Thread: Garminfone on Straight Talk network

Device(s)
    Unlocked Palm Tungsten W
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Rocks
    Feedback Score

Garminfone on Straight Talk network

Hi:

I am typically a lurker, I use the search function and read a lot. I don't post much. Typically I can find an answer without resorting to actually asking anyone :-) Other people usually have the same problems.

I have an unlocked T-Mobile Garminfone on T-Mobile right now and I was wondering if anyone has used a Garminfone on Straight Talk GSM?

I have seen people using the Garminfone on Rogers. There didn't seem to be a good description of functionality, MMS, SMS, teathering, etc.

I will probably buy a cheap Straight Talk GSM phone and test it out anyway, but, I thought a thread on the issue would be useful anyway. I'll post my results here after a month or two.

Anyone have enough experience with this issue to give me a heads up?

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    From what I've read, Straight Talk uses AT&T's network. Garminfone would have to be unlocked.
    Unlock codes are available online and usually take up to 3 weeks (I've been waiting 2 weeks now for one).

I have a Garminfone on Rogers in Canada. It is the same frequencies as AT&T; not AWS. So, no 3G on Garminfone on Straight Talk. MMS & SMS work fine. Tethering too, but only at EDGE speeds. Which compared to 3G should be painfully slow.

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked Garminfone with the early OS and txt messages with pics attached won't display. Has anyone had problems with odd glitches like this with an unlocked Garminfone. I want to download the more recent OS but it tells me it's not compatible with the carrier when I run the update from the Garminasus website.

Device(s)
    AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 on Bell
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Mobile/page12

see post #172 in that thread. And mine directly below it for the next 2 pages...

Device(s)
    Unlocked Palm Tungsten W
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Rocks
    Feedback Score
    So I have been researching this issue and found a hiccup: The Straight Talk TOS.
    "Some Straight Talk wireless phones have SIM cards. If your Straight Talk phone has a SIM card, then you agree to safeguard your SIM card and not to allow any unauthorized person to use your SIM card. You agree not to, and not to allow any other person to, directly or indirectly alter, bypass, copy, deactivate, remove, reverse-engineer or otherwise circumvent or reproduce the encoded information stored on, or the encryption mechanisms of, your SIM card. You may not remove your SIM card or use the SIM card on any other wireless phone. Any violation of the restrictions on the use of your SIM card that are contained in this section may result in the immediate termination of your service without notice. The Carriers, TracFone Wireless, or its service providers, may, from time to time, remotely update or change the encoded information on your SIM card."

I am still working on this, but, it looks like there are issues.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Palm Tungsten W
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Rocks
    Feedback Score
    BTW Spazmogden: I had already read the entire thread you directed me to and didn't find much of anything on the Straight Talk network. There are some issues with the 3G network between my T-Mobile Garminphone and the 3G service typically used by straight talk. It also looks like there are issues with the specific sim cards that Straight Talk uses, only some can be used in different phones. Others are actually tied to the phone IMEI. So far this is all stuff I have read. I should have personal experience coming soon.