Thread: What is a Clone Phone? Mod?

Feedback Score

What is a Clone Phone? Mod?

Look, I hope this does not get me booted out of here. Ever other post someone talks about that is a clone phone or the other thing is. Amateurs like myself read these forms and don't know what a clone phone is. What is it? I would have to assume that it is against federal law because I read it here (although I never looked up the law). Until it is explained, all I can assume is it's putting two phones in a room until they have a freak of a phone child. So, if deathtrip or someone else could please let us amateurs in on what a clone phone is, and why don't the cell phone companies like them. Can you buy one or do you get one in another county? I would appreciate it. Please don't tell me to do a search because I should just call Sprint and ask them what one is. Also, what is a Mod? That keeps coming up; Mod this and Mod that.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    A cloned phone is where you take 2 phones and make them both appear to the system as 1 phone.

Phone A = Samsung Incognito
    Phone B = HTC Evo

You have Phone A active on your account, but you want to use Phone B. If the provider will not authorize Phone B to be used on the account, you copy some information from Phone A and put it on Phone B, one being the phone's unique electronic serial number.

By doing so, Phone B is still the better of the two, but works as if it was Phone A.

It has been in and out of federal court multiple times since 1990 and according to the FBI and FCC, it's still considered unlawful to change the serial number on a cell phone, and it is NOT covered by or under the DMCA.

That's pretty much most of it and much more than that isn't tolerated on the forums.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that clears up a lot! By the way, what is a Mod? or is that just an acronym for something. Module? Modification?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, on the forums, Mod usually refers to a moderator, someone who monitors over the posts, users, etc.

Feedback Score
    Thanks that clears up a lot. Martin would you please close this thread and post this as a sticky, please. Some amateur (like myself) might think they need to clone a phone so they can get boost service. There is a difference between a SWAP and CLONING A PHONE.

Feedback Score
    You need to PM him to close the thread.

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06 via HowardForums app

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I thought regular members could close their own topics... I've been a mod long enough to have forgot if regulars can or not.

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    I've said before that there should be some kind of warning stickied that explains why it's a bad idea to buy a "flashed to Boost" Android phone. You don't want "your Incognito" ending up on eBay, with a Page Plus/Cricket/MetroPCS PRL. Because it is trivial for someone to put the Boost PRL back and totally eff up your nice shiny new "not allowed on Boost" phone. And oh yeah, that happens.

Incognitos love living in drawers and closets. Keep your Incognito happy and it will treat you well. :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    I've said before that there should be some kind of warning stickied that explains why it's a bad idea to buy a "flashed to Boost" Android phone. You don't want "your Incognito" ending up on eBay, with a Page Plus/Cricket/MetroPCS PRL. Because it is trivial for someone to put the Boost PRL back and totally eff up your nice shiny new "not allowed on Boost" phone. And oh yeah, that happens.

Incognitos love living in drawers and closets. Keep your Incognito happy and it will treat you well. :-)
    Why? Dude you know they have no business messing with that if they don't know the repercussions of their actions.....to wit... if their evo,epic,other non allowed device becomes a brick, they deserve it.
    Edit- George Carlin once said " Whoever coined the phrase "Buyer beware" was likely bleeding from the *******."

Sent from my ppcT7380 Ti/FRX06 via HowardForums app

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread closed. We have stickies that explain the rules. Creating another sticky just puts one more thread up there that makes the others easier to glance over.

Become a Premium Member
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.