Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Can you flash a Sprint iPhone onto Metro's Network?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can you flash a Sprint iPhone onto Metro's Network?

    Someone's got to ask the question, so I will.
    I don't think you can flash a Verizon iPHone onto Metro and get talk and data to work.
    Will you be able to do so with Sprint iphone? I think Sprint and Metro work in similar enough spectrum bands?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I thought someone has done it before so its possible

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,059
    Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    I thought someone has done it before so its possible
    When you say someone has done it, do you mean flashing a Sprint phones to Metro (yes it has been done) -- or flashing a Verizon iPhone to Metro? No, no one has flashed an iPhone (Verizon or otherwise) to work on Metro.

    As for Sprint iPhones flashed to Metro, no need to try in markets where flashed phones don't work. AND even in the basic frequency markets, it would be on Metro's slow CDMA network, so why bother? Just to have hand candy? iPhone would suck on Metro's 100 - 200k CDMA network.

    I want a fast LTE Android.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    When you say someone has done it, do you mean flashing a Sprint phones to Metro (yes it has been done) -- or flashing a Verizon iPhone to Metro? No, no one has flashed an iPhone (Verizon or otherwise) to work on Metro.

    As for Sprint iPhones flashed to Metro, no need to try in markets where flashed phones don't work. AND even in the basic frequency markets, it would be on Metro's slow CDMA network, so why bother? Just to have hand candy? iPhone would suck on Metro's 100 - 200k CDMA network.

    I want a fast LTE Android.
    I believe I saw someone posting from an iphone on metro, probably sprint iphone, again though I agree why use it on 1x network I dont know.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,671
    Phones
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Htc EVO
    Htc Sensation 4G
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    What is the obsession with an iPhone? Still to this day I don't get it!

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Status: Metro Mafia®
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM




    11/4 3000th post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Phones
    LG Optimus M
    LG Optimus M
    Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    I believe I saw someone posting from an iphone on metro, probably sprint iphone, again though I agree why use it on 1x network I dont know.
    How could it be a sprint iphone, there is no sprint iphone til october. I remember reading someone flashed one to cricket but didn't get the data working but that was months ago, I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten it working but again why have an iphone to use on a slow network, unless you can get one cheap enough it would be a waste of money.

    Sent from my LG-MS690 using HowardForums

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrown23 View Post
    How could it be a sprint iphone, there is no sprint iphone til october. I remember reading someone flashed one to cricket but didn't get the data working but that was months ago, I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten it working but again why have an iphone to use on a slow network, unless you can get one cheap enough it would be a waste of money.

    Sent from my LG-MS690 using HowardForums
    thats....what i was about to say lol....sprint doesnt have an iPhone yet...maybe with the new one but as of now theres none so...this thread is dumb lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    26
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by L0GiC4L 3ViL View Post
    What is the obsession with an iPhone? Still to this day I don't get it!

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    easy answer there lol....its apple lol....apple has everyone thinking there stuff is better but you will never see may paying a grand for a $300-400 laptop haha ill stick to my evo...and soon hopefully Evo3D on Metro =D

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    436
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know of some one who has def flashed a verizon iphone to metro data and all working for a few days at the time we talked he was working to figure out why the data stopped and how to get it to stay

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie123 View Post
    I know of some one who has def flashed a verizon iphone to metro data and all working for a few days at the time we talked he was working to figure out why the data stopped and how to get it to stay
    That could be the one I remember reading about.
    I dont pay much attention to iphones, I dont want one I dont care about them lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boondocks
    Posts
    4,514
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodykiller86 View Post
    easy answer there lol....its apple lol....apple has everyone thinking there stuff is better but you will never see may paying a grand for a $300-400 laptop haha ill stick to my evo...and soon hopefully Evo3D on Metro =D
    that might be your current argument, I've got 3 different pc's, an xp,a windows 7, and a mac(which is 2 years old btw), and I speak in terms of there notebooks, there build quality is very good, and everyone here knows I'm not a huge apple fan or ever will be, but unless you got money to blow, windows is the way to go, should be my new damn slogan
    HITMAN OF THE METRO MAFIA


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,059
    Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
    that might be your current argument, I've got 3 different pc's, an xp,a windows 7, and a mac(which is 2 years old btw), and I speak in terms of there notebooks, there build quality is very good, and everyone here knows I'm not a huge apple fan or ever will be, but unless you got money to blow, windows is the way to go, should be my new damn slogan
    I've got a couple of friends who have drank the Apple Kool-Aid. When Steve Jobs passes gas, they swear they smell a sweet pine scent. One of them told me the iPhone 4 was better than Android because it had dual cameras. I told him glad he liked it -- but an Android had that before the iPhone. I had to send him proof the EVO 4G launched before the iPhone 4. So many other things like that. I've had a quad core CPU in my desktop since 2008, Macs only got quad core this year. I'm not saying Apple hasn't been innovative with some things, but in many areas they are actually technology laggards -- but Steve Jobs hypnotizes them into believing it's the latest and greatest.

    Apple fanbois do not do independent research. One of my Apple friends flatly told me the iPhone 4 antenna issue was not true because Steve Jobs said it wasn't, that on Apple's website was videos "proving" there was nothing wrong. SERIOUSLY? You are going to believe Apple's word over Consumer Reports AND THREE other independent respected testing companies? Steve Jobs is a proven liar and a thief (he lied about paternity for his daughter saying he was sterilized and couldn't be the dad, forcing his ex-girlfriend to go on welfare when he was rich -- and stole money from Woz in the early days of Apple).

    That's like just recently Apple photoshopped images of the Galaxy Tab to "prove" it was similar to the iPhone. Apple LIES all the time.

    Another example is their iPhone "Retina Display" is NOT really a retina display. Steve Jobs blatantly lied in his presentation to say it was and make up numbers to support his assertion.

    iPhone 4’s ‘Retina’ Display Claims Are False Marketing
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-4-retina/


    Yeah, Apple's build construction may be great on some of their products, but if you want to pay that kind of price, I can show you great $1000 - $2000 Windows laptops/desktops where the build construction is just as nice as Apple's. But no need to pay that kind of price for a computer. For half the price you can get higher res screen, faster CPU, more RAM, HDMI ports, and many have Blu-Ray players . "Oh, but Steve Jobs won't let us have a Blu ray player in our computers. He says they are evil."

    Here's a couple of laptops on sale right now that match or beat Apple specs.

    Office Max
    Toshiba L775S724 5 L775-S7245
    Laptop with 17-in. Widescreen.
    Intel Core i32310M processor.
    6GB memory,

    640GB hard drive,
    LabelFlash SuperMulti DVD Drive.
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    $549.99
    8/21/2011 -8/27/2011
    Staples
    Toshiba L775DS72 22 L775D-S7222
    Laptop with 17.3-in. Widescreen.
    AMD Quad Core A6 3400M processor.
    6GB memory,
    500GB hard drive,
    LabelFlash SuperMulti DVD Drive.
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    $499.99
    8/21/2011 -8/27/2011
    Best Buy
    Toshiba P755S521 5 P755-S5215
    Laptop with 15.6-in. Widescreen.
    Intel Core i3 processor,
    6GB DDR3 memory,

    640GB hard drive.
    DVD +-RW & Blu-ray drive.
    802.11B/G/N & WiMax Wireless.
    Webcam, Microphone.
    Intel Wireless display.
    Up to 6 hrs. 28 min battery.
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    $599.99
    8/21/2011 - 8/27/2011
    Their iPhone 4 years ago changed the game, I'll admit that. But that was 4 years ago. 3 years ago Android came along and evened the score. Now Android is winning.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 08-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    OK- as the "moron" that started this thread, I should qualify where I was coming from...

    Sprint is rumored to have the iPhone in October- so it's impossible to have flashed a Sprint iPhone to Metro or Cricket as of today.

    I would think it's possible though to do so in October. Whether anyone would want to is obviously another story. It is definitely less attractive to run an iPhone on a 2.5G network- but to be frank, I had the iPhone 3GS and 4 on AT&T's network in NYC, and believe me- it's probably worse than what someone might experience through Metro. I barely had talk in a lot of areas, much less data. Looking back, it was probably useful because there is so much wifi in NYC that the crappy data speeds (i would kill for 200 kbits at times) were bearable.

    The whole Apple obsession is definitely puzzling to me- for reasons highlighted by everyone on this board. The premium for the iPhone and their laptops/desktop is generally unattractive. However, the iPad does represent value for that segment of the market- and the fact that there isn't a single producer who can compete at the $600 price level is proof of that. There is no tablet market today, only an iPad market.

    I do believe that there will be a 4G LTE, "trimmed down" iPhone that can probably be had for < $300 without a contract within 18 months. Apple has publicly discussed how they do not just want to be a high-end product. A cheaper version for int'l markets will be out before end of 2011. How far behind can a version for the Metro/LEAP's of the world be? Wouldn't there be a mad rush for this among Metro's customers?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you still live in nyc a flashed phone of any sort probably wont work for you, I believe nyc is one of the aws band only areas

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metro Atlanta area
    Posts
    3,059
    Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    If you still live in nyc a flashed phone of any sort probably wont work for you, I believe nyc is one of the aws band only areas
    Exactly right.

    http://www.metropcs.com/metroflash/
    MetroFLASH® is currently unavailable in Bossier City, LA; western & northern Michigan; and the Boston and New York areas.
    These markets above use AWS frequencies, not the "normal" CDMA frequencies. So, any Metro network phones need to have those frequency chipsets already built in. Therefore phones flashed from Verizon and Sprint do not work in those markets.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 08-25-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 03:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
  3. Flash to Cricket Network
    By mveal05 in forum USCellular
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM
  4. Need to flash Sprint branded 9630 back to Sprint
    By moviemogul in forum Sprint
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 08:28 AM
  5. Can't flash Sprint v9m back to Sprint Monster
    By guest1guest1 in forum Motorola Phone Problems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks