Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Triumph vs. EVO 4G vs. Galaxy Prevail HELP!

Feedback Score

Triumph vs. EVO 4G vs. Galaxy Prevail HELP!

Hello all! I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Prevail from boost mobile. It's running froyo and rooted with no problems. I am considering getting an HTC Evo 4g with gingerbread flashed to work with my boost mobile account. I also noticed the Triumph is pretty power packed as well.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma in that I don't know if I should go with the HTC EVO, The Triumph, or stick with my Galaxy Prevail until something new rolls around. My biggest concern is the that the EVO is flashed and I don't know how reliable that is in terms of future us. I don't want to wake up one day and not have my $300 Evo not work because of an update or something silly.

I weighed out some pros and cons to help decide and wanted to hear what the community has the say. Are you triumph owners happy? Would you rather have a Flashed Evo?

EVO 4G Pros:

The better phone from the 3 choices. Running Gingerbread. No wifi tether issues.

EVO 4G Cons:

It's flashed and I don't know how reliable that will be in the future in terms of continued service and updates.

Triumph Pros:

Better than my Galaxy Prevail. Not flashed.

Triumph Cons:

Not familiar with Virgin Mobile service (although it is Sprint who also owns Boost). Wifi tether issue (have to change MTU on client side). Not running gingerbread.

Thank you for any input in advance!

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

The HTC evo 4g is a super nice phone. What kind of data plan do they have on Boost? The nice thing about VM is the unlimited data.

Triumph is a really good phone, and the $35 a month unlimited data is great (I'm locked in at $25).

If you can live with Boost's data rates and if the evo is priced reasonably, you might want to go that route since you are already with Boost.

edit;

I see that boost is offering reduced rates for unlimited plans, if you've been a long time customer. It looks like if you've been on the unlimited $50 plan for 18 months you can have it dropped to $35 a month.

If you can lock in the $35 or intend to be with boost for that long... I'd probably stay with boost. Mostly because the evo 4g is very nice, and it's kind of a drag switching providers.

But... if it's gonna cost you $50 a month and the evo is fairly priced... you might want to think about VM/Triumph. 18 months of boost at $50 per month would cost $270 more than VM over that same period. Roughly the cost of your phone.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 08-23-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Feedback Score
    $45 unlimited talk text and data with boost and my plan is set to shrink to $40 and eventually $35. I'm not so concerned with the monthly rate as I am the quality and reliability of the phone.

Feedback Score
    As far as price the evo will cost me an extra $80 over the triumph but my plan will be cheaper with boost than virgin mobile. So it's an even deal on price

Feedback Score
    OP

I am on VM, IMO their service is fine if you have a phone that works properly. I have owned all the Android phones that VM sells.
    From experience I can tell you. You do not want the Triumph. It sounds great on paper but it is not that good in practice.

I have never had an Evo 4G but my sister has one and while it is a nice phone it is not without its own problems. Is it a better phone than the Triumph? Yes but it is not trouble free.

If your current phone works well and you are happy enough with it, just wait for the next thing from Boost. There is no need to spend all that money now on something you may or may not be happy with, when your happy with what you have.
    I wish I would have kept my Optimus V and let every one else buy the Triumph. The phone makes my eyes bleed it is so bad. It worked pretty good when I first got it but in a short time it developed all the same issues that everyone else is complaining about. In fact, the only problem I think I don't have is the white screen problem. The light leaking from the edges of the screen is present but it is sooooo minor it is not even worth thinking about complaining about, everything else thought...........BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

In a nut shell. Stay with what you have until Boost gets something better, then let everyone else buy it, see what they say about the phone. If it is a POS skip it and wait for the next one. One thing I have learned. As long as your current phone works and you are happy with it. DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE. One day I will remember that when I get that new phone itch.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I'd stay with Boost and get the evo. Not because the Triumph is a bad phone (don't listen to all the crap)... but because you're already on Boost, and the evo IS a good phone. Why go through the hassle to pay more for the plan (in your specific case) ? It's actually the same for me... only in reverse (It wouldn't make sense for me to go from VM to boost, since I already own a Triumph and I'm locked into a low $25 plan

boost and evo is my honest answer, for your specific situation.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 08-23-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Phone
    Motorola Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    stay with boost.

triumph is a great phone, i have no problems with it at all. but like the previous user stated why switch over to VM when you already have boost?

Feedback Score
    how do you get an evo on Boost? I thought you couldnt use Sprint phones on Boost?

Feedback Score
    Some people have no problems with their Triumphs and for those I am happy but this phone does have issues and they need to be addressed.
    I am by no means the only one who has them, This forum has many members who have listed their problems, The Android Forum has just as many and if you take some time to read around the internet you will find a great many more that are coming forth with their problems.

To OP, if you opt for the Triumph and its a bad one you will not be alone in your misery.

Feedback Score
    The numerous problem posts about the triumph is what worried me the most. I'm just not 100% confident in a flashed phone. Does anybody have any experience with this that can chime in? Like I said I'm scared one day there will be an update and the phone will stop working and $300 down the drain. As far as the Galaxy Prevail. It's a nice phone but I want a REAL android not a toy. 2MP camera and hardly any internal memory for apps is holding me back a bit. I do love the wifi tether though a big plus.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Perhaps they'll release something official for Boost very soon. You might want to hold out until we get closer to the holidays (perhaps new phones).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armeN0317 View Post
    The numerous problem posts about the triumph is what worried me the most. I'm just not 100% confident in a flashed phone. Does anybody have any experience with this that can chime in? Like I said I'm scared one day there will be an update and the phone will stop working and $300 down the drain. As far as the Galaxy Prevail. It's a nice phone but I want a REAL android not a toy. 2MP camera and hardly any internal memory for apps is holding me back a bit. I do love the wifi tether though a big plus.

If you want a real android phone then (well all Androids are real Androids, but if you want a GOOD Android) first thing is to stop looking at pay as you go. Most all PAYG androids are entry level phones. The Triumph could be the exception were it not for the many problems it has. It's hardware is more than capable of making it a great mid grade android, but software and hardware issues (screens improperly glued in, light leakage, recessed buttons where they should protrude a pinch etc) on these are hurting it.
    Personally I believe the biggest part of these problems are a poorly developed ROM. Motorola/VM/whoever slopped through the ROM on the Triumph and we have what we have. I am hopeful that there will be patches or a OS update that will fix these issues once and for all, then I can like my phone.

If you want a good/great android you will have to go contract or buy one of their phones at full cost and flash or unlock or whatever to make it work on your PAYG providers network. I have a HTC Aria on Straight Talk. It is not one of their work horse phones but it does everything I need. And the service is no better or worse than any of the other phone companies I have used. And I think Verizon and TMobile are the only two I have not used.

What ever phone you decide on, do yourself a favor. Buy it after it has been out long enough for actual user reviews to come in. See how the phone is working for people in the real world. CNET and places like that (which are good places to get info but their reviews are IMHO often inflated) will almost always give rave reviews on these phones when they don't deserve them.
    The people that pay their hundreds of dollars for their phones and use them all the time, not just for a few hours at a electronics show, are the best indicators of the hardwares performance.

The red part above. This can be any phone on any network. Updates bricking your phone are luck of the draw. You never know when or if it is going to happen.

Good luck.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 08-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Feedback Score
    Great input! Keep it coming. I want to have my cake and eat it too. Hence the pay as you go android. I just wish we had better phones like the triumph on boost mobile. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the triumph is all it is cut out to be so I'm beginning to rule that out of the choices. I wish I could get some more input from those who have an EVO flashed to boost.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

I think most pay as you go providers will have very good phones by the beginning of next year. Virgin just got a good head start with the Triumph.

Wait 'til the Holidays and perhaps Boost will offer something like the Triumph and you won't have to worry about using a hacked phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    OP

I am on VM, IMO their service is fine if you have a phone that works properly. I have owned all the Android phones that VM sells.
    From experience I can tell you. You do not want the Triumph. It sounds great on paper but it is not that good in practice.

I have never had an Evo 4G but my sister has one and while it is a nice phone it is not without its own problems. Is it a better phone than the Triumph? Yes but it is not trouble free.

If your current phone works well and you are happy enough with it, just wait for the next thing from Boost. There is no need to spend all that money now on something you may or may not be happy with, when your happy with what you have.
    I wish I would have kept my Optimus V and let every one else buy the Triumph. The phone makes my eyes bleed it is so bad. It worked pretty good when I first got it but in a short time it developed all the same issues that everyone else is complaining about. In fact, the only problem I think I don't have is the white screen problem. The light leaking from the edges of the screen is present but it is sooooo minor it is not even worth thinking about complaining about, everything else thought...........BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

In a nut shell. Stay with what you have until Boost gets something better, then let everyone else buy it, see what they say about the phone. If it is a POS skip it and wait for the next one. One thing I have learned. As long as your current phone works and you are happy with it. DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE. One day I will remember that when I get that new phone itch.

You're out of your mind. Motorola Triumph is the best pre paid phone out, also I own two of them that work Flawless. These are amazing phones and much better than anything I had on Metro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast