Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG500G - Need my contatcs

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Question LG500G - Need my contatcs

Hi, I have a tracfone LG500G and the screen broke on it. It still functions, I can take incoming calls and return my last call, and if I'm carefull, I can unlock the keypad, push end to make sure I'm at the home screen, push down, type out someones name and hit send, and it will call them. But the screen is broken so I can't see what I'm doing. I need to trade it in and get a new one, but I need to keep my contact list that is on it. Before I always transfered it to a new phone via bluetooth, but without a detailed walkthrough on what button to push in what order to do it blind, I don't think I'll be able to do that. I'm wondering if there is some way I can use a data cable to pull the contacts onto my computer, then send them to my new phone when I get it. My new phone will probably be the same thing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    If you had a micro SD card installed in the phone and if you used the LG 500G contacts backup function, all you would need to do is install the micro SD card in the new LG 500G and use the phone's contacts restore function to regain your contacts from that backup file. The card should also contain the other content that you added to customize the phone (ie ringtones, pictures, etc).

There may be other ways to accomplish what you need but I don't know what they are. I'm sure others will jump in with other viable suggestions.

Going forward, if you don't use the contacts backup function, you may want to become familiar with it. It is invaluable.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Once you receive the identical phone you can set them side by side and go key stroke by keystroke on each using the new one for a reference.

Feedback Score
    That's a great suggestion Tracfancier - I wish that I would have thunk of it!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by am1528 View Post
    If you had a micro SD card installed in the phone and if you used the LG 500G contacts backup function, all you would need to do is install the micro SD card in the new LG 500G and use the phone's contacts restore function to regain your contacts from that backup file. The card should also contain the other content that you added to customize the phone (ie ringtones, pictures, etc).

There may be other ways to accomplish what you need but I don't know what they are. I'm sure others will jump in with other viable suggestions.

Going forward, if you don't use the contacts backup function, you may want to become familiar with it. It is invaluable.
    That's good to know about, I will definitely be looking into that in the future. Won't help me for now though. pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier
    Once you receive the identical phone you can set them side by side and go key stroke by keystroke on each using the new one for a reference.
    I thought about that, but the problem is I plan to trade it in on the Walmart purchase protection plan that I bought with the phone, and I doubt that they will let me keep both of them so that I can play with that. Is definitely a good idea though, and I might end up trying that if I can.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Once they run the return of the defective phone through the cash register you completely lose any remainder of the 30 day plan and your phone number. You have to port first.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Once they run the return of the defective phone through the cash register you completely lose any remainder of the 30 day plan and your phone number. You have to port first.
    That sounds very not good. How do I need to go about it then?, because it is very important to me that I keep my number.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by InevGlitch View Post
    That sounds very not good. How do I need to go about it then?, because it is very important to me that I keep my number.
    Get WalMart to work with you on this. Speak with the Dept Mgr if necessary. They should be able to port everything to the new phone right there for you. See if they will allow you extra time to move your remaining important Info from the old to the new phone. Seems they could allow you to return the old phone a day or two later for a refund.

Feedback Score
    If you can't work things out with Walmart and you find yourself purchasing a new phone at the Tracfone website, here is a promo code worth $5 off the purchase of the phone - GI2011

I don't want to sound untrustworthy of my fellow human beings on this big blue rotating marble we call Earth, but I'd be nervous about turning in my old cellphone without at least deleting my contacts and personal info - providing that the screen on the old phone is as bad as you described.

Feedback Score
    If you have a micro SD card installed in the old phone and if you feel comfortable navigating your phone without a visible display, below are the steps to backup contacts on the LG500G. This assumes that the "Menu" is in a default, out-of-box state and that the "Contacts" icon is in it's default location.

Turn the phone off, wait 30 seconds and then turn the phone on. This ensures that you will start at the “Home” screen when you execute the below instructions.

From the “Home” screen, press the “ - “ key to the right of the “Send” key once. This is the soft key that gets you to the “Menu”

Press the right key on the jog dial once – this highlights “Contacts”

Press the center key of the jog dial once – to enter the “Contacts” menu

Press the down key of jog dial once – this highlights “Settings”

Press the center key of the jog dial once to enter “Settings” menu

Press the down key of jog dial 4 times – this highlights “Backup Contacts”

Press the center key of the jog dial – the phone beeps once and prompts if you want to “Backup Contacts”

Press the center key of the jog dial – this selects “Yes” and begins the Contacts backup process. Do NOT touch any other keys after you select “Yes”
    Depending on how much contact information you have, this may take minutes to complete.

Wait until the phone beeps twice. This signals the backup is complete

You now have your contacts backed up to the micro SD card

You can now remove the micro SD card from the old phone and insert the micro SD card into the new phone. Using the above instruction, navigate to the “Settings” menu. Highlight and select “Restore Contacts”. The contact backup file is in the “Others” folder. Since you will have a working screen at this point, I don’t feel a need to detail the restore process.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by am1528 View Post
    If you have a micro SD card installed in the old phone and if you feel comfortable navigating your phone without a visible display, below are the steps to backup contacts on the LG500G. This assumes that the "Menu" is in a default, out-of-box state and that the "Contacts" icon is in it's default location.

Turn the phone off, wait 30 seconds and then turn the phone on. This ensures that you will start at the “Home” screen when you execute the below instructions.

From the “Home” screen, press the “ - “ key to the right of the “Send” key once. This ...
    Thank you very much for that walk through. I used it and it worked beautifully first try.

Here's what ended up happening. First I borrowed a microSD card from my brother, and used the steps am1528 gave to back up my contacts. Then I went to Wal-Mart. They told me that because it had been more then 15 days since I purchased the phone (it was less then 30, however) and because it was damage, not a defect then they could do nothing for me in store. I had purchased their $6.00 replacement plan however, and that does cover accidental damage. They said I had to call the number in the pamphlet to follow that through.

So I called the number. Inside the pamphlet there is a Wal-Mart gift card. They explained to me that once I called them and started the process, they would send me a pre-paid shipping label for UPS. Once UPS scanned that to ship out the phone then they said they would load the gift card with the amount I had paid for the phone originally, not including tax and the price of the protection plan, obviously, for use towards the purchase of a new phone. I asked them if that money, once they loaded the card, was good only towards a new phone, or if it was good for anything in store. They told me I should be able to use it for anything in Wal-Mart, which is fine with me because I shop there regularly.

So what I went ahead and did is bought a new phone then and there, after starting the return process, with the idea that they would pay me back later in the form of that card that I can spend on anything in store. Hopefully that works out for me, lol, we'll have to wait and see on that.

On the plus side, they had a few of the LG500G's there that at the same price as the normal ones, and with everything the normal ones came with on their own, also included a 4GB micro SD card. So I took advantage of that.

On the minus side, when I got on the phone with tracfone (after half an hour of hold to get a rep, plus another half hour of them trying to get ahold of "the other department", then they said that though they would port over my phone number, they could not port over all of my minutes. As I could not read my screen to give them an exact number of how many I had, I told them I had approx. 380. Which is true. They told me that "the other department" would only authorize them to give me 300 minutes. It seems odd to me that they would not be able to find out from their end how many minutes where on a phone. Seems like that would make it susceptible to hacking your phone to think it had infinite minutes. Any input on what to say to them, or how to get them to give you all the minutes you had would be appreciated.

Anyway, so far all has gone well. Thanks to am1528 's walkthrough, I have my contacts now. I was able to keep my old number. And now I have my new phone, now with an SD card that I have my contacts backed up on. I got most of my minutes, and I have more service days left then I did on the phone that broke, by about two months.

What remains to be seen for sure is how the return of the old phone goes. According to their rep on the phone, it should be fine, and I should be able to spend the money on the gift card for whatever I want, so in the end I won't be out anything. We'll see though.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    They can contact the service provider of your phone (AT&T or T-Mobile) and find out exactly how many minutes you have used, but it will take them some time to do this. Make them do this to varify you are telling them the truth. If they don`t do it then they are trying to short you on the minutes. Mention the BBB.

Feedback Score
    I had a similar experience about 4 months ago when I purchased a new Tracfone to replace my old Tracfone. When I called customer service to port my telephone number and transfer minutes, there was a discrepancy of over 300 minutes.

In a gentle and non-threatening tone I responded "I don't know what would cause this large discrepancy and to transfer any minutes less than what my phone displays is unacceptable, especially since I've already paid for those unused minutes. Plus what is displayed is consistent with my usage. If possible, I'd like to speak to a manager to resolve the issue."

I was put on hold for a few minutes and the rep returned to say that they would honor my displayed minutes within 10 minutes,

I can deal with a loss of 10 minutes more readily than 300+ minutes.

I thought my experience was an anomaly. Now that I hear of a second incidence, I wonder how many other Tracfone users have had a similar experience.

Feedback Score
    InevGlitch,

Now that you have a micro SD card installed in the phone and know how to backup your contacts, you may want to interface the phone with your home computer.

You can make ringtones on your computer and copy them to the phone's micro SD card.

You can also move pictures from your computer to the phone and use the pictures as wallpaper or to depict a caller in your contacts list.

Beyond the fun stuff, more importantly you'll want to copy the contacts backup file from the phone to your computer. In the event of a catastrophe, the phone and its micro SD card are destroyed or lost, you can restore the phone files from the computer to your new phone.

If your computer supports bluetooth, you can use it to connect the phone to the computer.

If the computer does not support bluetooth, you can use a USB cable. For PC, the computer will see the phone as a removable drive in "My Computer" I'm not sure how the phone would interface with MAC

If you don't have a cable, you can buy one here...
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If your phone is functional Tracfone can ask for Parameters 0 and 30 and determine exactly how many minutes you have remaining on the phone. They have a record of how many minutes were added, they dont know how many of those you have used. They can check with the service provider too see how many minutes that phone has used, but they don`t get an instant answer.

There have been too many reports of full transfer minutes being denied. I suspect they have a suspecion that some of the minutes were gained illegally but may not know for sure, so when you press they give them to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast