Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung t404g App install

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Samsung t404g App install

I just purchased a t404g through Tracfone. The specs on the phone say that it is "app compatible". However I can't seem to figure out how to install any new apps to the phone. I have a EX124G, and installing apps to it is easy, put the .jar file on your phone and point the java installer at it. The Samsung doesn't seem to have such an installer, and it wants you to go online through the Tracfone store to purchase apps to download. Tracfone's ridiculous data rates aside, I don't want any of the sad games, or apps they offer. Any help or advise would be great!

Phone
    LG Extravert
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can you check email on the T404g? Like a comcast.net account?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Joseph Gattuso,

If you want Bolt browser on your phone, and to check if you can install apps directly off the web, type this address in your native browser and let it install: http://boltbrowser.com/bolts2.jad

As for installing other apps, have you tried Bluetoothing the jar files from your PC to the phone? If you Bluetooth them the phone puts them in the right folder to launch/install them from. On one of my Tracfones if you put the wrong type of file in a location it didn't want it, it wouldn't be visible when searching for it on the phone but you could still find it when using the data cable from your PC and browsing the phones directories. Hope some of that helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gattuso View Post
    I just purchased a t404g through Tracfone. The specs on the phone say that it is "app compatible". However I can't seem to figure out how to install any new apps to the phone. I have a EX124G, and installing apps to it is easy, put the .jar file on your phone and point the java installer at it. The Samsung doesn't seem to have such an installer, and it wants you to go online through the Tracfone store to purchase apps to download. Tracfone's ridiculous data rates aside, I don't want any of the sad games, or apps they offer. Any help or advise would be great!

How do you like so far the t404g ? is the quality of calls good ? also does is crash ofter ? of has any bugs ?
    I am thinking of buying it
    thank for your time

Feedback Score
    Take a look at best buy 404 net10 for $30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh131 View Post
    Take a look at best buy 404 net10 for $30.
    The Tracfone version of this phone is available only through tracfone.com and costs $60. If you get the 24% off from bigcrumbs ($15) it is still $45. Much more expensive than the Net10 version.
    Last edited by annepani; 09-15-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    well, sort of. you are linked into tracfone's internet, so whatever sites they let you go to you can use. I have had no problems with hotmail, gmail, or yahoo. I would hope that you could check a comcast account too.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    hmm...not really looking for a browser, but I'll give it a look anyway. As far as bluetooth goes, thats how I've been getting the files onto it. the data/charge cable I got seems to work great for charging, but my computer does not recognize it as a mass storage device....meaning I can't just look at the files and move them around as I see fit. as for the file location, I will have to see if there are other locations I could put them into. right now I am able to browse to the file using the phone but it just doesn't seem to know what to do with them.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    so far I like it a lot. texting is easy, call quality is a lot better than I expected. (my last phone was a W376g) and after a few days of using it a LOT it has not crashed.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gattuso View Post
    the data/charge cable I got seems to work great for charging, but my computer does not recognize it as a mass storage device....meaning I can't just look at the files and move them around as I see fit.
    Joseph Gattuso,
    Are you sure it's a data/charge cable and not just a charging cable? If it definitely is a data capable cable do you have a memory card installed? Some of the phones only get recognized as a removable storage device by the computer when a memory card is installed in the phone.

FYI: This is from the Net10 manual for your phone (set it to Mass Storage and then check your cable again):
    http://www.net10.com/Common/English/...sets/15184.pdf
    USB Mode
    1. In Idle mode, press Menu ➔ Settings ➔ Phone Settings ➔ USB Mode.
    2. Highlight your selection, Modem or Mass Storage, and press Save.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    BobbyLee, you are awesome! yes, it is a data cable, and after I changed the oh so wonderful modem/mass storage setting, to mass storage I can now plug it into my computer and see the files. but only the files that are on the sd card, not the phone. which brings me back to square one. not being able to install this darned app. however, I can now put music on it much faster than with the blue tooth.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post

If you want Bolt browser on your phone, and to check if you can install apps directly off the web, type this address in your native browser and let it install: http://boltbrowser.com/bolts2.jad
    Joseph Gattuso,
    Did you try this suggestion just to see if it will install an app directly from the web and also to find out when you've installed an app where it puts the actual program you launch? The programs should be located in the Games or Apps under the Games&Apps directory after you install them.

You could try to transfer a jar app file from your computer to the memory card, then browse to it and try to run it to see if you can install an app that way.

My Samsung phones are the same way, they let you access the memory card files but nothing on the phone.

Feedback Score
    You should take a look at Samsung PC Studio Ver 1.5.1 you will be able save and modify & add contacts with your computer.Make sure that the phone is set up to store contacts to phone and not from sims or you will get double contacts on your phone.You will also be able to extract pictures as long as they are NOT on your SD card.I think you can also print out masages and transfer music.Have fun.

The later verisons of PC Studio do not work.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    Joseph Gattuso,
    Did you try this suggestion just to see if it will install an app directly from the web and also to find out when you've installed an app where it puts the actual program you launch? The programs should be located in the Games or Apps under the Games&Apps directory after you install them.

You could try to transfer a jar app file from your computer to the memory card, then browse to it and try to run it to see if you can install an app that way.

My Samsung phones are the same way, they let you access the memory card files but nothing on the phone.
    I did try it. I was able to download it, and was able to install it, however it does not seem to work with my phone. it goes to the green "bolt" screen and hangs. I am able to close it only by pressing the "end" key. although the phone shows that it has been downloaded into the 'games and apps' folder, but I am unable to move or copy any other files into this folder. I currently have a few files on the memory card, but cannot run them.
    I never said it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ok, so tried Samsung PC Studio Ver 1.5.1 it's an interesting little program, but I don't like it....just feels funny. going to keep it though because using it I can gain access to the files that are on the phone....you set the USB mode to modem, and PC studio will recognize the phone, but not the the storage card. however, even with the access to the phones memory, I still cannot see where it saved the boltbrowser file.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast