Thread: Straight Talk CDMA coverage vs. Net10

Feedback Score

Straight Talk CDMA coverage vs. Net10

Well....I may get blasted since I'm posting this in the ST forum but since it is related to both I wasn't really sure where to ask....

I've posted a few times about my concerns about the CDMA (Verizon) "gap" that ST has in NE Wisconsin north of Green Bay. Kind of ironic but I took a ride today with a phone that I haven't activated yet from ST (my mom has hers and its GSM and active). Even though the phone is not yet activated I can still get an indicator telling me when there is no service. I didn't get very far down the road to the South toward Green Bay and as expected the phone lost service. I did not have the time to drive all of the way to Green Bay to see when the phone would have gotten service back but since the Verizon map is accurate for when I would lose service I assume that it would have been correct when I would have gotten service back.

I drove half the distance to Crivitz, WI. I had 3 phones from 3 different carriers. ST (AT&T), Cellcom, and this unactivated phone which will be Verizon. AT&T and Cellcom both had full bars but as expected the Verizon ST phone still said NO SERVICE.

Ironically....stopped at I believe it was either a Dollar General....and saw the phones/brochures for other services that I knew existed but so far have overlooked. Net10, Tracfone, and TMobile (and they also had the book for the prepaid plan directly from Verizon which is identical to the ST CDMA coverage map). I noticed the CDMA map in the Net10 book was very similar to the Verizon (and also ST) map however.....NO HOLE in NE WI. I was just wondering if I shouldn't just take back the phone (its been less than 15 days) and get something from Net10 instead? Otherwise I can just KEEP the phone that I got from ST-- which I paid only $5 for refurbished w/a $30 card--and see if it serves its purpose or presents a lot of issues with losing signal.....but since I rarely head in that direction more than bimonthly maybe and I have a backup Safelink (AT&T) phone it might not be that much of a problem. Otherwise I could KEEP it for awhile and switch to Net10 at a later time and be out what......just basically the $5 I paid for the phone right?

I'm not doing anything immediately but I want to make sure that I have things right. Is it true what this map apparently is saying and there is some type of additional agreement that Net10 has with Cellcom to use their CDMA towers on the way to Green Bay? I have their book right here and I see that they have a $25/750 min or $50/unlimited plan. Phone selection looked a little limited but.... Just a couple of ??'s about the whole Net10 thing though. Number porting. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they either DO NOT port or that they charge for porting. Can anyone confirm? It also says "750 minutes OR text" Does that mean that they take one minute away for every text? I'm not sure if ST is 1000 minutes AND 1000 texts or 1000 MIN OR 1000 TXT but I'm pretty sure its the former is it not??

Thanks for any info. I'm on the fence here. I'll likely just keep the ST phone for the time being because even though I can get the $5 back for the phone I can't get the $30 back for the card so (I could still give it to my mother for her phone though).....keeping the ST for the time being and trying it out to see if the coverage gap causes a problem might be the way to go.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes Net10 has roaming agreements, but Straight Talk does not.

Feedback Score

RE? ST vs. Net10 in NE WI (the coverage hole)

Thank you, Markjs. You never can tell how accurate those coverage maps really are so it doesn't hurt to double-check. I do believe what I am going to do is activate the ST CDMA, see how I like it (service + the phone) for a coule of months at least, and if the coverage hole causes problems then I'll switch to Net10...

This might be the time to move this to the Net10 forum but I'll give it a try here first since I won't have to re-explain my situation.

What about the Net10 porting question? Do they do it at all & if they do --is there a porting fee? Is it $5? $10? How is the customer service for people that have tried both. ...and the last qusetion that I had was about the Net10 pricing. Is it $25 for 750 minutes OR text or is it like ST and 750 minutes AND 750 text. I can't say that I text a LOT but they do add up quickly and if even those INCOMING texts which I really cannot control are being deducted from my 750 minutes that may be an issue. Is there such a thing as incoming text blocking or do you just have to tell people to not text you because its erasing your minutes? I can see how the $50 unlmited plan might be a real PLUS in that case. $5 more than ST-UNL but probably worth it if its taking away from my 750 min of talk time. I'd probably try the 750 and buy the unlimited card the following month if it was a problem.

ALSO....I doubt it because American-based customer service is about as common as the dinosaur...but are the Net10 CSR's understandable and knowledgeable or I don't care if they are in a foreign country...are they at least understandable and knowledgeable.

The more I think about it the more I think I should've posted this to the Net10 forum. Sorry. My mom is still a ST sub though so at least that applies, right? Considering that this area is so damn RURAL and coverage SUCKS sometimes, I don't really think its all that bad of an idea to have have both CDMA + GSM. GSM w/one provider and CDMA with another might provide even more versatility. AWESOME to hear Net10 offers more roaming partnerships, not so awesome that the minutes are a little lower for me on the 750 plan compared to the ST1000 AND really waiting to hear back on how in/out texts impact those 750 minutes.

All input on this is appreciated and once again I apologize for the post length. (seems to be a trend for me!)

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    ST is the only Tracfone division that does not have full roaming partners for CDMA (you can probably blame Verizon for that). No Tracfone division restricts porting and there has NEVER been a charge for porting. There is only ONE CS call center for all the Tracfone divisions, with every CSR responsible for handling any divisions questions. The Net10 $25 plan is based on minutes of use (talking and texting both deduct from that ONE allotment of 750 minutes). A single text deducts one minute ($25/750 text = 3-1/3 cents per text - this is also the cost of one minute of talk time). You are charged for incoming text only if you open them. Incoming text can be deleted without ever opening them (so you don`t accidently open them later). Here is a link to the Net10 CDMA phones page (CO market): http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/...view&market=CO
    There are no bundles (you can blame Verizon). Use a cashback site to order from Net 10 or ST for 15 to 24% cashback.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    You can port into NET10.
    The $25/month plan includes 750 total minutes OR texts
    NET10 customer service is the same as Straight Talk, same call centers, same people. Call the Miami number - 1-800-876-5753 Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST to get US based CS
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Feedback Score
    This is all very good information. Thank you. I'm probably at least temporarily stuck with activating my Straight Talk phone that I have on-hand that I purchased via site-to-store as a refurbished LG290C + $25 card for $30 plus tax. If I keep the phone for test-run for a couple of months to see what happens and then switch to Net10 if I have problems. It really does suck that this restriction is placed on the ST brand only when...as you both said....they are all really under the same umbrella company. You have to wonder why really? Possibly the theory of it being Verizon to blame might not be much of a stretch because maybe they didn't really see Trac or Net10 as much of a threat but when they heard that they were partnering up the new brand of ST w/Walmart it sort of put the "fear of God" in them?? Just a theory.... YES I did know that all of the companies were all somehow owned by the same parent company so that was somewhat of a boneheaded question but....oh well. I guess BECAUSE of the fact that Net10 allows roaming w/CDMA Verizon and ST does NOT sort of threw me off track for a second. After all....you would think "Same parent company? Same rules" no? I would think people would go there in their minds..

Like I said....I think I'll activate the ST CDMA LG phone that I already have on hand but if it does cause problems due to this no off-Verizon roaming I'll switch to Net10. I only paid 5 bucks for the phone so its not like its a huge loss. Visiting that site http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/...view&market=CO I see the same phone there would cost me $60 new (as presented on the site w/o any type of discounts, etc..) but I'll see what happens. Maybe the ST CDMA hole won't be that much of an issue for me? Maybe ST will add CDMA roaming? I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

I don't suppose that they will just switch me over to a Net10 plan using my Walmart/ST-purchased refurb LG290C now would they? NO....that would be to easy for me I guess. I suppose the phones are programmed differently on shipment as well. It really would be great if something like that were possible to do though. I mean....it really WAS an honest mistake in my case but I suppose EVERYbody would try the same trick of getting the cheaper phone and activating it with Net10 instead if they allowed it.