Thread: Data roaming exists!?!

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Data roaming exists!?!

I was investigating the roaming capabilities of a GSM Straight Talk phone, and when I roamed off of AT&T's network, I still had data! My phone said "HOME", but a call to a traditional activation number (*228) indicated that I was on Long Lines network.

This was in and southeast of Remsen, IA.

It indicated I was on EDGE, but the speeds were atrociously slow. Here's two samples:

Still, though, it is data roaming, which isn't supposed to exist per the TOS.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Phones
    Droid MAXX
    Droid MAXX
    Carrier
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Yes I use my iPhone all over Iowa no problems, works edge on wireless too

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    ST has agreements with some 10 or so GSM providers in the US, so many of our phones can indeed "roam" on other providers. Its not really roaming since its considered native coverage.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I was just impressed to see data while roaming, since technically the TOS says that when roaming there's no data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    I was just impressed to see data while roaming, since technically the TOS says that when roaming there's no data.
    GSM roams; CDMA does not.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Correct, no roaming on CDMA:
    Service on the CDMA Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the CDMA network, your Straight Talk phone will not roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk CDMA network coverage area.
    Roaming from the ToCs (GSM):
    The coverage maps display only the predicted and approximate optimal wireless coverage for voice calls, while outdoors, of the network on which your phone may be activated including the coverage area of the network’s roaming partners, if applicable. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage.

Some features on your device may not operate when roaming on the network of a network roaming partner.

ROAMING: “Roaming” occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the network facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming usually occurs when a subscriber places or receives a call while outside of the network coverage area of their wireless service provider.

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use.
    Since your phone still said "HOME", you weren't technically roaming and thus still have data capabilities. I wonder what areas are actually "ROAM" coverage with no data.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    HTC Inspire 4G
    Samsung Infuse 4G
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silentjudge View Post
    Correct, no roaming on CDMA:

Roaming from the ToCs (GSM):

Since your phone still said "HOME", you weren't technically roaming and thus still have data capabilities. I wonder what areas are actually "ROAM" coverage with no data.
    Actually, I believe it always says "Home". This area of your phone is used to indicate your provider....not your network status. Normally it would say "AT&T" on with their SIMs. I'm not sure why ST has their SIMs programmed to say "Home".

Sent from my Straight Talk HTC Inspire using the Howard Forums app
    For instructions on using Androids with Straight Talk don't PM me....I don't usually answer....click here!
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...stop-asking%29

Feedback Score
    Edge doesn't mean you are roaming; it simply means you are in an area without 3G coverage. When I was with AT&T my home town was Edge; the city where worked had 3G service. Now AT&T 3G covers my entire county. However, as I do not know you coverage area, who am I to argue.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellyon View Post
    Edge doesn't mean you are roaming; it simply means you are in an area without 3G coverage. When I was with AT&T my home town was Edge; the city where worked had 3G service. Now AT&T 3G covers my entire county. However, as I do not know you coverage area, who am I to argue.
    AT&T is all 3G here; moreover, the call to *228 (used on CDMA for activation, not sure if GSM uses it for something similar) went to Long Lines, a local cell phone company. I do realize that EDGE is possible while still on the AT&T network; there's a lot of area in northern Minnesota that's EDGE.

Speaking of Minnesota: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-9MQ4DdBek
    (Warning: It's a Weird Al song.)