Thread: What is the best 'call quality' phone for Virgin Mobile (Canada)?

Feedback Score

Smile What is the best 'call quality' phone for Virgin Mobile (Canada)?

Hi!

I'm currently with Virgin Mobile (Canada), and I have the Samsung Impact phone. My wife keeps telling me
    that no matter where I am, the call quality of my voice is absolutely terrible. The phone is also a touch
    screen phone, which works well in that respect. When I bought it through Future Shop here in Canada through
    the Virgin Mobile 'Tab', it was because I didn't want to be saddled with a three year contract. However,
    with the call quality being so bad, now I'm stuck in having to pay off the phone first, then get another
    phone.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I need to get a new phone, and it has to have good call quality. I'm leaning
    towards a Blackberry, as I've heard that they are good call quality phones. A few of the carriers here in
    Canada are offering the Blackberry 3G (or 9700) for free if I sign up for a three year deal. I really need to
    get a 'no money down' phone right now so I can afford to pay off the old phone. Also, I'm looking for a
    'smaller' phone as I don't like the wide, bulky phones. At this point, I'm also open to other brands besides Blackberry, even an 'android' phone. Please help!

Phone
    BB 9700
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Virgin offers a good selection of smartphones.
    Blackberry, decent call quality/reception awful smartphone.
    Samsung, amazing smartphones, bad reception and antennas
    HTC, no experience with them. They seem like a good all around phone.
    Iphones, call drop king. Awful antenna and call quality. A flock of birds could cause a call drop.

Seems a bit grim, I know. Though you can sell your phone on here or craigslist, see what you can get for it then look for a motorola Atrix 4G. Used or new. Tey can be had for relatively cheap. 350$ for a decent like new model can be found if you look around. Motorolas, like nokias, care about making good antennas with good reception and good call quality. Too boot, it's a fantastic smartphone.

If you look for local deals, you'll most probably find bell locked atrix's. Unlock it and insert your sim, or look for an unlocked version.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by logo View Post
    Virgin offers a good selection of smartphones.
    Blackberry, decent call quality/reception awful smartphone.
    Samsung, amazing smartphones, bad reception and antennas
    HTC, no experience with them. They seem like a good all around phone.
    Iphones, call drop king. Awful antenna and call quality. A flock of birds could cause a call drop.

Seems a bit grim, I know. Though you can sell your phone on here or craigslist, see what you can get for it then look for a motorola Atrix 4G. Used or new. Tey can be had for relatively cheap. 350$ for a decent like new model can be found if you look around. Motorolas, like nokias, care about making good antennas with good reception and good call quality. Too boot, it's a fantastic smartphone.

If you look for local deals, you'll most probably find bell locked atrix's. Unlock it and insert your sim, or look for an unlocked version.

Cheers!
    Hi!

Thanks for the info! I have a few more questions regarding the various models of phones you mentioned. The first is for the Blackberry. Which 'model' of Blackberry would have the 'best' call quality? I have a friend that has the Blackberry Torch, and he's happy all around with the phone, including call quality. I find that the phone itself is 'heavy', even heavier then my Samsung Impact. The 'best' Blackberry that I've heard of that has the best call quality, is one of the older models, the Blackberry 8320, which, I think, was also the first cell phone that had Wi-fi capabilities. Anyway, it's hard to find this model, and the ones that are out there, are still very expensive, even on E-bay. The other model of phone, the iPhone 4, is supposed to have a 'noise cancelling' feature that is supposed to mute the background noise. Right now, that is my wife's biggest complaint about my Samsung Impact. Whether I'm waiting for the bus, or having lunch in the break room at work, my Samsung picks up every little noise in the background! Does the iPhone 4's noise cancelling feature make the phone any better? (If you've had experience with it). Thanks!
    If I could only hear your voice...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sashag View Post
    Hi!

Thanks for the info! I have a few more questions regarding the various models of phones you mentioned. The first is for the Blackberry. Which 'model' of Blackberry would have the 'best' call quality? I have a friend that has the Blackberry Torch, and he's happy all around with the phone, including call quality. I find that the phone itself is 'heavy', even heavier then my Samsung Impact. The 'best' Blackberry that I've heard of that has the best call quality, is one of the older models, the Blackberry 8320, which, I think, was also the first cell phone that had Wi-fi capabilities. Anyway, it's hard to find this model, and the ones that are out there, are still very expensive, even on E-bay. The other model of phone, the iPhone 4, is supposed to have a 'noise cancelling' feature that is supposed to mute the background noise. Right now, that is my wife's biggest complaint about my Samsung Impact. Whether I'm waiting for the bus, or having lunch in the break room at work, my Samsung picks up every little noise in the background! Does the iPhone 4's noise cancelling feature make the phone any better? (If you've had experience with it). Thanks!
    You're referring to dual-microphone noise cancellation. The iPhone 4 has it, among a few Android phones as well (can't recall which ones). The BlackBerry Bold 9790 and Bold 9900, both available from Virgin Mobile Canada, each have dual-mic noise cancellation. My spouse recently bought the 9790 and simply loves it, and I can definitely hear an improvement on my end when I'm on a call with her in noisy places (compared to her old dumb-phone). The 9790 has a similar form-factor to the old 9700/9780 phones but is thinner and has a touchscreen. She looked at the 9900 in-store and found it to be a little too big and heavy. Can't comment on call drops since she mostly uses the phone in good coverage areas.

Both the Bold 9790 and 9900 were just released a few months ago so they're very expensive to purchase outright, unless you're willing to sign up for a term contract.

Edit: Just checked the VMC website and they want $99 for the 9790 on a 3-year term, but Best Buy has it for $0 from Bell or Rogers. If you want to stay with VMC, whatever phone you choose try to negotiate a better deal if you lock in to a contract.

Feedback Score
    Thanks again for all the info ottawa_guy! I've never owned a Blackberry, but I have heard that their phones do have good call quality. Now that you've mentioned the dual-microphone noise cancellation like the iPhone, it's definitely something to think about. The screen size of the Bold 9790 seems to be quite small, but since the trackpad is used by most people anyway, it might not be so bad. And it does have a touch screen like my Impact, although a bit smaller. The battery life appears to be quite good, which is a big bonus, as my Impact's battery life seems to drain away even with minimal talk time. It's great in 'stand-by' mode, but as soon as I start to talk with it, I can see the battery draining away! Anyway, I also just checked with Futureshop, and they only have the Bold 9790 available for 0$ from Bell only, and through Rogers, it's like Virgin - $99/three year term. One last question I have on the Bold 9790 is its 'durability'. Considering how thin it is, I'm afraid that a small drop could make it into a paperweight! Do you know much about its durability? Thanks again for all the help!

Feedback Score
    Well, obviously all phones have much shorter battery life when you're in a call compared to standby. My wife's phone has a good build quality, but she bought an Otter Box hard shell case because she keeps it in her purse.

If you are interested in getting the 9790 (or any other phone from Virgin Mobile), call them up directly and tell them what you can get the phone for at Futureshop / Best Buy / etc. with other carriers (e.g., Rogers). If they're not interested in matching the $0 purchase for 3-year contract, then explain that you're happy to port your number somewhere else.