Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Changing around Net10 phones

Here's the scenario:

A friend ended up with a Net10 LG900g (AT&T SIM) that doesn't work for some reason. He needs a new one, and I've found someone nearby by with the same model nearly new up for sale. That phone's account has lapsed (more than three months ago). So the question is, if we get him this phone, what's the routine? It'll need a new SIM, right? Is there some method that'll guarantee he gets another AT&T SIM for the replacement phone? I know they generally overnight SIMs, still true? And he would, with the help of over-the-phone CS (Miami number), be able to completely transfer his account (tel. number, minutes, svc. days) to the replacement? If there are any other issues or caveats, please bring them up. TIA!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Make sure the phone is out of the previous owners account. If the phone last had an AT&T SIM in it, that will be the type they send. They will probably require that he add airtime to re-activate the phone.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    A person would had to have purposefully gone and set up this account online with Net10, wouldn't they? The person who owns the replacement phone is dumb as a stump, and I don't think they would've gone to that trouble. But if they had, and they were willing, how would they cancel or relinquish the account?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    A person would had to have purposefully gone and set up this account online with Net10, wouldn't they? The person who owns the replacement phone is dumb as a stump, and I don't think they would've gone to that trouble. But if they had, and they were willing, how would they cancel or relinquish the account?
    If this person is willing to get on the phone with you (if necessary) and explain to Trac you are now the owner then you are OK. I am not sure if there are ways ownership can "inadvertently" be assumed by Trac, without actually setting up an account.

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    There are two issues here:

1) Did the previous owner set up an online account at Net10.com and put that phone on the account?
    If the answer is yes, then he will need to remove it from his online account before you can put it into a different online account (if you choose to do so - it's entirely optional).

2) Did he ever call CS and give them his name? That will be the name that Net10 will associate with his phone number and the phone's serial number. I don't know if they care about it after the phone has gone inactive. Generally to prove ownership of a phone, they will ask you the name of the original owner and the zip code where it was first activated. But as I said, I don't know if they continue to care about it after the phone has been inactive more than 60 days.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    We ended up just getting a new LG900g from Kmart, as they were on sale this week for $30, just $5 more than the seller wanted. Got it all switched over pronto via the Miami number. So that problem is solved! Turns out his original phone's display somehow became hosed and just showed streaks and lines; maybe it took a few too many hard knocks!

Which revealed something I had been suspecting: Ever since this friend got his first copy of this phone, I've thought it was defective with regard to his transmit audio (outgoing to callers). It always sounded very small, thin and scratchy, and even though very little cell phone audio could be described as good, this one was annoying to connect with and have a conversation with. I use a landline at home, and it's easy to hear whose phone has the good stuff, and this wasn't one of them. With all the glowing reviews of the LG900g here on HoFo since its introduction, I was sure it wasn't a built-in problem with the phone model, but rather a sample defect of this particular handset. And switching it out for the new one has restored relatively decent audio to this guy's phoning usage. I had tried to get him to swap it under warranty where he bought it within the first few weeks after he got it, but he wasn't into the idea of going through the motions; too much trouble. So let that be a lesson: When you get a phone, put it through its paces, and get feedback from people you talk to about how it sounds (just to mention one aspect). There are lots of ways things can go defective during the manufacturing process, and not get quality checked, especially at this price point.

Thanks for the comments, y'all.