Thread: HP Veer on Straight talk???

Feedback Score

HP Veer on Straight talk???

Has anyone used a HP Veer (or Pre Plus) on Straight talk? I've never used WebOs in depth enough to know if you can access the config menus and such.

I'm just looking for a reletively simple phone (and cheap now since they are discontinued) for my father and mother.

Also the forum search is giving "server 500" errors or I would have searched for the info myself.

Thanks+

Phone
    Centro
    Carrier
    Straighttalk
    Feedback Score
    I was looking for the same info. I wanted to use the palm pixi with webos.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Doesnt seem very easy to edit the APN:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._data_problems

I assume both of your are/were thinking about taking the SIM from a ST Nokia smartphone and putting it in the Veer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Doesnt seem very easy to edit the APN:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._data_problems

I assume both of your are/were thinking about taking the SIM from a ST Nokia smartphone and putting it in the Veer.
    That sucks... Seems like they would be a good phone to use. Oh well...

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used a Palm Pre Plus on Straight Talk a few months ago; it was very easy to change APN/network settings. Just open the Phone app, click the Phone menu at the top left, hit Preferences, turn on manual settings and type it in.

Here's the same instructions (You'd be using Straighttalk settings, though):
    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Hel...-5/td-p/966793

The only issue I had with that phone was that sometimes (once a day or less) the network connection would give up and I'd have to turn on and off the data connection via settings... dunno if that was just a specific phone issue. Otherwise everything worked fine.

It was difficult to edit APN settings before Palm pushed out the latest webOS updates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I used a Palm Pre Plus on Straight Talk a few months ago; it was very easy to change APN/network settings. Just open the Phone app, click the Phone menu at the top left, hit Preferences, turn on manual settings and type it in.

Here's the same instructions (You'd be using Straighttalk settings, though):
    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Hel...-5/td-p/966793

The only issue I had with that phone was that sometimes (once a day or less) the network connection would give up and I'd have to turn on and off the data connection via settings... dunno if that was just a specific phone issue. Otherwise everything worked fine.

It was difficult to edit APN settings before Palm pushed out the latest webOS updates.
    wow thanks...

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbsux View Post
    wow thanks...
    Have you tried it yet? Veer is pretty cheap on ebay atm and considering purchasing one for ST. After reading on another forum though, there seem to be a lot of complaints saying that the APN settings will not save and revert back.

Anyone successfully use Veer on ST yet?

Feedback Score
    ok, this is very strange. I got my veer today, put the sim in and turned it on. (it wasn't unlocked)

and was expecting to need to enter a unlock code. BUT I didn't have to. It let me create a palm account, and even make phone calls. it had web access as well....

I'm at a loss -- unless the ST SIM was read as a att sim it shouldn't have happened - right?

I didn't try sms (i'll probably have to edit those settings)

BTW what software is it you use to download files to the veer? Webos sdk?

I found this....

http://digitalunlock.com/webos/carrierdb/index.html

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bbsux View Post
    ok, this is very strange. I got my veer today, put the sim in and turned it on. (it wasn't unlocked)

and was expecting to need to enter a unlock code. BUT I didn't have to. It let me create a palm account, and even make phone calls. it had web access as well....

I'm at a loss -- unless the ST SIM was read as a att sim it shouldn't have happened - right?

I didn't try sms (i'll probably have to edit those settings)

BTW what software is it you use to download files to the veer? Webos sdk?

I found this....

http://digitalunlock.com/webos/carrierdb/index.html
    The ST sim cards are just ATT sim cards so its not overly surprising. Suppose its a little odd that data works without changing settings though.

Keep up to date though on how it works. I am tempted to grab one but not too sure yet.

Thx.

Feedback Score
    well sms worked fine, didnt try mms.
    im new to webos so it was a little overwelming, added to the fact the phone is just a little bigger than a matchbook...