Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EX124 - First Impressions

Feedback Score

Thumbs up EX124 - First Impressions

Gotta hand it to Tracfone; the phone is decent and their customer service - if you call the right number - is swift and painless.

The 124 came yesterday (which surprised me, I expected it today at the earliest) I got all the numbers I needed in the past for making the switch to a new phone, dug out the Miami number (the only one I'll use), and gave TF a call.

The call was answered on the first ring by a very polite woman with a slight accent, but not difficult to understand.

After a couple questions to confirm I was who I said I was she asked for the SN# of the new phone & how many minutes were on the old one. She had me go into code entry mode on the old phone; first to confirm the amount I told her, then to cancel them from the old phone, then I could hear her typing a moment..... and that was it.

I was all prepared to do the code entry mode on the new phone as I had in the past but never had to.

She told me that I would have the triple minutes, that it could take up to 2 days for the number to port over & that I should shut off the new phone and turn it on again, maybe twice.

A minute after I hung up with her the new phone came to life with the customary 20 extra minutes.

Total time = no more than 5 minutes.

First impressions about the phone:

I like it, I have not added any apps or such but I already like it a whole lot more than my old trusty Moto 376.

I had some concern about the touch screen; in some threads I read folks were not totally happy with it; said the LG was better, and the fact that they included a stylus didn't offer me a lot of confidence in it either. But I have no problems at all; picks up my pressing the screen without any issues and I am not pressing hard at all. I have used the stylus when I wanted to be precise in where I wanted to press; like between two letters in a txt I was composing, but otherwise I leave it in its holder. I do need to use the keyboard in landscape mode; beefy fingers.

The one area the stylus has been easier to use than my fingers is when sliding between screens on the home page or dis-engaging the screen lock (since disabled), but maybe that will become easier as I use the phone more often. Instead of a burden I am actually happy though that the stylus is there; it is something I am accustomed to using (my GPS is a older Garmin iQUE 3600 which is a PDA with a built in GPS).

Now that the phone is activated I'll work on adding a couple apps, and play with the browser a bit.

The only area of concern I have about this phone is how rugged it will be; I am real hard on phones and the 376's I've had, built like tanks, were up to that challenge; bouncing with only a scratch. I feel I want, no, need, to get some case for the 124; something that entirely encases the front and back would be best for me.

The radio works okay; sounds real good; I like how it shows the station and song info on the screen, but a little weak in the reception area; some fairly local stations were not coming in at all. I like that I can quickly move across the dial by dragging the channel location indicator instead of having to press the buttons on the screen to slowly move across the dial.

I have not used the multimedia player yet for mp3's or such as I am waiting a on a 8gb class 10 card from costco ($18 delivered) to come in.

The speaker can be used to listen to your call or your music and it is LOUD, much louder then the speaker on my 376.

Camera is easy to use, automatically saves the photos (and videos) instead of my having to tell it to, videos aren't bad in good lighting. Sound recorder is decent as well.

The new menus will take a little getting used to, but they are not terrible.

Call quality seems to be good; good feedback on sound and clarity, and it seemed okay on my end as well, maybe a little broken up, typical crummy cell phone as opposed to land line. I was happy to see that I had the AT&T SIM card like my older phones.

Speaking of the SIM card, I have used a SIM reader/writer in the past to transfer the info from my old dead phones to the new ones without a glitch. This time though I am getting a error when I try to write to the new card which is a bummer because I have a ton of contacts I need to copy over. I hope that it is just a problem with the reader/writer.

Overall I am happy with the phone. I don't plan on doing any serious web browsing but it is nice to have & I can see it being a asset when we are on vacation for quickly looking up flights, weather, etc. The touch screen is very friendly, and texting, something I do infrequently but occasionally need to, is a whole lot easier on this phone than the 376.

If only it had wifi, then it would be awesome.

Have a Magical Day

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for your well-constructed, thought out, and written review. Exemplary, I must say! Could we slip you a couple of bucks to entice you to hang around Howard Forums more and be a regular contributor?

By all means post more when you have it, especially regarding any app installations. There's a lot of half-baked info going around about this model.

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Whacker.....excellent review! I was considering getting an EX124 but couldn't make up my mind. After reading your review I'm leaning hard to the ok side. Thanks for taking the time to review and post.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review. I too am considering the EX124g.

If I may ask a question...

Is there a Contacts Backup & Restore function on the EX124g. I would look to backup the contacts on my old phone and then bluetooth the backup file to the EX124g. Once the backup file is on the EX124g, I can use the restore function to get my contacts on the new phone.

I looked at the EX124g online manual on the StraightTalk website; I saw no mention of Contacts Backup/Restore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feedback Score
    Greetings again one and all & thank you for your kind words about my little review.

As I plod through my new toy I do hope to share whatever I can in regards to my experiences.

I have not as of yet added much in the way of apps yet; been focusing a bit on alternative browsers & I'll post my results later.

Quote Originally Posted by am1528 View Post

.....Is there a Contacts Backup & Restore function on the EX124g....I looked at the EX124g online manual on the StraightTalk website; I saw no mention of Contacts Backup/Restore.
    Personally I do not have an answer for you, sorry, if it is not in the manual then you might be out of luck. Is your other phone a Motorola with that feature?

One short coming of the phone, IMHO, so far, is the lack of support literature; even Motorola's own support site has been a dud for me so far.

Hopefully as more TF user realize that there is a new phone in town and share their discoveries we'll get a greater understanding of how to maneuver through its complexities and exploit all its abilities.

Despite a couple of minor quirks that I have encountered I am still quite happy with the 124 and can fathom no reason to give it up.

Have a Magical Day

Feedback Score

WEB charge

How much do they charge to use the Web; check email..?

Feedback Score
    Web time is charged at 0.5 unit per minute. I haven't used the web much so I can't remember if they just charged you a 0.5 unit at connection like they do for a phone call but I'm pretty sure that they do. I have no idea how long it would take to download your email as I haven't set mine up. Your on 2G maybe 2.5G so a couple of minutes at the outside??? Longer if you have a bad connection. If you have lots of email messages in your email account it could take a long time to get everything the first time. Much shorter there after. I read on somebodies forum that downloading email is pretty fast. Depends on the quality of the connection and how many changes there have been in all of the email boxes.

Text is charged at 0.3 unit per text. Picture text your charged for both, 0.3 unit for the text and 0.5 unit for the picture. Hey come on it's Tracfone. No cell phone provider is your friend folks.

On the other hand you get TMFL so if you find a one year service card for $75, on amazon, you get 3 times 400=1200+200 promo=1400 minutes. You do the math. I don't talk a lot and the wife and I are learning to text, a qwerty keyboard helps a lot there; so maybe with lite phone use and a little web use I'll be able to keep the total cost of service at $10 per month. Not counting the cost of the phone which is truthfully the only bump in the road.

I'm on ATT and my friends choke when I tell them what it's costing me. Not a smart phone but I'm happy so far and I'm a closet geek.
    Last edited by junk_jim; 08-28-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for this post. You gave me hope for tracfone. I was seriously thinking of going to PP+ because it's cheaper, but I still have my respect for TF.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to download a GBA emulator for the ex124g?

And are you confirming the the TMFL lets you use promo code? Sorry if this has been confimed before, I haven't been up to date with TF's new stuff.

Feedback Score
    I know nothing about GBA emulators, had to Google it.
    http://www.clubmogames.com/forum/nok...jar-converter/
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9033808AAqJTub

Java specs seem to indicate maybe??

No on promo codes and triple minutes as I just got the phone and haven't received the service card from amazon yet. Promos work for the DMFL phones so I just assumed.... I guess you should assume nothing. They did include a booklet of promos with the phone but i guess that doesn't prove anything. I'll know for sure later this week.

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    I read in another blog from two different people that their EX124's screen is starting to get black marks on it from their fingers sliding on the surface. Apparently the marks are permanent. Wondering if anyone here has that happening to their EX124.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdude View Post
    I read in another blog from two different people that their EX124's screen is starting to get black marks on it from their fingers sliding on the surface. Apparently the marks are permanent. Wondering if anyone here has that happening to their EX124.
    That would really stink.

Concerned myself about damage from long term use of the screen I purchased a screen protector, this one made originally for a iphone then cut it to size, and had it on the my phone within the first few days of ownership; no signs of wear from the heavy use prior to that though.

Have a Magical Day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertdude View Post
    Most people probably will replace their Tracfone every year ... besides that should be taken care of by the 1 year warranty; I assume it 's no big deal!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post

Speaking of the SIM card, I have used a SIM reader/writer in the past to transfer the info from my old dead phones to the new ones without a glitch. This time though I am getting a error when I try to write to the new card which is a bummer because I have a ton of contacts I need to copy over. I hope that it is just a problem with the reader/writer.

FWIW: just an update here.

Despite the error msg, I find that the contacts did indeed copy over to the new SIM card. I discovered this today while playing with the settings, in particular where contacts would be saved. When I chose the option for both the SIM and the Phone I saw double listings of all my contacts; with the contacts having icons next to them of either a phone or a SIM card.

Of course I discover this after I spent all that time putting them in one at a time...<sigh>

Have a Magical Day

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junk_jim View Post
    I know nothing about GBA emulators, had to Google it.
    http://www.clubmogames.com/forum/nok...jar-converter/
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9033808AAqJTub

Java specs seem to indicate maybe??
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE LINK!!!!

What do you mean service card from amazon? I thought the TMFL is already included in the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
    Of course I discover this after I spent all that time putting them in one at a time...<sigh>
    Have a Magical Day
    Sorry to hear that. Atleast your ex124g isn't broken I broke my 3rd tracfone because after I manually transfered 50+ contacts, numbers, phones, emails, etc... I found out that I already did it last night and saved it under sim.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I bought the one year service + 400 minutes card on amazon. The triple minutes is attached to the phone but they are very clear that it doesn't apply to promos. So the card I bought comes with one year of service plus 400 minutes that becomes 1200 minutes with the triple minutes but the promo code that gives you an additional 200 minutes for that card remains 200 minutes and not 600.

The screen of the phone feels flexible like plastic so I believe a screen protector is in order as I'm pretty careless with a phone. Hey it's a tool.

I have to say it's a pretty fun phone to play with. I'm sure that will wear off and I"ll want a real smart phone but in the meantime I'm pretty pleased with it.

I'm still looking for a free PDF reader that will open large PDF's and PDF images. If you have one or see one I'd appreciate a heads up.

Also I've downloaded two spreadsheet programs microcalc and miniexcel, they work but data entry is a little clumsy. If anyone knows of a spreadsheet program that works better with this phone please let me know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast