Thread: Android with full hearing aid compatibility and keyboards

Feedback Score

Android with full hearing aid compatibility and keyboards

I have been with USCC for several years, and happy with the service. I am faced with an interesting challenge on looking at new Android phones. I am looking for one that has BOTH a full keyboard (vs touch screen only) AND full hearing aid compatibility--both M-mode and T-mode.

Until recently there were four Android phones with USCC that had full keyboards:
    LG Genesis - Newer phone, but only M-mode hearing aid compatible
    HTC Merge - Newer phone, but only M-mode hearing aid compatible
    Samsung Acclaim - Both M-mode and T-mode hearing aid compatible
    LG Apex - Both M-mode and T-mode hearing aid compatible

The problem: Within the past several weeks, Samsung Acclaim is no longer offered, and as of today neither is the LG Apex. So, there is no way currently to get full hearing aid compatibility (both M-mode and T-mode) on a USCC Android phone if I want to get a full keyboard.

I'd be interested in hearing why USCC has gone this route, and how they plan to solve this deficit in their phone product offering.

Phones
    htc merge
    samsung mesmerize
    htc desire
    Carrier
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Try searching EBay for a used acclaim i bought one for my girlfriend a few weeks ago for $70.00 and free shipping. it was in really good shape and from an authorized uscc store. The only thing i had to do was upgrade it to 2.2 and its been running great ever since.

Feedback Score
    Yes, used is probably your best bet at this point. I'm sure some of the upcoming phones will meet your needs, but there will always be the occasional gap when they don't. Just the nature of the business, since they don't make the phones.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. It's one of the things I liked about USCC was they put the info on their webpage AND one can test a live phone to check how compatible it is before bying it. Hopefully the lineup changes by the time we hit Nov-Dec when there is often phones free after rebate.

Would be nice if I could get a used/refurbed/returned (etc) from USCC directly. I don't think the $70 for an Acclaim is so hot for a used phone when they were sold for about $50 new several weeks ago. While it's true USCC doesn't make the phones, they do decide what to offer in the line up.

Perhaps USCC could work something out with the manufacturs or their repair units that is used for warrenty exchanges to have some available in cases like these. I'd be willing to work with someone within USCC on beta testing models. Not to mention, the FCC requriements for having certain percentage of hearing aid compatible phones in the lineup.

Makes me wonder: While I hope to not need to use the repair service, I am curious about the "same or better" if they change the model to something deemed as "better" but isn't fully hearing aid compatible.

Also noticed that neither Blackberry model has both M-mode and T-mode hearing aid compatibilities. I'm starting to sense a pattern.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone 5
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular & VZW
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STL wannaknow View Post
    Would be nice if I could get a used/refurbed/returned (etc) from USCC directly. I don't think the $70 for an Acclaim is so hot for a used phone when they were sold for about $50 new several weeks ago. While it's true USCC doesn't make the phones, they do decide what to offer in the line up.
    Don't forget that the $50 price for the Acclaim from USCC is not an outright price. That's the subsidized price that you'd get with an additional two year commitment with USCC.