Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: It's here! Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
    Double check me on this, but I believe Netflix just updated their app to work on any android phone running OS 2.2 and up.
    Well. Looking at the Netflix page in the Market. I would have to say you are correct so long as the app works properly.
    Quote from the Market.
    Get Netflix on all Android 2.2 and 2.3 devices.

Just download this free app and you can instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix.
    So it sounds like the app should work on the Precedent so long as the hardware will process it fast enough.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phone
    Nokia 2600
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keyz16b View Post
    I just came up with another question: Is the NetFlix app available for this phone? If so then how smoothly is the streaming??

I know NetFlix probably isn't an app you want to be using if there is a data cap BUT if Sprint is allowing ST truly unlimited data (throttling cap included) then why not? heheee. Thanks!
    I searched the Android Marketplace, and Netflix does have an app for 2.2, which I have downloaded. I don't have a Netflix account, however, so I haven't tested it yet. I'll get signed up for the free trial and try to get a video done tonight showing how Netflix runs on the Precedent.
    I will say that Youtube videos run fine on the Precedent, if that helps.
    And yes, the Precedent does have wi-fi, so I won't be testing the data cap. :-)

Keith
    Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent Review

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux zbov; U; en) Presto/2.8.149 Version/11.10)

Why is that a data limit with Android? There's no way to control the data usage on Android phone. I 've got sometimes 12 apps running in background by Android OS only and have to force them to close from Settings but some are still running or coming up back.
    Last edited by andyhrn; 09-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    Your sight was very helpful so far.
    We know the Precedent runs on Sprint and it is only on Sprints native network which is the same as what Boost and Virgin Mobile run on. You said the phone has good call quality.

Aside from the questions given so far. I would like to know how well the GPS works on the phone. And the over all stability of the phone.

My Triumph is about to drive me nuts. And I want to dump VM. I am pissed that they knowingly put such a POS phone out there. 300.00 may be peanuts to the CEOs of Sprint/VM and Motorola but for the working people it is a lot of money, and for me to spend 300.00 and get such a unstable brick as what I got. I am not happy at all.

I already use ST for one phone and will give up my phone number and get a new one with ST and the Precedent IF it is a stable phone. The processor, ram, camera etc mean nothing. They are better spec wise than the Optimus V and the OV was a great phone IMO.

So if you could answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it. How stable is the Precedent?
    I won't be playing Angry Birds but my Optimus V played it very smoothly in both video and sound.

Also I would like to ask if you could do weekly updates on how the phone is working.
    Many people who purchased the Triumph had few if any problems with the phone until after a couple weeks. Stability needs to be long term not short term, giving a weekly update would show how the phone is doing over time and would be helpful for many of us in determining whether we are going to buy this phone or not.
    The precedent is not better spec'd than the optimus v. The precedent has a 800mhz single processor. The optimus v has a 600mhz but also has dedicated adreno graphics and data processors where the precedent only has the single 800mhz for every work load. The precedent has a 2mp camera while the V has a 3.2 autofocus. Doesnt have more ram. Screen is smaller. The optimus has been apprasied worls wide and the precedent has scored low reviews from multiple sources.

Sent from my LG-P506 using HowardForums

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux zbov; U; en) Presto/2.8.149 Version/11.10)

Precedent is cripple down version of VM Intercept. At least Intercept has a physical keyboard and better camera. And cost 99$ in Target.
    Last edited by andyhrn; 09-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    That is a good question, however I'm not sure watching Netflix on it would be a good idea.
    The modem speed on the phone is kinda slow and you have a 2 gig limit. It would be very easy to hit or be very near your data cap watching just about any one movie leaving little to no data left over.
    How do we know ST has the same 2GB (roughly) limit on the Precedent? It's possible Sprint isn't as strict with ST about data usage as AT&T is. It could very well be similar but until someone wants to test the limits we won't know for sure.

Phone
    Nokia 2600
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I downloaded the Netflix app and signed up for the free trial. What I found was that the Precedent doesn't run Netflix very well. It has a small case of the stutters, which would almost be OK, but after a couple of minutes the video stops and it says it's buffering. I was able to run the same video using the Netflix app on an iPhone4 and using the Netflix website on my laptop, so I don't think it's that my wi-fi is slow.
    What's interesting, however, is that the Precedent plays YouTube videos with no problems at all.

Keith
    Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy Precedent Review

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Maybe when this phone is rooted we can install WiFi tether and really push data limits to see if it has the same "2gb limit"

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.kelley View Post
    The precedent is not better spec'd than the optimus v. The precedent has a 800mhz single processor. The optimus v has a 600mhz but also has dedicated adreno graphics and data processors where the precedent only has the single 800mhz for every work load. The precedent has a 2mp camera while the V has a 3.2 autofocus. Doesnt have more ram. Screen is smaller. The optimus has been apprasied worls wide and the precedent has scored low reviews from multiple sources.

Sent from my LG-P506 using HowardForums
    Ok. Not trying to knock either phone here. On the whole the precedent is probably comparable to the Optimus V. Don't get me wrong, I think the OV is a great phone, But VM has burned me with the Triumph and I won't buy a new one (Optimus V). I'll try to find something comparable to it on another provider. If that is possible.
    I regret very much selling my OV for the Triumph, and while the Precedent may not be as good as the OV I am trying to have good thoughts for it.
    I remember back when I was considering the OV, There was a member here that was going on about how it was a better phone than what people were giving it credit for. It may have been you. I considered all that member had to say and bought the phone. After buying it I concluded that that member knew exactly what they were talking about because while the specs on paper seemed to make it look like a lesser phone, the OV was in fact a much better phone than the Intercept.
    VMs newest phone IMHO is no winner, and is still bested by the OV. I am hoping that the Precedent is a better/more stable phone than the Triumph.
    It would be fitting/satisfying to buy it at 150.00 and have it run on the same network as VM, have ST get some of the money and have Sprint get less for the same service I was getting with VM and have a better phone.
    I don't know about that just yet which is why I requested weekly updates. So we can see if the Precedent is worth purchasing.
    It is great that Fone-Review has purchased it and is willing to give us his opinion of the phone. He sounds knowledgeable and has given a very informative preview of the phone thus far. I look forward to his forthcoming post to see how this phone does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    How do we know ST has the same 2GB (roughly) limit on the Precedent? It's possible Sprint isn't as strict with ST about data usage as AT&T is. It could very well be similar but until someone wants to test the limits we won't know for sure.
    Truthfully we don't. But I would think that ST contracted with Sprint on the same terms that they have with their other providers to keep things consistent.
    I'm sure we will find out in time what the Sprint limit on this phone is.

Phones
    DROID 3
    DROID X
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I think it is great that Straight Talk is offering both the Nokias and now this Android.
    I never thought I would see the day. The more prepaid options available the better for the consumer.
    One would think that Sprint would have to limit data via Straight Talk for several reasons:
    1. android phones gobble up data
    2. sprint already has Virgin and Boost prepaid (I think Sprint recently said they would slow data down after 2gb. Double check me on this point).
    4. sprint has agreement with Cricket prepaid, allowing cricket to use sprint network (I am not sure if this includes data).
    3. sprint is introducing Iphone which should increase data use.
    Out of necessity, sprint would either have to cap data, slow data down after a certain amount, or risk data issues like ATT has experienced in the past.
    Sorry to digress...
    Back on topic, it will be great for consumers if Straight Talk continues to expand their phone offerings via the sprint network. One would think you could see more smart phones (androids and possibly blackberries) in the future. Though staight tallk seems to carefully limit the amount of phone offerings (which one would think, given the company is prepaid).
    I am on America's Largest and Most Reliable Wireless Network.
    Thank you Page Plus.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    My brother picked this up at a wm this morning in eastern Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, he didn't know it was the sprint network, so it's probably going back I researched a little, but didn't see anything...is it at all possible that there will be a version on AT&T or verizon, or will it be strictly sprint when it comes to this phone?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gba88 View Post
    My brother picked this up at a wm this morning in eastern Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, he didn't know it was the sprint network, so it's probably going back I researched a little, but didn't see anything...is it at all possible that there will be a version on AT&T or verizon, or will it be strictly sprint when it comes to this phone?
    Its unlikely this phone will be available on Verizon or AT&T. The Precedent is a rebranded Sprint Boost Mobile Prevail.

I wouldn't expect to see an Android on ST GSM-A (AT&T) or CDMA-V(erizon) anytime soon.

Sent from my Inspire 4G

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gba88 View Post
    Well, Straight Talk advertised that this phone would be out this month. Keith at Fone-Review has already received his (purchased on line) and now your brother has purchased one at a WalMart store. So it looks like Straight Talk is putting a product out on time for once.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 09-13-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Carrier
    net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Its unlikely this phone will be available on Verizon or AT&T. The Precedent is a rebranded Sprint Boost Mobile Prevail.

I wouldn't expect to see an Android on ST GSM-A (AT&T) or CDMA-V(erizon) anytime soon.

Sent from my Inspire 4G
    That's what I figured. This was in Allentown, PA btw.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast