Thread: what number your Tracfone dials for voicemail

Feedback Score

what number your Tracfone dials for voicemail

I seem to remember reading something about this a few years ago, but is there a way to find out what number your Tracfone dials to access your voicemail? I know you can access your voicemail from another phone by dialing your Tracfone number and pressing * when the voicemail announcement starts, I'm just curious about the mailbox number.

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a5253628 View Post
    I seem to remember reading something about this a few years ago, but is there a way to find out what number your Tracfone dials to access your voicemail?
    a5253628,
    Yes, but I'm not sure why you would want it. Hit your speed dial #1 and it might display the number on the screen when it calls your voicemail, if not check the recent call log or dialed calls to see the number that it dialed to go to voicemail. Or, on some phones you can check to see what numbers are stored for each speed dial, check and see what number is stored for #1.

On all my GSM phones, and they have different phone numbers, they all call the 'same' regional/semi-local number +14802252975 when I speed dial #1 (your area probably uses a different access number unless you live in my region of the country) and it sends me to the correct mailbox based on the phone I'm calling from. On my CDMA phones they all dial the *86 which does the same as the GSM regional/semi-local number for the CDMA network. I answered your question, those are the numbers my phones dial to access voicemail but I'm sure thats not what you're interested in. What are you trying to do with it? Are you trying to use GSM codes to redirect calls destined for your voicemail or something else?

FYI: If I call the GSM number +14802252975 from my CDMA phone it answers with "Welcome to AT&T voicemail, to access your voicemail we need more information ......".
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 09-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

I was just asking out of curiosity. How did you find out that that was the number being dialed by your phones?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    I press #1 and hold it so it speed dials my voicemail. On some of my phones it actually shows the number it's calling, others just say Calling Voicemail. If it says Calling Voicemail I can go into the recently dialed calls, highlight the one that says Voicemail, and have it display the details which includes the number. On one of my phones I can bring up the Speed Dial list and see what phone number is stored for each speed dial number and the one for Speed Dial #1 (the Voicemail key) is that number.

Phone
    Moto W260G, LG420G, LG500G, LG600G, LG900G, Optimus V
    Carrier
    Tracfone Virgin
    Feedback Score
    ...Trying to add to that, but can't I just ranged all the parameter codes in my phone and my voice mail number is not in there, like I thought it was. T-mobile voice mail on one of my Tracfones is +1-805-637-7243.

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity; what happens if you just call your own cellphone number? That is how I get to my voice mailbox.

Have a Magical Day!

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
    Out of curiosity; what happens if you just call your own cellphone number? That is how I get to my voice mailbox.
    Good question, I never bothered dialing the cellphone number from the same phone since I just used the voicemail speed dial. On the GSM LG900G w/ATT SIM it automatically connects me with my voicemail (no PIN required) and says "You have no messages" (no friends so no messages). On my CDMA LG231C it connects me to the voicemail but says "Please enter your password". I'll stick with the #1 speed dials, less keys to enter, the CDMA still wants a password. I can't tell you how it works with a T-Mobile SIM.

Feedback Score
    Interesting.

I too have the AT&T SIM but have not had to put in a password in many years; whether I dialed my phone number myself or used the voice mail button.

I do recall that I had to with my first TF, a Nokia 1100 I think it was, about 10 years back. When TF finally got a flip phone, a Motorola, it might have been the 170, I switched to that & I think a PW might have been needed there too. Then I had some 370's and 376's (yeah, I am really hard on phones); I know the 376 didn't need one and I am pretty sure the 370 didn't either.

I thought that it had been a change in the carriers VM service, but maybe not.

Have a Magical Day

Feedback Score
    I rated the thread 5 stars because of BobbyLee's informative answer, but someone seems to be reducing most of these threads to 3 stars, lol.

Feedback Score

RE: Entering your voicemail password automatically as a touchtone sequence

On my CDMA LG231C it connects me to the voicemail but says "Please enter your password".
    I found this info in a Nokia 3585i manual. It relates to sending the voicemail password automatically as part of the call. This might apply to any Page Plus or Verizon phone using Verizon’s CDMA based mobile service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    STORE YOUR VOICE MAILBOX NUMBER
    Before you can retrieve any voice messages, you need to store your voice mailbox number in your phone:
    1: Press Menu 01-2-3 (Messages > Voice messages > Voice mailbox number).
    2: Enter your voice mailbox phone number, then press OK.
    Your voice mailbox number can be up to 32 digits long.

Note: If your phone number changes, you may need to re-enter your voice mailbox number.

Tip: You can store your voice mailbox password and/or PIN number as a part of your voice mailbox number.

For more information, please see "Save touch tones as a phone book entry" on page 49.

(Skip to page 49)

USE TOUCH TONES
    Touch tones (sometimes known as DTMF tones) are those tones produced when you press the keys on your phone’s keypad. You can use touch tones for many automated dial-up services such as banking and airlines, or for entering your voice mailbox number and password. Touch tones are sent during an active call. You can send them manually from your phone’s keypad, or send them automatically by saving them in your phone.

Set manual touch tone options
    You may need to customize how your phone sends the touch tones for optimum performance with the system you’re calling.

SET TOUCH TONE TYPE
    1: Press Menu 4-2-2-1 (Settings > Phone settings > Touch tones > Manual touch tones).
    2: Select one of the following options, then press Select:

SET FIXED TOUCH TONE LENGTH
    You can also specify touch tone length when using the Fixed option.
    1: Press Menu 4-2-2-2 (Settings > Phone settings > Touch tones > Touch tone length).
    2: Scroll to Short (0.1 seconds) or Long (0.5 seconds), then press Select.
    Send touch tone string manually

Before you begin, make sure that Manual touch tones is not set to Off.
    1: During a call to the automated service, press Options, scroll to Touch tones and press Select.
    2: Enter the touch tone string from your phone’s keypad as required by the service you’re calling, then press Tones.

Send touch tone string from phone book
    You can save a touch tone string as a separate phone book entry, then recall and send the string using the in-call menu option Touch tones.

SAVE TOUCH TONES AS A PHONE BOOK ENTRY
    Save the touch tone string (including any pause or wait characters that may be required) to a new entry in the phone book. For more information on saving names and number to your phone book see “Save Contacts and numbers” on page 19.

RECALL TOUCH TONE STRING FROM THE PHONE BOOK
    1: During a call to the automated service, press Options, scroll to Touch tones and press Select.
    2: Press Search, scroll to the touch tone string entry in your phone book, then press OK.
    3: Press Tones to send the touch tones.

Store touch tone string with phone number
    You can store touch tone strings (for example: voice mailbox number and PIN code) as a part of a phone book entry. Once the string is stored, it is sent automatically (instead of entering the touch tones from the keypad).

1: Enter the phone number of the automated service.
    2: Use the star key to enter a w or p after the number. -As so:

w (wait) - The phone waits for you to press “Send” (This may be presented as a choice on a context menu button). When you press “Send“, the phone sends the touch tone string you’ve saved. (This option seems to works best for me with standard pre-call voice announcement turned on. It requires hitting just one key at the password entry invitation).

p (pause) - The phone pauses for 2.5 seconds, then automatically sends the touch tone string you’ve saved. (This timing may run afowl of the standard pre-call voice announcement for account balance info, -which takes a couple of seconds before the call is connected, -so timing adjustment might be necessary. -Or you can call Page Plus and have a CS tech manually disable the pre-call voice announcement feature).

3: Enter the touch tone string after the w or p characters as required by the service.

Example: 214-555-1234w1234#p5678#
    Reads as 214-555-1234 (w -wait for you to hit “send”) then send 1234#p5678#
    Reads as 214-555-1234 (w -wait for you to hit “send”) then send (1234 -the mailbox number, if necessary)(# -end of string input delimiter)(p -pause 2.5 seconds)(5678 -the voicemail password)(# -end of string input delimiter)

4: Save this phone book entry as you normally would.

Once the touch tone string is stored with the phone number, you can now call the number and have the touch tone strings sent automatically.

My own Page Plus CDMA phone works best with this sequence:
    Example: 214-555-1234w(my voicemail password)#

This dials my voicemail (in this case my mobile number), then (w) -waits for me to press the "Send" button on the context menu to send the password and # -end of string input marker.

You can also try the p (pause feature) instead of w, -which might require some tweaking to get the exact timing right.