Thread: Samsung t528g - more trouble than it is worth

Feedback Score

Samsung t528g - more trouble than it is worth

I was very excited when I first received the Samsung T528G , but now, at least in my opinion, it is one of the worst phones I have ever used.

The keyboard is worthless. You cannot type a decent 2 line email or text message without making a dozen errors. The browser is a joke.

I am a fairly savvy person when it comes to these devices, but this Samsung T528G is a total POS in my view

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I pretty much figured that before I even saw it.

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Phone
    iPhone 5c
    Carrier
    GoPhone(Me)/Cricket(Gf)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; Vortex Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yeah I had one of those phones and after a day the Youtube quit working. Actually all streaming video quit. So back to Walmart it went. That is probably my last time I fool with Straight Talk unless I get a smartphone like my old lady has.

Phones
    Incredible 2
    HTC Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I think there is a real problem with these phones and they really should stop selling them.

Feedback Score
    Renegade.... How is it that you are using a HTC Inspire with straight talk?? Can you walk us through it??

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Refer to the Straight Talk and Android thread.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Follow the directions in the first post of this thread.......http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-stop-asking)

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app

Phones
    LG 900G
    Lg 600g (retired)
    Lg VX8500 (retired)
    Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Can everyone please call Tracfone to complain about your problems with the model? Called corporate 1-800-876-5753 to complain about the phone shutting off with full signal and battery. As well as unable to end a call, the date and time changing, the minutes and time left all of a sudden extend to next year and 1000's of minutes when I'm on a 30 day 1000 plan....

Sir there are no complaints about the model.. maybe a hurricane or weather affect the service.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

I live in central PA. no ocean or hurricanes. no rain and I have problems...

well it works now. So call us when it mulfunctions...

HOW? what if it fails at 1am???? How do I call you from it when it doesn't work?
    Can I speak to a manager?

I am a manager.

please call to complain HOFO 1-800-876-5753

Feedback Score
    [disclaimer] I know this thread is a couple of years old, but please don't say a response to this thread is "bumping" if I'm actually just responding on-topic to a thread rather than sprawl the subject out (which breaks a different rule.) Sorry for having to post this but the typical attitude across the internet is to accuse any responder to any thread more than a few months old if "bumping".

I can list several problems I've had with this phone.

* The phone will reset continuously if there are too many wifi networks in the area. It will slow down for a few seconds, cold reset, repeat.

* The phone will reset randomly whatever the circumstances. Especially if you just turned the phone on, verified a 3G connection, and opened the browser. The browser doesn't like being opened too soon after turning the phone on for some reason.

* The touch sensitive screen is sensitive through several layers of clothing.

* The lock button isn't too reliable. This phone is a surprise in your pocket waiting to happen, especially if that surprise is that you pocket-dialed emergency services.

* The contacts list mysteriously drops contacts. This could be a symptom of the previous two problems. This is probably the most annoying feature of this phone.

* The phone will sometimes fail to establish a wifi connection even if the access point list shows a very strong signal, even for an unprotected network, especially if there is any kind of obstruction between the phone and the router. Being around the corner from a router with 100 ft. coverage can still leave you hanging. Something wrong with the antenna?

* The browser can't handle any kind of hiccup, and the internet is full of hiccups. You'll get a habit of rapidly tapping an HTML link to reach a site because the browser wants to go through upwards of a dozen notifications of failed attempts first.

* It's the oldest possible version of Android. They're actually using the version that was released on a free public license, how cheap is that? I've gotten the Facebook app to load on this thing but that's it. It's almost like it's sandboxed, but I don't want to give Samsung too much credit, I haven't tried to see if any of the apps they're offering for this phone work, either.

* The desktop's sidebar gets in the way of picking up any icons too close to the left edge of the screen. You may end up with icons in limbo over there with no way to move them.

* Some texts, sent and received, fail to be stored in memory. You send (or receive) them and carry on the conversation, but the text itself isn't there if you go back to review inbox / outbox.

* Hopefully you like the "please wait. Initializing..." message, because for inexplicable reasons the phone will show you that message instead of opening your messaging inbox or outbox, or your contacts. And it's persistent, and doesn't seem to depend on anything but mood.

* The clock and date and time de-synch at about the same rate as a jittery cat throws up. Pulling the battery out and waiting half a minute is a daily chore with this phone, sometimes numerous times per day.

* You might be on the $30 card and decide to try unlimited for $45. You might find that you have to be on the phone with customer service for several hours while they try to get the phone to give you your unlimited internet throughput. They're in India and it is actually customary to have to wait for long periods of time to get anything "official" done in several major Indian cities, especially if somebody's being paid wages to keep you waiting. I wasn't about to hold my phone and another phone myself -- I let the Wal-Mart employee make his money doing it for me. After giving him impotent instructions, the same ones over and over, for two and a half hours, the employee got a little aggressive with them and they released the air time. Wal-Mart is a completely different story altogether, an equally painful one.

* The customer service is extremely cordial yet dishonest with customers. They blame everything on "an outage in the area" or "weather". Everything. Lost contacts? "Sir, I see and I understand that you are in a remote location surrounded by water, and I am sorry sir but it must be the many freak storms you are no doubt constantly experiencing there." (Michigan.)

* The auto-complete file isn't editable. And it comes pre-loaded with things that annoy me and are always in the way. I guess you're really expected to reset the entire phone if your auto-complete becomes an annoyance.

* When you pick the "start with a capital letter" sort of input, it doesn't work half of the time. By that, I mean that if you input a period and a space, the next character isn't always (is usually not) capitalized. It seems to not work in long stretches, then to suddenly work again for a short stretch, then to go back to not working.

* Good luck getting used to typing things in vertical mode. You will want to because landscape mode gets filed up with a screen-keyboard that, along with the frame around what you're typing, leaves you with far less space than you have in portrait orientation. So you will keep the phone upright for a lot of input, except then you have to switch -- constantly -- back and forth between different modes of input. Especially if you want to use the auto-complete, which you do. Unless you get tired of the counter productivity of the auto complete, which is back to the drawing board.

** The PIN security feature on dialing out only kicks in on the fourth digit, and is easily circumvented by pressing the middle button. The dialogue asking for the PIN closes and you can resume dialing. It's that easy to get around a major security feature on this phone. It's a fake security feature, which is inherently dishonest, isn't it?

* I've found nobody who is quite sure what the specs are for the video feature on the phone. So, while I can load videos here, I can't be sure if they'll play until after I've copied them to the phone and/or downloaded them using the phone.

* Forget streaming video, it never worked on this phone once. I was surprised to read another poster say they had streaming video at first.

* The phone doesn't work with the legacy PC interface software that it asks you if you want to use when you plug it into the PC. I downloaded the legacy interface software and plugged the phone in, and the software doesn't recognize the phone correctly. So while the phone does ask you if you want to connect using the old client, the phone wasn't actually programmed to work with the client.

* The phone often fails to recognize the SD card and you might have to restart the phone several times before it recognizes the card after you insert it.

* So many things wrong with this phone. I can't remember them all.

While there are a lot of cute little upsides to this phone, they're all things that slews of other phones can also accomplish for you, and better.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You would have been better off starting a new thread. When visitors see a two year old thread with only eight replies, they do not waste their times opening it. It is also not worth searching back almost two years to find an appropriate topic onto which to piggyback.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    Incredible 2
    HTC Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yeah mine said initializing the whole time I had it, stayed on the phone with them for hours finally they sent me another one that I promptly put on eBay without opening. The worst phone ever. I have since left ST and that nightmare of a phone.

Sent with the HoFo App
    dbsmit