Thread: StraigtTalk in Alaska+Lower 48 via ATT network?

Feedback Score

StraigtTalk in Alaska+Lower 48 via ATT network?

I need a pre paid smartphone that I can use with full capability in Alaska and the lower 48 (moving soon south soon). I have been doing some reading and the only ways I can see to go about this is..

1. Go back to Alaska and get a local carrier smartphone off contract and pay for overpriced nationwide unlimited (~100 bucks) that will probably work like crap in the lower 48.

2. Get a crappy LG Thrive Go Phone from ATT and activate the SIM in a better ATT Android phone like an Atrix and pay the 50/month plus the ridiculous data/or just have a pretty dumbphone for 50 month. ATT is the only carrier with decent coverage in Alaska and the lower 48.

3. The most appealing option. Buy a 3G ST phone in the lower 48 (already here), activate, buy a good ATT android phone like an Atrix, Inspire, Desire and put the ST sim in it. I have been reading ST uses ATT so it should work in Alaska I would think when I go back up. I can put in an Alaska zip code on ST's website and it says there is no problem getting a 3G phone.

It seems like I should be able to pull off option no. three, Unlimited everything for $45 on a ATT/unlocked smartphone in Alaska and the lower 48? Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a plan provided you make sure to buy and activate one of the 3 Nokia phones that have the unlocked sim. No other ST phone will sim swap even if it has one.

Feedback Score
    Yah I read I need one of the three 3G capable ST phones (which is obvious if you want to use it with a smartphone anyway).

I am wondering if there will be any problem having full capability/data in AK and the lower 48. I am hopeful since it should be ATT that it will all work w/o a hitch. Having a full capability smartphone w/no contract/unlimited everything for $45 that works in both AK/lower 48 would be like GOLD!! That's half of what you would usually pay up there for the same capability...and that is on contract.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you are buying a Nokia for the unlocked $IM, you should jump on one of the two reconditioned Nokias for $100 directly from ST. Refurbs are reliable and the way to go. I believe they have corrected their problem of including the wrong SIM so that would be one less hassle to straighten out. The E71 is a suprisenly good Smartphone.

Feedback Score
    I would but I am traveling right now so I will need to just go to a wal-mart and buy a new one. Can you switch the SIM back and forth between the ST Nokia and your "better" phone from time to time? Shouldn't be an issue right?

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you happen to over shoot the runway, and REALLY go south - like to Puerto Rico - the phone will work there too. I was on a support call with a fairly knowledgeable tech, so I asked him about that. His response was that you can use the ST service anywhere there is true AT&T service. Previously, they stated you could not use the phone in Hawaii or PR. So, this seems like a good thing to pass along.

Enjoy!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Hubley View Post
    I would but I am traveling right now so I will need to just go to a wal-mart and buy a new one. Can you switch the SIM back and forth between the ST Nokia and your "better" phone from time to time? Shouldn't be an issue right?
    Yes, you can. However the "better" phone will need to either be an AT&T phone, or an unlocked GSM phone. In order to get the data portion to work you will need to manually plug in the data / MMS configuration. You can find that on this forum. Enjoy!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You can move the SIM to a different AT&T based phone as often as you wanted.

Feedback Score
    Awesome! I will try it out soon. Thanks guys.