Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk SIMS in Unlocked Phones & GPS Problems

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk SIMS in Unlocked Phones & GPS Problems

I've tested out the unlocked SIM from the E71 on both the iPhone 3G and a Motorola Atrix. In both cases they worked perfectly except for one issue...the GPS SUCKS.

When wifi is enabled the GPS has no problem whatsoever. But the second I turn it off and try to operate solely off ST's network both phones were unable to zero in on my current location. They could usually narrow it down to about a mile radius which of course is not very helpful.

Has anyone else run into this issue and if so, is there a fix? Aside from going back to the E71 of course (which had absolutely no difficulty finding my current location).

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My personal experience was similar. However, I did find a "fix" for it.
    For the most part all I needed to do was update the phone. Connect the cable to the PC, download the latest software/firmware for the phone. Once I did that the difference was amazing. Night and day difference.
    Get a data cable for your phone (most are universal now) and do the updates. I am sure you will be much better off once that is done....

Phones
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Stolen - iPhone 3G, V620, Krzr, W810i, Dash. Gotta love NY
    MPx 300 *****es!!
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Could be the phones, on my iPhone 4 it's pretty much instant and my speedometer app is dead on when I'm driving. Thinking back to when I had a 3G, I think GPS sucked in that, the 3GS was better IIRC.

Feedback Score
    my unlocked and jailbroken 3gs is 6.15 and doesnt work with no fix from the dev break.

Feedback Score
    please my son is missing im trying to find out if straight talk phones have gps locators on them

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    GPS devices per se do not report their position externally. Only if an application is installed in advance will anyone else know the location of the device. If you cannot make a call to the device, it is likely that the phone is turned off or the battery is dead. Emergency services have the capabilty to query a phone for its location if the phone is turned on and has a signal.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Do you have the APN settings done and your 3g data running, most smartphones have to have the data enabled in order to get a GPS lock and mapping.
    I understand the mapping part but why it needs data enabled to get a GPS lock I don't, it is however the way many phones are set up.
    This is what it sounds like to me that the phones has a bad data connection, it locks quickly when wifi is on, but when it is off almost not at all.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You can disable data completely on your phone and still have working GPS. I have no issues on my Atrix with ST data or with no data. I also use CoPilot GPS app so losing cell connection during a drive is not an issue as the GPS continues to function.

(data on)

(airplane mode, no data, gps on)

All modern phones have a dedicated GPS receiver capable of pin pointing your location down to a few meters without any assistance.

Try this, go to a park (or outdoors) and turn off wifi, turn on GPS, and use an app like "GPS Status" and see if your phone can lock on to GPS. It should take less than 2 minutes.

The reason you get "GPS" on wifi is its using wifi triangulation, not GPS satellites.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    Do you have the APN settings done and your 3g data running, most smartphones have to have the data enabled in order to get a GPS lock and mapping.
    I understand the mapping part but why it needs data enabled to get a GPS lock I don't, it is however the way many phones are set up.
    This is what it sounds like to me that the phones has a bad data connection, it locks quickly when wifi is on, but when it is off almost not at all.
    You don't need internet to get a GPS signal, although it does help to lock it faster.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Many of the lower grade phones do not have the computing power to calculate geographical positions. The work is offloaded to servers operated by the carriers.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Many of the lower grade phones do not have the computing power to calculate geographical positions. The work is offloaded to servers operated by the carriers.

Those phones dont do GPS, they use "A-GPS" or something like it that relies on the cell towers for triangulation.
    In any case, the iPhone 3GS and Atrix both fully support GPS.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You are incorrect. How many times do you have a usable signal from three wireless sites simultaneously? All phones with assisted GPS work the way I described above.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You are incorrect. How many times do you have a usable signal from three wireless sites simultaneously? All phones with assisted GPS work the way I described above.

Maybe you don't get what I'm saying, which is that the Atrix and the iPhone 3GS (among other phones) both have dedicated GPS receiver and don't need to rely on triangulation or network assistance to get a position fix.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    No phones with A-GPS use triangulation. I would expect that a phone such as the Atrix to be able to utilize autonomous GPS as well as A-GPS. Take a look at the Atrix' GPS description on the GSMArena website. It uses A-GPS also, which is more accurate than autonomous GPS alone. Even stand alone GPS devices use ground stations to augment accuracy.
    From GSM Arena for Atrix:
    GPS Yes, with A-GPS support
    Read this article on Assisted GPS to dispel any misconceptions you have:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
    and this article on Wide Area Augmentation Systems:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAAS

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    No phones with A-GPS use triangulation. I would expect that a phone such as the Atrix to be able to utilize autonomous GPS as well as A-GPS. Take a look at the Atrix' GPS description on the GSMArena website. It uses A-GPS also, which is more accurate than autonomous GPS alone. Even stand alone GPS devices use ground stations to augment accuracy.
    From GSM Arena for Atrix:

Read this article on Assisted GPS to dispel any misconceptions you have:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
    and this article on Wide Area Augmentation Systems:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAAS
    Yes, my mistake, my reference to A-GPS is specifically to the mode of operation known as "Mobile Station Assisted (MSA) - In MSA mode A-GPS operation, the A-GPS capable device receives acquisition assistance, reference time and other optional assistance data from the A-GPS server. With the help of the above data, the A-GPS device receives signals from the visible satellites and sends the measurements to the A-GPS server. The A-GPS server calculates the position and sends it back to the A-GPS device."

The iPhone and the Atrix are both fully capable of "Mobile Station Based (MSB) - In MSB mode A-GPS operation, the A-GPS device receives ephemeris, reference location, reference time and other optional assistance data from the A-GPS server. With the help of the above data, the A-GPS device receives signals from the visible satellites and calculates the position."

Android (iOS, Windows Phone, etc) can download a little bit of assistance data to help it get a faster lock on satellites. However this makes no impact on the actual function of the GPS receiver in that its not required to have this assistance data.

So to clarify, the Atrix and iPhone do not need and probably do not use the MSA method of A-GPS. They are both capable of MSB A-GPS albeit that is still not necessary for the GPS receivers in them to get a location fix from GPS satellites. In essence, no network assistance is needed/require by either phones to obtain a GPS coordinate fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast