Thread: Why does my tbolt gps need WiFi?

Feedback Score

Why does my tbolt gps need WiFi?

Been researching this for a bit. Anyone know why my tbolt gps is so inaccurate? With WiFi enabled, the gps seems to be very accurate, but that seems to be a waste of battery life and I don't understand the need for that. Google maps asks for the WiFi to be enabled when you open it which would suggest they are supposed to work together, but with plenty of other phones which have accurate standalone gps functionality, am wondering if my gps is bad or that's the way its designed? Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using TapaTalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Are you indoors at the time? Many phones use a database of Wi-Fi access point locations to determine your position when there is no available GPS signal. Additionally, the Google Maps are downloaded as needed.
    You need an active mobile data or Wi-Fi connection to use Google Maps.
    To find your location with Google Maps, you need to enable location sources. To learn how, see “Turning on location services” in this chapter.
    The Google Maps application does not cover every country or city.
    Last edited by efparri; 09-20-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Now that you mention it, I have only tried the gps when indoors. Sorry for the noob question but does that generally make a difference?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The GPS signal from the satellites is blocked by structures and even leaves on trees. You must have a clear view of the sky so that at least four satellites are available to determine your location. If you are on the upper floor of a building without a metal or concrete roof, you may be able to receive a position lock.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also, do you have location services turned off in your settings? The phone will use these services to help narrow/pinpoint your location.

Feedback Score
    I've experimented with both Google and vzw location services being on but that has never seemed to help improve gps performance.... But am wondering if its as simple as it needs to be outside to be accurate (without WiFi being enabled, I mean).

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ever since I've used GPS Status, I've had no issues. GPS locks in about 5 seconds, usually.

Feedback Score
    OK, it's official. I'm a moron. Got home from work, stepped outside with my GPS and VZW and Google location services on. Using GPS test, I immediately found 8 sattelites and google maps put me within 15 feet of my front steps.... all with no wifi. Thanks all for the help.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steve6387 View Post
    I've experimented with both Google and vzw location services being on but that has never seemed to help improve gps performance.... But am wondering if its as simple as it needs to be outside to be accurate (without WiFi being enabled, I mean).

I believe the phone uses the location services to get a quicker GPS lock. Also, the Verizon location service (I believe that is the one) is needed in order to locate you for the weather in the clock/weather widget.

Feedback Score
    Ok so now that u guys set me straight.... How much difference in the battery life could I expect by leaving gps and VZW and Google services on? I rarely use the gps but having accurate weather info and etc would be nice. Do you all leave these services on and why? Maybe that should b a new thread.
    Thanks again all.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steve6387 View Post
    Ok so now that u guys set me straight.... How much difference in the battery life could I expect by leaving gps and VZW and Google services on? I rarely use the gps but having accurate weather info and etc would be nice. Do you all leave these services on and why? Maybe that should b a new thread.
    Thanks again all.

I leave GPS and location services on, bluetooth on, and I also leave the display brightness on automatic. I am not so nit-picky about wanting to stretch every last minute out of my battery before recharging like some folks do, so I don't bother trying to maximize my battery. I have the extended battery and am pretty much always near my computer (to plug the phone into USB to charge), my car (to use the car charger) or my home (to use the home charger) so I simply plug it in to top off the phone when I need to. This was the same case when I was using the standard battery as well.

Feedback Score
    I almost never turn on gps and never have a problem w/the HTC widgets placing me in the correct city for weather.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The GPS chip is always on whether you use an application or not. Some applications use location based services by default.