Thread: Downloading games / apps for the LG500G without using minutes?

Feedback Score

Downloading games / apps for the LG500G without using minutes?

I bought the LG500G for my son, who would like to play games without having to connect to the internet and use up his minutes. So he bought a 2GB SD card with an adapter and a card reader so we could download free games (like JAR files) from the internet and transfer them to the SD card and from there to the cell phone. We downloaded a Tetris game from Mobilerated and installed it, but when he launched the game, the phone connected to the internet and docked minutes anyway. That does not make sense to me. Isn't the whole point of downloading files to a PC and transferring them to the phone to avoid connecting to the internet with the phone? Is there any way to find and load games to the cell phone without having to access the net and lose minutes in order to play the games?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Next time you try out a game transfer the jar file to the phone and then put the phone in Airplane mode and deny any attempts by the program to access the internet or to turn-off Airplane mode and see if it runs/installs without the internet. A lot of the games will run without internet but some want to connect for various reasons, to actually get the game program somewhere on the internet the first time, to log your phone as a user, to make you consent to some agreement, whatever the game author wants. Most of my games accessed the internet for 'some reason' when I first installed them but now they're on the phone and don't request internet access anymore. So, if you don't want to pay any minutes only install games you can install and then run with the phone in Airplane mode, if they don't request access to the internet they probably won't when you aren't in Airplane mode. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score

Thanks!

Thanks so much! I put it in Airplane mode as you suggested and re-tried Tetris, and it didn't subtract any minutes. We'll have to try some other games too. Thanks for your help! My son will be very pleased.