Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Android Phone on Sprint network?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk Android Phone on Sprint network?

http://reserve.straighttalkandroid.com/

That is the link to sign up for an email notification from Straight Talk letting you know when their new Samsung Galaxy android phone will become available. I was totally stoked for there to be an android phone in ST's lineup. THEN, I read all the speculation that this phone may operate on Sprints network (instead of on AT&T & Verizons like the other ST phones).

In the above link, you can enter in your zip code to see if the phone will work in your area. I've entered in 4 different zip codes where Sprint does not have coverage, and AT&T does. In each of those cases it says the phone is not available in those areas. And while thats not conclusive, its pretty strong evidence to support this phone will operate on Sprints network.

If anyone has an evidence to the contrary, PLEASE PLEASE post it here because I'm hoping to be wrong about this. I really wanted an android phone but there is no way I'm using anything on Sprints lackluster network that makes voice calls useless due to poor signal.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Mifi 4620L
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well it is definitely not GSM. If you look at the bottom of the preorder page it is a CDMA.

Model number is Samsung m828C.

So it can only be Verizon or Sprint.....

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST has to be careful of adding new customers to quickly or they will cause a negative effect for the regular customers. I believe they will limit the number of people who can purchase.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I was dissapointed that this phone (essentially the same as the Galaxy Prevail on Boost) ran on Sprint. I knew Boost would have a better plan than ST's (since Boost has Shrinkage). So, I calculated how much each plan would cost you over 2 years:

ST: (45 * 24) + $150 = $1,230

Boost: (50 * 6) + (45 * 6) + (40 * 6) + (35 * 6) = $1,200

Over two years, you would only pay $30 more for ST than Boost; if you extended your calculations to three years, though, then Boost would have the clear advantage (But do you really want to keep this phone for that long? :P). So, ST isn't that pricer compared to Boost, like I had assumed.

Feedback Score
    Does Sprint have more coverage that it's pre-paid partners? When I put our FL address in, it shows roaming coverage with Spring, no coverage with VM or Boost.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    To add even further to the confusion, I put in my ZIP code (and several others in the area) that are in Sprint coverage area (I actually have Sprint and it works fine) and it says the phone is not available here either. I also tried entering other ZIP codes that I know don't have Sprint coverage and just as you said, it was also unavailable there.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If it ends in C, isn't it a Verizon phone?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The C just indicates CDMA which can be either sprint or verizon

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I just tried my dad's zip code and it says that it will be available in that area so I am starting to think that it is Verizon since Verizon is the only service that is halfway decent where he lives.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Call me wacky, but it seems to me if ST inked a deal with Sprint it would be all over the financial news. As with the AT&T and T-Mobile deals, they were announced well before any phones were announced.

I also know the big bruhaha last summer was what would Verizon do since AT&T was with ST as the ST revenue was helping keep Verizon's prepaid sector going as it was declining super fast. Verizon allowing an Android with unlimited on ST would send thousands back to Verizon and get them the cash flowing their way again.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ice/2010-07-27

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, this is horrible news. Doesn't everybody who can tolerate Sprints network already have a Boost or VM phone?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    VM Triumph User here and the coverage / 3G for VM is terrible

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well you can always cross your fingers and hope they will have roaming for voice calls. BTW if you call and ask they insist that its uses verizon.
    Last edited by Cheapfone; 08-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Maybe one of you guys that follow straight talks facebook page can ask if by chance it will roam on verizon for at least voice calls.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I used 2 zipcodes for the reserve, 1, was for my area which has hardly any Sprint coverage and the other for an area that has no sprint, barely AT&T and Good Verizon and it said it would be available in both markets so.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast