Thread: Bold 9900 Restarting

Carrier
    Telus. For now.
    Feedback Score

Bold 9900 Restarting

Hey Folks,

Well, I took the plunge and picked up the new bold 9900. The keyboard is an absolute dream.

Anyway, it's not all rainbows and lollipops, as the phone has decided to restart itself 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason.

Should I be concerned? Take it back?

Thoughts?

Phone
    IPhone4S 64gb white & BB 9900 & HTC HERO (all current)
    Carriers
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    theres a lot of bugs on this phone. crappy batter. menu closes even though no button is stuck. restarts. a future update should fix this

Feedback Score
    had mine 3 days, zero issues

Have to say best BB to date, probably a year late but seems pretty solid so far

Carrier
    Telus. For now.
    Feedback Score
    I used desktop manager to 'restore' all of the data, settings, etc from my old Blackberry Tour onto this new Bold. Was this a bad idea in any way?

Just wondering if some settings from the much older berry would hinder the new one.

Phones
    Motorola, Samsung, Nokia!
    Two LG Nexus 5's
    Xperia
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    There have been issues in the past with a restore of certain files from older OS's to newer versions.

I would wipe the 9900 and just restore the contacts, calendar. You should not restore the entire old file to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhockey View Post
    I used desktop manager to 'restore' all of the data, settings, etc from my old Blackberry Tour onto this new Bold. Was this a bad idea in any way?

Just wondering if some settings from the much older berry would hinder the new one.

Carriers
    TELUS -> Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Just use BlackBerry Protect. Backup from old phone and restore to new
    Koodo! HAPPY!

Line 1 & 2 = Iphone 5 and Iphone 5s (Unlocked)
    Unlimited Calling Canada Wide
    CID / VM
    Internation TXT
    5GB Data
    $49.50 per line!

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    Archived: Motorola Milestone, HTC Touch Diamond CDMA, LG 8100, Samsung A540
    Retired: Panasonic Allure TX310, Nokia 5100 Series PAYG
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It seems to be that if you do anything with the phone before setting up your blackberry ID, you will run into issues later on. The recommended fix is to use desktop manager, remove blackberry identity, reinstall it, sign into it first, and then things should be working better.

Phones
    iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4,
    BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9900: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.296 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I haven't had a restarting issue.

Carrier
    Telus. For now.
    Feedback Score
    Hey Folks,

Seems like the issue was indeed the settings and what not that I copied over from my POS Tour.

Feedback Score
    jonnyhockey

Hey Folks,

Seems like the issue was indeed the settings and what not that I copied over from my POS Tour.
    I've had the exact same problem with my Telus 9900. Went and exchanged the first one for a new 9900 and still experiencing random resets while not using my phone. What solution did you find?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3/SW USB AC319U aircard+cradlepoint router
    -> Samsung A540 -> Moto Razr V3C -> BB 7130e -> BB 8830 -> BB 9630 -> Galaxy S3
    Sony CM-B1207 Clearnet PCS -> Sanyo 4000 -> Nokia 6188 ->
    Carriers
    Telus Mobility/ "Tablet 5" + 2 "Share 30 Faves"
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ss23 View Post
    I've had the exact same problem with my Telus 9900. Went and exchanged the first one for a new 9900 and still experiencing random resets while not using my phone. What solution did you find?
    You are replying to the post which mentions the solution (though not an explicit set of steps to follow but you should infer that part)
    He is saying the settings from the previous phone were the cause of the problem.

So here are your steps to follow:
    Take a backup of your phone.
    Maybe also setup blackberry protect if you have not done so before to make an OTA backup of core app data.
    Wipe it to factory defaults.
    Set it up from scratch and do not restore the entire backup you made earlier.

At this point you test the phone to see if the restarting problem has stopped. If it has stopped, then it's not likely a hardware issue but it's a problem with some kind of corrupt or incompatible preferences being brought over from your previous backup/restores and previous phones. Your old backups are bad and should not be used for a full restore.

Only restore individual databases to recover critical information that is missing and not brought back in after you have setup the sync with your email accounts.
    Do not restore any system settings, instead recreate them from scratch.
    As much as possible try not to restore from your previous backup except in cases where the data does not come back through OTA sync or simply by setting up your apps again.
    Using blackberry protect to recover your core app data should also be safe.
    Third party apps may have some data lost, but often it's just preferences that you can setup again on your own.
    Clearnet Digital PCS

We think everyone should be able to afford a wireless phone. That's why we were the first wireless company in North America to offer pay-by-the-second airtime, and why we don't charge an activation fee. NO scary contract to sign. Immediate national coverage. And a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. Yes, it's finally time to get a wireless phone.
    f u t u r e . f r i e n d l y™

Best viewed with Netscape 3.0 at 800 x 600 resolution.