Thread: Questions about Net10 CDMA phones

Feedback Score

Questions about Net10 CDMA phones

I am currently a StraightTalk user with a Samsung r355c (running on Verizon network) and I am very happy with the service but just found out that Net10 also has similar CDMA phones. Since I don't usually use very many of my monthly minutes on StraightTalk I am thinking Net10 would be cheaper for me. Do these Net10 CDMA phones also run on the same Verizon network with no roaming as Straight Talk? When I search my own zip code it does not show any CDMA phones but when I try 59802 it does. So I can still use these phones, right?
    Also for anyone that has the LG 501c or the Samsung r355c on Net10 how are minutes subtracted? Is it 0.3 or 0.5 units per text message and how are you charged for browser usage?

Thank you very much!

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Well, I can't tell you about the rates for Net10 as I haven't paid much attention to them, I'm primarily on Tracfone which is a different rate structure than Net10. I'm sure someone else will pop-in and give you the info on that soon.

As for coverage, according to many other posts I've read Tracfone and Net10 get the full Verizon coverage where Straight Talk only gets the pre-paid coverage which isn't as good. So your coverage on Net10 will be the same or better. As someone else eloquently put it when buying a phone from Net10/Tracfone, you have your phone selection zip, your phone activation zip, and the shipping zip, mix and match as you please. If you get CDMA coverage with Straight Talk now, you can activate a Net10 CDMA phone. So use the 59802 to bring up the phone you want, add it to your cart, but before checking out make sure you change the shipping zip which will default to 59802 to the correct zip. Or, if they sell the CDMA phone anywhere around you just pick one up at the store. I order my Net10 and Tracfones using BigCrumbs.com to get 24% cash back deposited to my Pay-pal account, check it out (http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/sear...acfone&x=0&y=0).

Are you going to port your number or just get a new one?

Side note: View the Straight Talk CDMA coverage (http://www.straighttalk.com/Coverage) and you can compare it to Net10 coverage (http://www.net10.com/jsplib/verify_mapcov.jsp and use the 59802 zip so it shows the CDMA coverage).
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 09-13-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermboy608 View Post
    I am currently a StraightTalk user with a Samsung r355c ... but just found out that Net10 also has similar CDMA phones. I am thinking Net10 would be cheaper for me. Also for anyone that has the LG 501c or the Samsung r355c on Net10 how are minutes subtracted? Is it 0.3 or 0.5 units per text message? Thank you very much!
    The Net10 Samsung R355c charges 0.25 units per text. Don't know about data.

The LG501c doesn't have a microSD card or MP3 player, no video recorder and perhaps not even bluetooth file transfer, just bluetooth headset. It might be a comedown for you compared to the Sam R355c.
    Last edited by annepani; 09-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for the help! That does answer most of my questions. That is very interesting that Verizon coverage through Net10 and Tracfone includes the roaming... definitely a plus! I wonder why that is? I have had Tracfone many years in the past and just switched to StraightTalk a little less than 2 years ago, so I know quite a bit about them, but this is new! How long have they offered CDMA phones for Tracfone/Net10?

I would definitely plan on porting my number over since I have had this number for over 5 years now, but I'm guessing that should be a pretty easy port. Also thank you for the tip about Bigcrumbs! I am a member there but never realized they offered cashback for Trac/Net10!

I do very much like my current Samsung r355c on ST, but was curious about the LG because I heard you can actually download apps on it. But based on all of the other features compared to the Samsung it definitely sounds like a downgrade. Any other recommendations about the LG 501c vs. Samsung r355c to help me decide??
    Also does anyone know for sure how much the LG charges per text on Net10 and also how data is subtracted on both phones for internet? This information is not really spelled out on Net10's website that I can find anywhere.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I do very much like my current Samsung r355c on ST, but was curious about the LG because I heard you can actually download apps on it. But based on all of the other features compared to the Samsung it definitely sounds like a downgrade. Any other recommendations about the LG 501c vs. Samsung r355c to help me decide??
    Stay with the R355C model, the LG501C is a big downgrade. I have the 501C on Tracfone, it's good for texting, phone calls, and I have a few Java apps running on it (Bolt browser, Opera Mini browser, GMail email app, haven't tried any games). But, there is no video like annepani pointed out, no MP3 player, the camera is only a VGA (.3 MP), and no file transfer via Bluetooth nor cable, and no memory card. The only way to put personal wallpaper or ringtones on it is to send them via MMS which compresses the heck out of the ringtones (my 300K compressed to 32K and sounds horrible), or you can buy them from Net10 for $$. Of course, if all you want is a good phone that texts and runs a couple Java apps, and you don't care about personalizing it much the LG501C might be for you.

Also does anyone know for sure how much the LG charges per text on Net10 and also how data is subtracted on both phones for internet? This information is not really spelled out on Net10's website that I can find anywhere.
    It depends on how you buy your minutes go here https://www.net10.com/direct/Purchas...=NET10&lang=en
    and click to zoom in on the cards, they list how many minutes or texts you can get purchasing that card. The monthly cards are probably the better deal. I can't tell you what the internet data rate is, that might be in tiny print on the cards you buy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    Stay with the R355C model, the LG501C is a big downgrade. I have the 501C on Tracfone, it's good for texting, phone calls, and I have a few Java apps running on it (Bolt browser, Opera Mini browser, GMail email app, haven't tried any games). But, there is no video like annepani pointed out, no MP3 player, the camera is only a VGA (.3 MP), and no file transfer via Bluetooth nor cable, and no memory card. The only way to put personal wallpaper or ringtones on it is to send them via MMS which compresses the heck out of the ringtones (my 300K compressed to 32K and sounds horrible), or you can buy them from Net10 for $$. Of course, if all you want is a good phone that texts and runs a couple Java apps, and you don't care about personalizing it much the LG501C might be for you.
    Well actually there is no video on the Samsung either, but that's not a big deal for me.
    I actually went ahead and bought the Samsung r355c model tonight on eBay. Brand new sealed for $30 from a power seller! Free expedited shipping as well! There are still several available from that seller if anyone else is interested. Just make an offer for $30 like I did and hopefully it can be yours as well!

Feedback Score
    I actually went ahead and bought the Samsung r355c model tonight on eBay. Brand new sealed for $30 from a power seller! Free expedited shipping as well! There are still several available from that seller if anyone else is interested. Just make an offer for $30 like I did and hopefully it can be yours as well!
    You were wise to choose it over the LG 501c. Glad to be of help.