Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It still lives! (As of Oct 4th - LOL)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuczynski View Post
    In the USA, the only other option that can come close to this for a "glove-box" phone is probably T-mobile. Put they're on a much smaller network.

Thanks, I will check out T-Mobile! I spend 1/2 my time stateside so require a reliable option.
    Unfortunately SO hasn't proved itself to be of much use to me personally. Still, glad it works for you!
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    I never heard of a phone like this (would rather not put $$ into a 1yr phone# with TracFone), so I checked. Seems the U.S. side of things has been discontinued. From the webpage:
    "In the United States, the Speak Out mobile brand has quietly been discontinued."
    Bummer.

Feedback Score

Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by XtinaAguilera View Post
    I never heard of a phone like this (would rather not put $$ into a 1yr phone# with TracFone), so I checked. Seems the U.S. side of things has been discontinued. From the webpage:
    "In the United States, the Speak Out mobile brand has quietly been discontinued."
    Bummer.
    That will come as quite a surprise to the three members of my family who are using USA SpeakOut phones every day. I used one this morning, for voice and text. Please provide the URL of the webpage you are referring to. It must have been Canadian, since there is no USA web page for SpeakOut. In any case, what has been "quietly discontinued" are simply the marketing and promotion of the phones at 7-11 stores in the USA, not the service itself. SpeakOut USA service still exists and functions very well, as an MVNO using the ATT network, and accounts can still be topped up at 7-11 stores in the USA, or by telephone. Please, let's get our facts straight!

Phone
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Speak Out!
    Feedback Score
    I just renewed for another year...

Adding $50 gets 12 months expiration on minutes, $0.99/month access fee, 0.15/minute

Still seems to be one of the best prepaid deals for low calling minute users.

Feedback Score
    I just renewed my smart phone with my mobile service provider for another year too!
    $60 gets me 12 months expiration on minutes @ .20 per min calling or .23 per minute to call long distance anywhere in the world with no hidden charges either! Unlike SO that charges $12 access fee which leaves you with only $88 out of the original $100 you are charged & a buck for each month you let your time lapse, I pay Zero monthly access fees, no charge for 911, no charge for 411 I am only charged an extra .03 per minute for Global Long distance. 4 bars all the time. Zero dropped calls. Looks like i have the best prepaid deal. Boo Yeah!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiKen View Post
    I just renewed my smart phone with my mobile service provider for another year too!
    $60 gets me 12 months expiration on minutes @ .20 per min calling or .23 per minute to call long distance anywhere in the world with no hidden charges either! Unlike SO that charges $12 access fee which leaves you with only $88 out of the original $100 you are charged & a buck for each month you let your time lapse, I pay Zero monthly access fees, no charge for 911, no charge for 411 I am only charged an extra .03 per minute for Global Long distance. 4 bars all the time. Zero dropped calls. Looks like i have the best prepaid deal. Boo Yeah!
    SpiKen, for a year now you have been posting inaccurately about SpeakOut. The ONLY "access" deduction for SpeakOut service in the USA is ninety-nine cents per month. That's not "in addition" to any other fee or deduction, that's the ONLY fee for a year's service. I'm talking about the USA, not Canada, where SpeakOut service is quite different. In the USA, the per-minute fee is still fifteen cents, a text is still ten cents, and a fifty-dollar top-up makes your whole balance good for another year (the fifty bucks plus whatever was on the phone before the top-up). That's still an unbeatable deal for people who don't need or want a smart-phone and who use their phones lightly. You never say what your provider is (a year ago it was Petro Canada and you shouldn't even have been posting in the SpeakOut USA forum at all), but if you're paying twenty cents a minute for voice calls, then your cost per minute is thirty percent higher than SpeakOut's per-minute cost. Why do you bother to keep posting the same thing over and over again? If you're happy with another service, then great. I'm happy for you. Why do you feel the need to keep on trashing SpeakOut for no reason? At least, please get your facts straight.

Phone
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier
    Speak Out!
    Feedback Score
    Field-phone, You have more energy than me to reply to a clearly confused poster...

The sad part for me is that I scrolled up through this brief thread and noticed I made pretty much the same post 2-3 years running. Argh, the brain cells are failing.

I'm still surprised that SpeakOut USA still offers service to it's small American client base. I figured we would all have been transferred/sold to AT&T/GoPhone ages ago.

Feedback Score
    First off, welcome to the Global community, including those who share dual & even multiple citizenship's!
    Actually, It's you who is wrong & you who needs to get your facts straight. Lol! Yes, I am talking about US service. However my facts are just as valid in Canada too! Depending which State/Province you reside in is what you are charged per min. One fee which is applied in all of USA & Canada is the 911 fee & yes I consider it a rip off when , if you use your minutes up & have your phone sitting unused, the next time you add airtime you are charged the .99 fee (or more depending on location) for ever how many months, you have your phone sitting around not utilized. 5 months, means you are deducted 5 bucks even though you didn't even use the phone. (More in Canada BTW) Your only other choice is to start fresh with another Sim & number if it's over 10 months. Either way SO sticks it to you. If you are happy with SO, that's fine, I am happy for you just, please get your facts straight, present ALL the facts & maybe certain confused posters could tone down the Pollyanna bit, like anyone cares who just renewed for another year? Not really!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuczynski View Post
    Field-phone, You have more energy than me to reply to a clearly confused poster...

The sad part for me is that I scrolled up through this brief thread and noticed I made pretty much the same post 2-3 years running. Argh, the brain cells are failing.

I'm still surprised that SpeakOut USA still offers service to it's small American client base. I figured we would all have been transferred/sold to AT&T/GoPhone ages ago.
    Please don't give them any ideas! That would be a bad thing in many ways for those of us who like the current set-up.

Actually, I imagine that Ztar, which owns both the Canadian and U.S. versions of SpeakOut, is making adequate profits from SpeakOut in Canada (where it is a much bigger deal and still promoted, not to mention more expensive to use), and they probably regard the USA operation as harmlessly vestigial and still marginally profitable, so why bother to sell it off? Anyway, it might be more trouble than it would be worth for a potential buyer to absorb the U.S. subscribers, since they would have to issue new SIM cards and chase down subscribers for whom they have no postal addresses or other information, many of whom would not be happy about having to supply it (in which case I suppose refunds of outstanding balances would have to be offered before accounts could be closed, but it would be rather difficult to issue refunds without names and addresses), and other related procedural hassles would probably arise as well, all for little or no profit.

One day the status quo is bound to change of course, but for the moment it's probably easier for them just to maintain things as they are.

As long as 7-11 stores in the USA still accept top-ups (which they do, even though they no longer sell or promote the service actively), and as long as it remains possible to top up with a credit card in an emergency by dialing 611 from the phone, that's fine with me.

Also, I like my privacy as a matter of principle, and one of the reasons I like SpeakOut is that I don't have to regard carrying the phone in my pocket as equivalent to wearing an electronic ankle-bracelet, which almost all cell phones have now become. Even though there is no conceivable reason why anyone would have any interest in my activities or any motivation for tracking me, just the knowledge that it could be done, especially for mistaken or insufficient reasons and at the mere press of a casual button, gives me hives. I like the shreds of privacy that SpeakOut still affords me. I reckon that may be at least partly wishful thinking or an illusion, since there really is no electronic privacy left anymore nowadays if the authorities are determined to invade it, not to mention the data-miners, many other barely-legal snoops, and all the outright crooks. But if it's an illusion then it's a comforting one, and I am in no hurry to lose it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by field-phone View Post
    I like my privacy as a matter of principle, and one of the reasons I like SpeakOut is that I don't have to regard carrying the phone in my pocket as equivalent to wearing an electronic ankle-bracelet, which almost all cell phones have now become. Even though there is no conceivable reason why anyone would have any interest in my activities or any motivation for tracking me, just the knowledge that it could be done, especially for mistaken or insufficient reasons and at the mere press of a casual button, gives me hives. I like the shreds of privacy that SpeakOut still affords me. I reckon that may be at least partly wishful thinking or an illusion, since there really is no electronic privacy left anymore nowadays if the authorities are determined to invade it, not to mention the data-miners, many other barely-legal snoops, and all the outright crooks. But if it's an illusion then it's a comforting one, and I am in no hurry to lose it!

Hmmm, seems you are clearly confused & misinformed.
    Your posts are inaccurate again...& for how many years now?!
    FYI: every phone on the GSM frequency, which SO uses has GPS tracking.
    Pretty much every frequency for that matter!
    GPS is even on older, non sim CDMA.

Oh yes, tracking is GLOBAL!

Some phones will have the menu option of disabling Tracking,

Hey, maybe even cheap SO phones, if you are lucky.
    If your phone does not provide the option of turning off GPS then well, the conspiracy freaks out there will just have to live with it.

Personally, I don't lose any sleep over the GPS tracking function.
    GPS aids in 911 emergency's. That is it's purpose & function. Not to track you.
    But if you're that paranoid there are criminals tracking your every move, then go ahead & disable it.
    (if you can)
    It only tracks the nearest cell tower, not you, so stop worrying & start living!

Hate to burst your fiction with facts, but when it comes to mobile phones, your privacy is an illusion:
    You have never had any to begin with.

Feedback Score
    As will be obvious to any reasonable person, my post had nothing whatever to do with GPS tracking or with anything else in your muddled and pointlessly insulting post. You are clearly incapable of understanding anyone else's post or of contributing a coherent post yourself. That's your problem, not mine. For some reason, however, you seem to have singled me out as the sole target of your inappropriate screeds. You should be aware that forum rules do not tolerate the sort of gratuitous and persistent negative comments and insults which you have for some reason decided to direct at me. You are welcome to correct any FACTUAL error that you think you may have found in this forum (though you have not yet pointed out any specific error of fact in a post of mine, despite all your noise), but when you persist in making false and inaccurate generalizations and demeaning characterizations about someone's posts overall, then you have crossed a line. You have also made this thread an unpleasant and counterproductive place to visit. If you continue to do so, I trust the mods will take notice.

Feedback Score
    As will be obvious to any reasonable person, you enjoy going out of your way to insult others with immature name-calling and threats. I have responded by presented facts to multiple assumptions & inaccurate posts & clearly that is what has gotten under your skin. You have crossed the line from the very beginning & attempted to make this thread your own personal mean-spirited playground to personally attack & bully other posters & then you pretend to act surprised with returned resulting responses. It is little wonder there are not more forum members here. If you continue to act in your predictable ongoing manner, I trust the mods will take notice. If not, well then I hope you eventually grow up & get over whatever it is that is lacking in your life that leaves you with nothing better to do but go out of your way to start & fan flame wars. Are you aware that forum rules do not tolerate the sort of persistent negative comments and insults which you have for some reason currently decided to fixate & direct towards me? Are you aware that when you respond to another posters reply in a pointlessly insulting manner that you purposely illicit a negative response? Are you aware that when you make uncalled for, false and inaccurate generalizations and demeaning attacks on others, that the natural resulting response may very well be less than a pleasant reply? Obviously you do, or you would not continue to conduct yourself in such a predictable, methodical manner. I suggest you lay off the personal attacks & start responding to others in a respectful manner. Treat others, as you would like to be treated. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
    Last edited by SpiKen; 12-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2