Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free wifi hotspot using quicksettings app is over.... on optimus V

Feedback Score

Free wifi hotspot using quicksettings app is over.... on optimus V

Well I had to replace my phone cause mine was acting up, so I called virgin and they sent me a new phone, Optimus V when I received everything is fine, everything seems to be normal, I downloaded all the apps I had on my previous phone, but when I tried to use the wifi hotspot..... it doesn't work anymore! when I turn "wifi hotspot" on, it turns the 3G data off and then I get a message "network not available" I tried over and over but no luck, so I guess they know about and they fixed it?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like it. If you're into rooting, you might want to root and see if you can "downgrade" your Android version to a gentler, better time... a time with hotspot tethering

I haven't checked it out because I no longer have an Optimus, but there should be some threads about it on sdx- or xda-developers.

Feedback Score
    I don't really use the hotspot often, may be once a month? its nice to have it there when you need it tho, that day I needed it and couldn't use it :/

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    This has been talked about enough. Do a search. It involves the OS version. I bet your running 2.2.2. If so, ur up a creek.

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Ion AWS HSPA + LTE
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Xda is your friends and they even have OV Android development section.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Root and install Barnacle. Problem solved.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Root and install Barnacle. Problem solved.
    No other tethering app allows infrastructure mode tethering. Which means that you can't tether one Android device to another...unless you applied some patch I don't even understand. In. which case, please tell me about it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Its ok guys, not a big deal to me. I can leave without the hotspot I was just wondering what happened

Feedback Score
    just root and run a custom rom or the downgraded version

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Root and install the Harmonia 1.6 ROM. Faster, better battery life, more user storage, and get your tethering back too. Its really not as hard as it sounds.

Sent via VM670
    GS3 T999 on T-Mobile

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I still use mine. But I have an OG optimus from when it first came out. I moved on to att but keep my optimus specifically to tether

sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MatisMarley View Post
    I still use mine. But I have an OG optimus from when it first came out. I moved on to att but keep my optimus specifically to tether

sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G
    A $25/month Mifi that also happens to be a phone is a pretty sweet deal for sure.

Sent via VM670

Phone
    There is not enough space here to list them all!
    Carrier
    Tmobile, FreedomPop, and TextNow
    Feedback Score
    i found out this morning too that it didn't work - much to my disappointment - this is the only reason i bought another - i guess i could root though - and if i root - would that just open up the settings like they were previously?

hmmmm 2.2.2? interesting observation.

mine shows 2.2.2 - and it's new - i just got it last week - however.....i have another at home i will have to check the version - then it's as simple as getting the OS off the old one and onto the new one (yeah, simple? RIIIIIGHT!!!!)
    providing my old one is a lesser OS than 2.2.2 how can i make absolutely sure that it never receives an update.
    (i will have to wait another month to actually test the wifi hotspot on my old phone, as i just put airtime on this one yesterday - and i am round robining my 3 accounts to keep them all active - thank god for Google Voice!!!)

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zarraza View Post
    i found out this morning too that it didn't work - much to my disappointment - this is the only reason i bought another - i guess i could root though - and if i root - would that just open up the settings like they were previously?

hmmmm 2.2.2? interesting observation.

mine shows 2.2.2 - and it's new - i just got it last week - however.....i have another at home i will have to check the version - then it's as simple as getting the OS off the old one and onto the new one (yeah, simple? RIIIIIGHT!!!!)
    providing my old one is a lesser OS than 2.2.2 how can i make absolutely sure that it never receives an update.
    (i will have to wait another month to actually test the wifi hotspot on my old phone, as i just put airtime on this one yesterday - and i am round robining my 3 accounts to keep them all active - thank god for Google Voice!!!)
    Maybe it's not the operating system, just whatever VM did to it. And no, you don't even need to root. The procedure looks something like this:

1) Install custom recovery on both phones
    2) make a backup of the phone that works
    3) (optional) put it on a filesharing site, like flashmirrors.com, and share!
    4) Either swap SD cards from old to new phones, or make a copy of whatever folder contains the backup.
    5) Use Advanced Restore to restore just the boot image, system, etc... leave Data alone unless you really want to lose all your apps/settings for them.

Phone
    There is not enough space here to list them all!
    Carrier
    Tmobile, FreedomPop, and TextNow
    Feedback Score
    Awesome info.......I did find that my old one has 2.2.1.
    I would "file share" it but not sure about all my personal info being n the download

Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Maybe it's not the operating system, just whatever VM did to it. And no, you don't even need to root. The procedure looks something like this:

1) Install custom recovery on both phones
    2) make a backup of the phone that works
    3) (optional) put it on a filesharing site, like flashmirrors.com, and share!
    4) Either swap SD cards from old to new phones, or make a copy of whatever folder contains the backup.
    5) Use Advanced Restore to restore just the boot image, system, etc... leave Data alone unless you really want to lose all your apps/settings for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast