically unlocked on current Moto phones.

After my experience with the G Nex, RAZR and Rezound....I will probably just stay a Moto fan for life, bootloaders, Blur n all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc74 View Post
    I'm just waiting for a Nexus made by Moto...that or bootloaders to get magically unlocked on current Moto phones.

After my experience with the G Nex, RAZR and Rezound....I will probably just stay a Moto fan for life, bootloaders, Blur n all.
    +1

10char

Feedback Score
    Well it seems VZW and Blur are gonna be a long slog for Android 4.0 if it even ever happens. When other carriers are atleast already in Development, but not expect until Q3 and VZW blurred phones are only still in "Evaluation" it makes you wonder it it's even worth the effort?? As much as I can agree certain aspect of my GNex are probably inferior to most Motorola devices stuff like this, permanent batteries, locked bootloaders and inferior screens keeps me quite satisfied with my choice. I have yet to be somewhere with receptions issues that even my OG Droid didn't have and I can communicate with voice calls quite effectively even if not as pleasingly.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/15...ed/#more-61470

What I really don't get about this is that Q3 itself is probably not that far from yet another version of Android that could include changes significant enough that source merging with the Blur would not work on the Q3 updates. So basically even once these Q3 devices get Android, they to could be a version behind.

It's really starting to seem as if the phone, contacts, email, and various other low level android apps OEMs like to change a lot need to be more completely decoupled from the base OS build so they can be used more Android version agnostically somehow like Maps, Talk, Voice, and the rest are tied in as seperate apps that are even updated through the market. This would allow the OEMs to more quickly release the lower level improvements to the base OS without needing to redo so much of their customized versions of these other apps and kinda keep their apps seperate and evaluate rebaselining such apps with google seperate from the OS all together. It's either this or an OEM needs to go vanilla android and school everyone else as they struggle to keep up with Google on their customized end. The improvements and vast changes in Android 4.0 could happen all over again later this year with a 4.X or even 5.0. Google has ZERO reason to slow their development pace unless their partners are asking them too and that would be a VERY stupid thing to ask if you ask me.

Of course none of the Google changes are going to help call quality or reception so I guess most of us focused on other things really don't understand what the market really wants.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is what it means: unlocked bootloaders for all Motorola Android phones, no more Blur, timely maintenance and OS updates and fewer new models being released every year.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2
    I charge forward recklessly, leaving chaos in my wake.
    Boycott phones that lack microSD storage and removable batteries! Do not allow the user experience to be diminished!
    @moonwolf789

Feedback Score
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/16...o-htcdev-site/

Take note Moto. This is what you shoulda been doing BEFORE you were a Google subsidiary. Now as part of Google more officially there is ZERO reason they should be behind the curve on this still.

Feedback Score
    So on that point about ICSed Blur device updates not hitting until Q3 and probably later or never for VZW versions. And WHO knows when a device from moto might hit with ICS installed at launch? As Kellex alludes this is probably not likely, but still, a major update could hit this year for all we know and there is pretty strong rumor of a Nexus variety tablet for this year that could come with some iteration of ICS that may or may not be easy to merge into current blurred ICS development??

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/16...rumor-says-so/

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 64GB, Microsoft Surface 3 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    ... As Kellex alludes this is probably not likely, but still, a major update could hit this year for all we know and there is pretty strong rumor of a Nexus variety tablet for this year that could come with some iteration of ICS that may or may not be easy to merge into current blurred ICS development??
    The Xoom is a completely stock Android Honeycomb experience. It's effectively a Nexus device, without the Nexus name on it. I haven't checked the Xyboard yet, but I don't see how it would be any different other than revised styling and a moderate speed boost. So, my question is, what's the big deal about a Nexus tablet when we really pretty much have it already?

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Feedback Score
    I would like to see Motorola not so "attached" to VZ, mainly because it seems VZ has to much power on Moto's product line decisions and the way they are released (US/international).

Google said Moto would continue to run as an independet company. Does everyone believe it's going to be that way?

Feedback Score
    Really liked Sanjay's initial handling of Motorola Mobility soon after he got there with the OG Droid and move to ALL android, but the extreme number of new devices always being pushed with replacements that are minor upgrades hitting so fast has been kind of wack. Should have focused more on less devices and making them better. This will probably be for the best.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/23...de-as-new-ceo/

Feedback Score
    I am hoping google takes full control over Moto, axes SanJay, unlocks bootloaders, makes batteries replaceable again, tells VZW "This is the way it's going to be" and of course kicks the **** out of Apple's iFAIL products.

Yeah That Worked Well...NOT!!!

Feedback Score
    Seems more and more likely Google really does plan to release a new major revision to Android each year. I am really not sure what OEMs are thinking if they continue to try and do more than get all their devices ported to the new versions. All the customizations and driver changes are putting them at 6 months minimum it seems. And seems likely many devices will take a year with ICS. If I were a RAZR, D4, or any soon to release nonICS device I would be pretty torqued if 5.0 were just around the corner as I was just getting ICS. They complain about drivers and Nexus reference hardware messing everyone up, but if they focused on driver development and optimization to the base source for new google source releases rather than customization to the source UI and various other stuffs I think they could close this gap. Maybe have your own custom apps that don't have any low level system interactions that can release whenever and leave the option to keep older versions of Android if you MUST have whatever these custom apps are. Something needs to change or the OEMs are going to be WAY behind the google source.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/28...ld-make-sense/

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast