Thread: What carrier should I go with: Metro PCS or Simple Mobile?

Feedback Score

What carrier should I go with: Metro PCS or Simple Mobile?

I am trying to make the switch to a smartphone and am contemplating what carrier to go with. I currently have MetroPCS but they don't provide a lot of options in the smartphone arena.

I am considering between Virgin Mobile and Simple Mobile. Virgin is on the Sprint network, which is nice, but I switched to them for a month once and didn't have a great experience. Simple Mobile allows me to bring in my own unlocked T-mobile phone, but I haven't heard too much about them, if there coverage is wide and reliable. I think Virgin Mobile is on a CDMA network while Simple Mobile is on GSM (which I heard is better for data usage). Both have comparable plan pricing and phones that I like at around the same prices.

I want to use my phone mainly for data (e-mail, social networks) and text. Does anyone have any insight into these two accounts and which may be better for my needs? Thanks!

P.S. I bought an HTC MyTouch 4G for Simple Mobile (though I can still return it). Do you think that would be an alright one to run with Simple Mobile? Or would it just be a safer option to go with Virgin (with a Motorola Triumph)?

Feedback Score
    Virgin Mobile stinks. Their customer support is horrible and they have data/mms/sms outages all the time.

If you go to the $50 plan on Simple, Tmobile prepaid is better. They have the same thing as Simple, PLUS, your phone is already configured for them, you get 100 megs at 3/4g included and far more talk/text coverage via their roaming agreements. Simple only runs on Tmobile basic/native network with NO roaming.

I personally hate Metro because of their constricted and fractured byod policies. You can use non Metro cdma phones in certain markets but not in all. Plus Tmobile/Simple Mobile "4G" is probably faster.

I'd go with Simple Mobile or Tmobile prepaid in your situation. If you want unlimited high speed, Simple is cheaper by $10 but they cap you at 2 gigs before they throttle you to 2G speeds while Tmobile prepaid is $70 with a five gig cap and throttle after with unlimited 2G.

Choices, choices.

Feedback Score
    Wow! I definitely appreciate all of your information!! This helps profusely. I think I'll be going with T-mobile pre-paid. When I went to the store to get a pre-paid account with them, they said it would be cheaper to just sign up for a plan with them, but I was too nervous to sign up with a contract.

I think I'll look for a phone on Craigslist to get a better deal and do T-mobile pre-paid. Thank you very much for your response!

Carrier
    Boost mobile
    Feedback Score
    Metro so called 4G speed gets gets 600 kbps f

Sent from my PC36100 using HowardForums
    Cant be stuck on stupid

Feedback Score

MetroPCS

Stay far away from Metro PCS. Slowness and you will get a lot of dropped calls.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aen935 View Post
    Wow! I definitely appreciate all of your information!! This helps profusely. I think I'll be going with T-mobile pre-paid. When I went to the store to get a pre-paid account with them, they said it would be cheaper to just sign up for a plan with them, but I was too nervous to sign up with a contract.

I think I'll look for a phone on Craigslist to get a better deal and do T-mobile pre-paid. Thank you very much for your response!
    Sounds like what happened to me. I went in for prepaid and left with postpaid. I got the 500 minute, unlimited text, 2GB of 4G data (throttled afterwards) for $49.99. Bought a new sidekick 4g off of ebay for $275.

Signed up just over a month ago and so far so good. You get free hotspot on T-Mobile Android phones as well.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corrupt81 View Post
    Sounds like what happened to me. I went in for prepaid and left with postpaid. I got the 500 minute, unlimited text, 2GB of 4G data (throttled afterwards) for $49.99. Bought a new sidekick 4g off of ebay for $275.

Signed up just over a month ago and so far so good. You get free hotspot on T-Mobile Android phones as well.
    Just curious, how much do you pay after taxes and fees on that Value plan? Thanks
    Verizon 4G LTE----------------------------------AT&T 4G LTE

FreedomPop 4G WiMax

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by artofdying9
    Metro so called 4G speed gets gets 600 kbps f

Sent from my PC36100 using HowardForums
    Huh?????

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by aen935

If you are happy with service and coverage, the 2 years contract is an easy one as I have been with them for more than 8 years.
    Value plan is better for me as I prefer unlock phone all the time (HTC EVO 3D GSM version baby!).