Thread: LG Optimus V 2.3 OS update with out root???

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

LG Optimus V 2.3 OS update with out root???

Hi all,
    My question to you all is if there is a way to update the 2.2 OS to the 2.3 OS with out needed to root my phone???

Just like there was a update released for the intercept from 2.1 OS to 2.2 OS before virgin mobile really released the official update!

If some one got something please be so kind and post it here!

Thanks,

Sent from my VM670 using HowardForums
    Well just follow me on twitter @CoffeeRoomNews you will enjoy it!!!

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not really, no... there will be resources further along to tell people how to upgrade their phones if they have already rooted, but...

for now, the only way to receive an upgrade without any of that fancy work is simply to get lucky, and perhaps to keep your phone on a steady data connection at all times.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    So basically I will need to wait till virgin mobile is sending OTA (Over The Air)???

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Precisely... sad but true.

And given wtfever's going on with Sprint, I wouldn't worry about 2.3 too much right now. Better to NOT be updated...

Feedback Score
    There is hope. Some Optimus Ones, the LG base phone which became the Optimus V (and C, M, S, T, U), have gotten an official update. A couple weeks ago, the Gingerbread update for the LG Optimus S (as in Sprint) was issued.

It's just a matter of VM putting in or taking out whatever VM wants from Gingerbread. The bad news is that one of the things that will be taken out, probably, is tethering.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S III T999
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a friend with the Optimus S on Sprint who just got the 2.3 update. He hates it (experiencing a lot of bugs and weirdness) and wishes he could go back to Froyo.

I on the other hand have tried an IHO/CM7 ROM, which is 2.3.5, and it works great. Rooting really isn't that hard or scary. Certainly beats waiting around for an update that may never come. And if it does, it might make your phone worse off than it is now... with no way to go back to what you had.

Sent via VM670
    GS3 T999 on T-Mobile

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
    I have a friend with the Optimus S on Sprint who just got the 2.3 update. He hates it (experiencing a lot of bugs and weirdness) and wishes he could go back to Froyo.

I on the other hand have tried an IHO/CM7 ROM, which is 2.3.5, and it works great. Rooting really isn't that hard or scary. Certainly beats waiting around for an update that may never come. And if it does, it might make your phone worse off than it is now... with no way to go back to what you had.

Sent via VM670
    So could you please send me all links and full instructions how,I could do it????

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatNews View Post
    So could you please send me all links and full instructions how,I could do it????

Go to the Optimus V forums on Android Central. Lots of tutorials and helpful info there.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/vir...ile-optimus-v/

Sent via VM670

Feedback Score
    Your friend isn't the only one. Sprint has apparently stopped the update because of the problems it created. Creating an update to a new version of Android is not a foolproof process.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Op...ported_id22475

This is off the Optimus V topic but if your friend doesn't know, Sprint has published some workarounds for the issues.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/338455#338455

Phones
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HildyJ View Post
    Your friend isn't the only one. Sprint has apparently stopped the update because of the problems it created. Creating an update to a new version of Android is not a foolproof process.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-Op...ported_id22475

This is off the Optimus V topic but if your friend doesn't know, Sprint has published some workarounds for the issues.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/338455#338455
    Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

Sent via VM670

Feedback Score

Sent via VM670

I have a question for you guys...

If there were an OTA update for the Optimus V, and one already had theirs rooted, would that prevent the update from happening?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by edplayer View Post
    If there were an OTA update for the Optimus V, and one already had theirs rooted, would that prevent the update from happening?
    Rooting alone shouldn't disable an OTA update. Although I can't back that up with any proof, rooting itself only adds (or changes, if you use the "sudo" binary already included on your phone) a file or two in your system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    Rooting alone shouldn't disable an OTA update. Although I can't back that up with any proof, rooting itself only adds (or changes, if you use the "sudo" binary already included on your phone) a file or two in your system.
    That is assuming rooting is all you do. If you install a new ROM (which is why many people root), all bets are off.

Carrier
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter if your phone is rooted or not to get and install an OTA update. But once you install the update, possibly 2.3, you will have to re-root your phone again. That is IF your able to.