Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Straight Talk use the Verizon network??

Feedback Score

Question Does Straight Talk use the Verizon network??

Someone on the Sprint HoFo forum told me that it does. But in a thread here, people were talking about AT&T. Which is it?? If it's Verizon, I'm in, I think. Verizon has by far the best network in NYC, but the prices??!!!

AT&T in my area is worse than Sprint. Although people do use it. If it's AT&T, which prepaid co's use Verizon---only Verizon's prepaid---which isn't such a good deal?

The only other thing is the phones. I would need to get a better phone and switch the sim cards, which is probably ok. But if I had my current # ported, which I've had for over 11 years, and they suddenly cut me off---not so good.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    They use AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile at the moment. The NEW Android on Straight Talk will use the Sprint network.
    The phones currently ending in "C" (except the Android) are Verizon. Ones ending in "G" are AT&T or T-Mobile. The Nokia smartphones are only on AT&T.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

but the million dollar question is does the android use the full range of Sprint towers or just the ones that the VM users get? I have a Virgin Optimus and the phone is fine for stuff like calls but since Sprint does not have 3G in our area at all (west NY about hour away from Erie PA) and if i am in a small rural area i get one bar at the most or nothing at all (cannot even text). if it is for sure that the upcoming Galaxy Precedent is using Sprint network and it as crippled as it is for VM users, I will have to sadly pass on it.
    Signature under construction, expect delays

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    Someone on the Sprint HoFo forum told me that it does. But in a thread here, people were talking about AT&T. Which is it?? If it's Verizon, I'm in, I think. Verizon has by far the best network in NYC, but the prices??!!! AT&T in my area is worse than Sprint. Although people do use it. If it's AT&T, which prepaid co's use Verizon---only Verizon's prepaid---which isn't such a good deal?
    Other Verizon prepaid MVNOs are PagePlusCellular and Zapp Unlimited. Zapp Unlimited is fairly new so you might want to look into PagePlus first.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
    but the million dollar question is does the android use the full range of Sprint towers or just the ones that the VM users get? I have a Virgin Optimus and the phone is fine for stuff like calls but since Sprint does not have 3G in our area at all (west NY about hour away from Erie PA) and if i am in a small rural area i get one bar at the most or nothing at all (cannot even text). if it is for sure that the upcoming Galaxy Precedent is using Sprint network and it as crippled as it is for VM users, I will have to sadly pass on it.
    Probably Sprint native only like VM. Even ST Verizon phones are native Verizon only.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The nicest Verizon phone on Straight Talk is the Samsung Finesse, and it's still basically a glorified dumphone. It was also in limited supply when originally released, so they're going for quite a bit second hand.

If Verizon is the only provider that works well in your area, you're either looking at actual Verizon service through Verizon, using a "C" series Straight Talk dumbphone (the Straight Talk 'droid runs on Sprint, as others mentioned), or going to Page Plus. Page Plus has pretty decent BYOD and competitive Talk/Text pricing, but data is priced at $150/gb (seriously), so you can basically forget anything except the absolute most minimal of use and everything else through WiFi, when you have it.

Feedback Score
    Someone on the Sprint HoFo forum told me that it does. But in a thread here, people were talking about AT&T. Which is it?? If it's Verizon, I'm in, I think. Verizon has by far the best network in NYC, but the prices??!!!

AT&T in my area is worse than Sprint. Although people do use it. If it's AT&T, which prepaid co's use Verizon---only Verizon's prepaid---which isn't such a good deal?

The only other thing is the phones. I would need to get a better phone and switch the sim cards, which is probably ok. But if I had my current # ported, which I've had for over 11 years, and they suddenly cut me off---not so good.
    If you're looking for a better phone that uses the Verizon network, wait until Friday and the LG 511c will be released.

Feedback Score
    When you say that the C phones run on Verizon native, what does native mean?? I gather that it's definitely not as good as the service on postpaid. But how exactly?

How do you tell which are the C, etc. phones? I looked on their website at the 6790, for example, and it doesn't say.

ANd couldn't I get an iPhone or other CDMA phone, like a Verizon phone and exchange the sim cards in order to get a better phone? It's covered here about the iPhone and Android. I know that it's against their terms of service, and therefore slightly risky.

Oh, hmmm, I just saw, only the dumbphones are G. So I guess you couldn't get those phones and then switch the sim cards for a better smartphone. Correct?

It gets really complicated trying to get good service less expensively.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Yes Verizon native is not as good as postpaid, but its still very good. Verizon has their own coverage map for prepaid coverage, you can look at it to see the difference.

Only GSM phones use SIMs, so you can't use a CDMA phone with a SIM from one of the Nokia smartphones. If you want to do this trick, you need to buy a ST Nokia E71, 6590, or E5 smartphone and pull the SIM out to use in an AT&T iPhone. You will have to keep the Nokia smartphone as well, you can't sell it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Feedback Score
    But those phones don't run on the Verizon ST network, right? So I can't use ST and switch the sim cards for a better phone if I want the Verizon network, correct?

Does native mean in part that the prepaid users on on a lower tier in terms of the network than the postpaid? That they get bumped more frequently with slower service, dropped calls, and the like? Or just that the network is not as extensive?

I guess there's no cheaper lunch, unless you are willing to put up with less service.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Use the link below to order CDMA only phones, this is from a zip code where ST only has CDMA agreements. You can correct the ship to zip code when you check out.
    http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdi...Phonelist=true

Native coverage means you get the full VZW network but no roaming. So the difference is if you sign up for VZW service through Verizon you can roam where VZW has roaming agreements.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The "C" and "G" designations at the end of the phone model only indicates whether it uses CDMA or GSM technology. It breaks down to this, pretty much:

"C" series:
    - No SIM card
    - Verizon native coverage
    - No smartphones (though, this is changing next month)
    - No BYOD
    - Can use either $30 or $45 plans
    -- EXCEPTIONS --
    The new, soon to be released Android phone, will be on Sprint, not Verizon and only works with the $45 plan

"G" series:
    - Uses "locked" SIM cards that can't be swapped to other phones
    - AT&T or T-Mobile native coverage, AT&T is more common
    - Smartphones available
    - No BYOD
    - Can use either $30 or $45 plans
    -- EXCEPTIONS --
    - Nokia smartphones include a "P" SIM card which is unlocked and can be used in other AT&T/unlocked GSM phones, are always on AT&T and requires the $45 plan

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    But those phones don't run on the Verizon ST network, right? So I can't use ST and switch the sim cards for a better phone if I want the Verizon network, correct?

Does native mean in part that the prepaid users on on a lower tier in terms of the network than the postpaid? That they get bumped more frequently with slower service, dropped calls, and the like? Or just that the network is not as extensive?

I guess there's no cheaper lunch, unless you are willing to put up with less service.
    First of all, Verizon is CDMA, AT&T/T-Mobile is GSM. CDMA phones DO NOT work on GSM, GSM phones DO NOT work on CDMA. The SIM cards in the Nokia smartphones are AT&T GSM SIM cards. You can't get the Verizon network on a GSM phone.

Native means only Verizon owned/operated towers, no roaming on Verizon partners' towers. You do not get bumped for slower service or dropped calls.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    About cellular networks, and this pertains mainly to the top four national carriers (AT&T, VZW, T-Mobile, Sprint):

Each of these companies owns or operates (often through leasing other independently owned equipment) only so much "network." It all depends on where you're talking about. And obviously, CDMA equipment is incompatible with GSM equipment. LTE is an even newer standard that all companies are trying to switch over to (as fast as they can, and that's a whole 'nutha story. T-Mobile is also a whole 'nutha story.).

So years ago, the two major camps (CDMA & GSM) realized that it would be to their mutual benefit to allow phones from other companies running the same type of equipment to "roam" on their network. This would provide for a greater coverage area than any one company's "native" network. What works where and with what particular company was all worked out with special agreements, and they all pay for the priviledge (the use of non-native company's customers is easily kept track of, and the cost is taken into account in the rate structure of both/all companies).

Generally then, VZW has the most robust (built out) native network; AT&T probably the next most so; and it may be a toss-us regarding Sprint and T-Mobile. But the thing to remember is, all the CDMA companies have the potential to "help" each other out, and by the same token, the GSM companies can work together. But because of the cost, this priviledge is almost exclusively reserved for post-paid customers. The glaring exception to this is TracFone and Net10 (sister companies to Straight Talk), who have somewhat universal roaming capabilities in the respective (CDMA vs. GSM) categories (they have the best coverage, bar none). Straight Talk's CDMA service, as already mentioned (the VZW service anyway), absolutely does not roam. The GSM side, excluding the smartphones, does roam (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The GSM smartphones are solid on AT&T.

Sorry for the long post, but that's the way I roll...

Feedback Score
    Thank you, Whacker, gotanmp3, and everyone else. This is a big help. NOw I understand.

DAlmond123, do you know if with the LG 511c that is coming out on Friday will I be able to switch it to a better phone? I guess not, as the CDMA phones don't have sim cards, right? And what platform is it anyway?

On PagePlus, I'd have the same issue, it doesn't sound like you can switch it out for a better phone. Thank you, guys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast