Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Straight Talk use the Verizon network??

Phones
    Moto E
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sure, you can switch between CDMA phones. With Straight Talk it'd be a matter of contacting their customer service and going through the motions. You would essentially be doing what's referred to as an ESN/MEID change (changing the ST account and number to another phone). I don't know if they have an online selection page like TracFone/Net10. Any takers on that aspect?

Clarification: You can switch to another ST CDMA phone, not just something fancy from another carrier you have your eye on! The CDMA side is nowhere near as flexible as the GSM side.
    Last edited by whacker; 08-22-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    With the Nokias Smartphones when you activate the phone the service goes on to the SIM card. Then you move the SIM card (with the service on it) to another phone. With CDMA there is no way to move the service to another phone. Meaning the LG 511C cannot be switched.

The main catch is that you can only activate a ST phone whose S/N is in the ST database.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
    DAlmond123, do you know if with the LG 511c that is coming out on Friday will I be able to switch it to a better phone? I guess not, as the CDMA phones don't have sim cards, right? And what platform is it anyway?

On PagePlus, I'd have the same issue, it doesn't sound like you can switch it out for a better phone.
    The LG 511c is rumored to be a featurephone, so it will be running some proprietary OS. With the advent of Sprint as a new partner to Straight Talk, there's a small possibility the 511c might be on Sprint as well. As far as switching phones goes, you can use the online account management to swap between phones of the same technology (CDMA or GSM), but going from one to the other will require calling customer service to do a "port". As there is no BYOD, you can't simply buy a full price Droid Incredible 2, for example, and switch to it - it must be a Straight Talk branded phone.

Page Plus requires calling customer service to move your service from one phone to another, and while there are plenty of phones that will work with Page Plus after a bit of DIY effort or paying someone to flash them, it's much easier to stick with known working Verizon postpaid phones. You can use some pretty good phones on Page Plus, the biggest issue is the lack of decent data pricing.

Feedback Score
    The representative that gave me the release date of the 511c said that it would use Verizon's network.

Phones
    Incredible 2
    HTC Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You can still get some C Verizon phones at Walmart.com they are just dumb phones but they do use verizon towers, they are what I have to use. I bought a couple of back ups the 290c is a good phone and you can get them for $30. with a service card for a months use. Hope this helps also you can put in the zip for 57004 and get the c phones.

Feedback Score

Do Straight Talk Phones work on Verizon towers?

I bought my wife a Droid from Straight Talk and was told by salesman that all Straight Talk Phones worked on Verizon. However not all do. The Droids work on Sprint. So before I buy one for myself I wanted to know for sure soooo I e-mailed Straight Talk Tech Support and beleive it or not "I got an answer". I am pasting the email responce below.

We value you as a customer and it is our pleasure serving you. We certainly understand that you would like to know which Straight Talk phones work under Verizon network.
    Here are the lists of Straight Talk (CDMA) phones that will borrow service from Verizon in reference from the website www.straighttalk.com: -
    LG 100C ($19.99)-
    LG 220C ($39.99)-
    LG 290C ($59.99)-
    Samsung R451C ($99.99)-
    Samsung R355C ($79.99)-
    LG 231C ($49.99)-
    Samsung R335C ($39.99)-
    LG 511C ($199.99)
    Straight Talk (GSM) phones that will borrow service from either AT&T or T-Mobile: -
    Samsung T255G ($34.99)-
    Nokia 6790G ($169.99)-
    Nokia E71G ($179.99)-
    Samsung T404G ($89.99)-
    Samsung T401 ($49.99)-
    LG 420G ($29.99)-
    LG 900G ($69.99)-
    LG 620G ($39.99)-
    Motorola W418 ($49.99)-
    Nokia E5 ($199.99)-
    Samsung T528G ($99.99)-
    Samsung T340G ($59.99)
    The Straight Talk phone that will work under Sprint coverage: -
    Samsung Galaxy Precedent/M828C handset ($149.99)-
    LG Optimus Q ($179.99)
    If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of ourcustomer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164.

So the mystery is solved. It depends upon which phone you choose.

Feedback Score
    While it is true that some ST phones work on the Verizon Network, NONE of the Android phones work on it, they are strictly Sprint powered.
    I believe there is a ST slider made by LG (might not be LG though) that runs on Verizons network but it is almost 200.00 for the phone. It is a feature phone though.
    But for that price and 5.00 more a month you can get a kickin Samsung Exhibit 2 4G from WalMart.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Thanks. This is good information.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    But for that price and 5.00 more a month you can get a kickin Samsung Exhibit 2 4G from WalMart.
    That is a great deal for that phone but the problem is then your stuck with T-mobile's inferior network. T-mobile coverage is a joke where I live and it's not I like I live in the boonies. I'm near the capital of New York State.

Feedback Score
    True TM is smaller than Verizon but it is much larger than Sprint. Much larger.
    If you do a large amount of traveling across the country Verizon or ATT may be what you need, but most people don't need that kind of coverage and end up paying for nation wide service they will never need.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If your in Metro areas, T-Mobile might have better coverage for you than even AT&T. *cough* San Francisco, New York City *cough* Both of which I've traveled to with a T-Mobile and AT&T phone.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On a side note I know there are some T-Mobile phone's that have the bands needed to use the E71 SIM & get 3G speeds. Does the Samsung Exhibit II have the correct bands? $200 seems like a really good deal for that phone if it's unlocked.

Edit. Now I'm really confused because two different websites are showing conflicting information

GSMArena shows the Exhibit II has the following bands:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 2100 / 1900

PhoneScoop shows it does not have the 2100 band:

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    WCDMA 850 / 1700 / 1900

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_exhibit_ii_4g-4277.php

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3506

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    On a side note I know there are some T-Mobile phone's that have the bands needed to use the E71 SIM & get 3G speeds. Does the Samsung Exhibit II have the correct bands? $200 seems like a really good deal for that phone if it's unlocked.
    I know someone knows the answer to the first part of my question above. What the bands are required to get AT&T 3G speeds? Also what current T-Mobile phone's have the correct bands for the E71 SIM to get 3G data? Do T-Mobile & AT&T use the same bands for voice? I'm a life long VZW user so I'm new to the world of GSM.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Bands for AT&T 3G are 850 and 1900. T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 (combined, aka AWS) for 3G.
    In GSM, Voice goes over 3G if your connected to the 3G network. Its not like CDMA where 1x is used for voice while EVDO is used for data, theres no split like that.

The Exhibit II 4G does indeed have the right bands. So does the new T-Mobile SGS2, Amaze 4G. Those 3 have BOTH AT&T 3G/4G bands.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile does not use the 2100 MHz band, which is Band I. It uses Band IV. Use of Band I would cause interference with Band II, which is the 1900 MHz UMTS band used by AT&T Mobility. The Federal Communications Commission would never allow this situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
    Earl F. Parrish

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast