Thread: What are the differences between Tracfone and Net 10?

Feedback Score

What are the differences between Tracfone and Net 10?

I have been checking out a new prepaid phone all morning. I like the LG 800G, the Samsung T404G and the LG 900G which only Net 10 has. I currently have a Tracfone with over 500 min. and service pd until April. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Very confused!
    Judyf

Carrier
    Air Voice
    Feedback Score
    If you switch to Net 10 you will lose your minutes. If you stay with Tracfone you keep the minutes and the service date. Tracfone is for people that don't use many minutes each month while Net 10 is for heavier users since the minutes usually cost less but the service date is shorter. If it were me I'd stay with Tracfone but you have a wider selection of phones on Net 10. Hope this helps.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    What desertdude said, and additionally: TracFone offers a new deal on a few select phones (the Triple Minutes For Life, or TMFL) that gets the per minute cost down several cents below what Net10 can do. Word has it (maybe people are just hoping) that this feature will eventually include more phones, or be available separately to add to any via a purchased card, like the DMFL card is. Whatever the case, it is a good way to go if you're interested in a good per minute rate and a (usually) three month refill interval. Do the math: They're getting down under $0.06 per minute depending on card purchased (and TMFL applied).

Net10's strong suit is more their two newer flat-rated, fixed-amount monthly plans ($25/750 min & $50 Unlimited). They do have a slightly better phone selection than TracFone, but Trac seems to be improving with the addition of several new phones (two touch screens and a two hardware qwertys).

Of course, being the same company, their coverages are the same for who the underlying carrier is (which depends on the phone model or SIM card installed).

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The 900 has to come from Net10. The 404 comes with TMFL from Tracfone. The 800 from Tracfone direct is DMFL and WILL have the latest software. The 800 can be had with TMFL from HSN/E-bay/Amazon, but will probably have the original potential problem software at this time.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend (non techy friend) that likes the 404 on straight talk. I played with it for a little bit and it was similar to the 401 on st and net10. i ordered the trac 404 but it is at the local fedex office.

It really depends on how many minutes you use a month. For low use the tmfl 404 or 124. for net10 i like the 900 on att towers or the 355 samsung that uses vzw towers.

For straight talk i like the nokia e71

Since you still have 500 mins and are good till april you are probably on the plan that you need to be on. So i would prob get the 404 with the tmfl. It is about 60 bucks. Which isnt bad for a 2 mp camera and a qwerty. The 124 has a 3mp camera. Radio music player but the touch screen isnt the best and not really that great to text on. I found thr 124 easier to text and work with than the other touchscreen the 800.

The trac touchscreen phones are resistive which is a little sluggish. And actually do better with a stylus than a finger (124 comes with a stylus)

The 404 is easier to text with. Qwerty is nice. It is a basic talk/text light browser phone. The 404 on straight talk has edge (2g) data speeds i assume the trac does as well. As does the 124 and the 800 on trac.

Personally i think the 124 is the better phone but not necessarily the easiest one to use. Motorolas tend to have good speakers and good cellular radios.

However my friend with the 404 drives 40 miles to and from work from the boonies and she has reported great reception with the 404. there is a quarter mile dead spot on her way home whether she uses the 404 or the moto 376.

The moto 376 has a good reputation for its signal.

Samsung has come a long way with their radios (cellular radio) in the past 5 years.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Carriers
    Tracfone, Net10
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Since Tracfone started offering TMFL, I no longer see any reason to switch to Net10 unless you use enough minutes to justify one of their monthly plans.

Feedback Score
    Net10 and Tracfone used to be a lot simpler but things have changed in the last two years. Net10 is becoming the overall brand for America Movil, Tracfone is regaining steam as the paygo brand while Straight Talk is the monthly/unlimited plan brand.

All three have strong and weakpoints. None have official byod. (yeah, there are loopholes but that's another thread's info).

All the previous posters have place some good advice about what characterizes each branch of America Movil along with their recent changes if any.

Good job hofos.

Feedback Score

Great help, Thanks!

All of you have helped a great deal!! I agree that I probably should stay with tracfone, although I probably will use more min. because I'll be able to access the web. My existing phone won't do that. I think the t404 is the best but wish tracfone had the lg 900.
    Judyf

Carrier
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55 View Post
    Since Tracfone started offering TMFL, I no longer see any reason to switch to Net10 unless you use enough minutes to justify one of their monthly plans.
    I went Net 10. I hope to learn the phone enough and find out what apps actually work, get my internet fix over with (or find I love it and can't live without it) then wean my plan down, or find a more internet friendly phone. It's truly a test phone for me in some ways. I do like that if I want to save, I can switch down to a plan with less minutes, unlike my AT&T plan, where I was stuck paying the same amount each month irregardless of what I planned to do.

Feedback Score
    I think the recent changes to Net10 are to acquire customers who USED to be on a major carrier post paid plan (with all the nasty below the line charges and extra fees) who want to save money. Better phones (including android models) are designed to keep customers around, rather than have customers buy & toss a phone after a few months. Tracfone is for customers either on a limited or intermittant income/tight budget or who need disposable service and/or phones. Most people can scrape together $8 a month to buy phone service-- if not, then you probably qualify for free lifeline service from Safelink or Assurance (virgin mobile/sprint mvno brand).

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    We have Tracfone and Net10 in our house, I'm the low minute user so TF is best for me, husband needs 400+ minutes a month and that cost too much on Tf so he switched to net10 $25 a month plan.

We also have a daughter on ATT Gophone and she was able to buy the phone she wanted (with touchscreen and qwerty keyboard) used on Ebay for $80 and is on the simple plan which is 10 c/a min. but since she only talks minimal and mostly texts it is quite affordable. I like the flexibility of her plan. If she wants to add a text package of 1,000 she pays $10, also if she wants to add data it's a low as $5 a month. It's not cheap for high volume users but works for her.