Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with Tracfone? No coverage in my area?

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

What is going on with Tracfone? No coverage in my area?

Can anyone tell me what is going on with Tracfone at the moment? I wanted to order the Motorola EX124G for about a week now, but was hesitant and apparently waited too long to order it on Tracfone site. It was on there a week ago for my zipcode, now its not. So I called Tracfone CS and they told me they were not in the inventory anymore. So I asked her if I found the Motorola for Tracfone somewhere else could I still activate it in my area and she said Yes. So I continued my search for that phone, found it on Wirefly.com (which btw gave me every indication it was "In Stock" there), so of course I went ahead and placed my order. Well low and behold after placing the order, it shows up in the invoice stating, " Approved - Awaiting Inventory". So I guess they don't have them "In Stock" now do they? Well my son decided to go back on their site after I ordered it and checked, and he said their site is still saying they are "In Stock"! What gives??? but wait it gets better... Today just for the fun of it I decided to go back on Tracfone site, just to see if they got the EX124G back in stock, and get this, when I put in my zipcode, it tells me " We're sorry. TRACFONE is not supported in the ZIP code you have entered. Please enter a different ZIP code to check availability in other areas. " What is going on?!?! Can someone please explain it to me? Update: I know for a fact that Tracfone is working in my area, because I just talked to my husband on a Tracfone phone.
    Last edited by Notsonu; 10-08-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    First of all, it was brought to our attention by another poster here a day or two ago that this model is out of stock and not appearing on the TracFone site. So we can assume it's going to be hard to get for a while.

Second, putting in your home zip and relying on TracFone's site to recommend a phone is not a reliable way to get the best service for your area. The best way is to know, through independent research (looking at the correct carrier's coverage map) who covers your area the best (home and the places you frequent). Then, using a zip code that equates to pointing to the desired carrier, enter that in their site selection area. Here on Howard Forums you can ask and obtain a zip that'll get the job done. It usually boils down to wanting (or needing) AT&T as opposed to T-Mobile (GSM carriers), with the possibility of Verizon wireless (a CDMA carrier) where it beats AT&T. The CDMA phones (whose model numbers end in "C") are fewer in number to choose from. The GSM phones (like the EX124g) end in "G". These are the primary underlying carriers that TracFone has agreements with to have their phones work on, as TracFone (and sister companies Net10 & Straight Talk) do not own or operate their own physical cell network.

The zip for ordering does not have to match the shipping zip or the activating zip.

So, who's the best carrier for your area? Check out the coverage maps for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless on their respective sites. T-Mobile typically comes up a distant third place, although there are exceptions.

The business with a retailer not having accurate info about what's in stock is just (I guess) the way things are in the online world. And of course their live cust. svc. people all want to say "yes" to please their customers. Kind of short-term gratification there, isn't it? Better that they have accurate, truthful, useful info.

Just post again if you need more info.

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    So if that phone is going to be that hard to get, should I assume a made a good choice? Or is it because Tracfone was handing them out left and right as a replacement for the LG800G and now there are none around for the people who just wanted to buy the Moto EX124G from the start? I was still torn between which one to buy, Moto EX124G or LG800G, until last night and just figured I would go with the EX124G. I hope I am not making a huge mistake!!!

Let me ask you this. So what you are saying is that if Tracfone, Net10, or even Straight Talk has a phone that will work in my area according to the coverage maps, that I could purchase that phone, activate it and use it in my area? Also would I still be able to get a local number for my area code for that phone?

As far as the coverage maps for the 3 carriers, I would have to say that AT&T and Verizon are pretty much the same as far as coverage from what I can tell. Tmobile, well like you said, I probably would not even consider buying a phone from them to begin with for the simple fact that I always felt that their coverage area here was not as good as the other two. So now I sit here and try to remember who I might have talked to on their cellphones from either AT&T or Verizon and which one sounded better??? Just not sure...

Thank god for this "Auto Save" feature on here. I don't know what happened but when I tried to post this reply, I was taken completely away from this page???

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Notsonu,
    In addition to the good advice whacker gave you sometimes I think they are doing maintenance on the database because I'll try a lot of zip codes I know are good and they all come up with that same message. Just wait awhile and try again, it will come back. As for the EX124G, who knows what is going on. Someone else was told they were just temporarily out of stock, that's Tracfone they never give you the same answer. I have the EX124G, nice phone but it takes time to get use to it. Nothing on the phone is intuitive.

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    @BobbyLee
    Yes, I have read quite a few of your posts that indicated you also have the EX124G. So can you tell me how the call quality is on that phone? I just know from past experience with Motorola phones, I was not too happy. That concerns me with my purchase of this phone, but of course the Tracfone selection is so very limited and I wanted to upgrade to a touch screen, so it was between the EX124G and the LG800G. And after reading all the problems that people were having with the LG800G and all the texting problems, I was leaning more towards the EX124G. Also that fact it has a bigger screen. I really would of loved to of be able to get a phone for Tracfone that was Wifi enabled, but of course those don't exist. But yes, believe or not, I am not just interested in the touch screen feature of the EX124G, I also need it to function as a great working phone for talking too. Yes, I still do that on a phone and it is important to me!

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsonu View Post
    @BobbyLee
    So can you tell me how the call quality is on that phone? I just know from past experience with Motorola phones, I was not too happy. That concerns me with my purchase of this phone, but of course the Tracfone selection is so very limited and I wanted to upgrade to a touch screen, so it was between the EX124G and the LG800G. And after reading all the problems that people were having with the LG800G and all the texting problems, I was leaning more towards the EX124G. Also that fact it has a bigger screen.
    I find the call quality surprisingly good for a candy bar style phone (I like flip phones), better than my LG500G, LG501C, and comparable to my LG231C. Funny, we just ordered my wife an LG800G since they fixed the issues with that phone. If you read a lot of the posts you'll find quite a few folks saying how they like their LG800G phones but not near as many saying they like their EX124Gs. Something to be aware of is the touchscreen on the EX124G and LG800G are different. The EX124G is a pressure sensitive screen and comes with a built-in stylus like the older PDAs so if you get that one I hope you have a fingernail you can use on the screen or like pulling the stylus in and out. The LG800G, I think, has a capacitive screen so it actually senses the finger touching the screen. Yes, the screen is bigger but not all that much bigger and based on tests elsewhere the cameras are about the same. You might want to re-look at the LG800G now that they've pretty much fixed the problems, it comes with triple minutes. The EX124G started coming with triple minutes but as of right now is unavailable, I heard they are temporarily out of stock and someone else was told they won't be carrying them any more, no one knows for sure. I know of three individuals so far that got rid of their EX124Gs to switch to the LG800G but I haven't heard of anyone going the other way. I like the EX124G, it gets better the longer you have it. Just FYI, they should be offering the LG505C touchscreen sometime in the near future now that it is on their activation page. A lot of folks are looking forward to that one because it's a CDMA version on Verizon.

I really would of loved to of be able to get a phone for Tracfone that was Wifi enabled, but of course those don't exist.
    Wouldn't we all? Straight Talk has a few if you like their rates. Hopefully that will be the next major advancement they bring to Trac now that they have the touchscreens.

Side note: If you want order any Tracfones from Tracfone check out BigCrumbs.com, I use them all the time for the 24% cash back to my PayPal account, so far it has worked flawlessly.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Even though I'm not a Trac user, I'm a bit of a gearhead with respect to all these phones and providers (among other interests). So I just yesterday spent some time perusing YouTube and watching some video reviews of the EX124g and LG800g. It pretty much follows all the verbiage you can read here, except no one gets into things like call quality. From what I can tell, they're both pretty satisfactory items. Looks-wise, I'd favor the Motorola, and it's screen layout and such. I've heard the layout of the LG described as "cartoonish," and I can understand where they're coming from. The Moto has a higher-end look. But you know, you won't be able to give a device your own personal aesthetic stamp of approval until you have it in your own hands. There are too many subjective variables. There are even sample defects in a particular phone you might get that you could take to be normal for it, when it's not. So trying to research and review and hear from others can only get you so far, and that's normal.

I think the supply problem with TracFone for this device will only be temporary. It's only been out for a short while, and they know it's popular. They're making more! Unless you've gotta have something now, I'd say wait on it.

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    well here lies the problem. I already ordered the EX124G from the Wirefly.com site and was mislead. I was under the assumption that it was "In Stock", but after going ahead and placing the order like I said in one of my above posts, I was told the order was "Approved - Awaiting Inventory" which has me a little aggravated! So now I am not sure what to do. I don't know if I can just cancel that order or not and what a pain it will be to have my account credited. Anyone here ever dealt with them? I have never heard of the Bigcrumbs.com site you spoke of. I will have to check that out. And now seeing that LG505C. I think I would much rather have that instead of the EX124G.

BobbyLee, where is this activation page you spoke of with the LG505C on it? I can't seem to find it...

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    well here lies the problem. I already ordered the EX124G from the Wirefly.com site and was mislead. I was under the assumption that it was "In Stock", but after going ahead and placing the order like I said in one of my above posts, I was told the order was "Approved - Awaiting Inventory" which has me a little aggravated! So now I am not sure what to do. I don't know if I can just cancel that order or not and what a pain it will be to have my account credited. Anyone here ever dealt with them? I have never heard of the Bigcrumbs.com site you spoke of. I will have to check that out. And now seeing that LG505C. I think I would much rather have that instead of the EX124G.
    Whoops, I missed that you had already ordered it. I'd call Wirefly and ask when it will be shipped, if you decide not get it from them I would use that opportunity to be displeased with their answer and tell them to cancel it. Typically they don't charge until the item goes out. If it shows up on your credit card later dispute the charge with your CC company, I've had to dispute charges twice in the past not a big deal as long as you don't have the phone in your possession while trying to dispute the charge. Hopefully the 505C will have the touchscreen like the 800G and not the EX124G.

For the activation page click this link and on the activation page click on the LG tab, the 505C should be in the upper left (click on the 505C if you want a bigger picture of it): https://www.tracfone.com/direct/init...on&saidExist=Y

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    I guess there's no telling how soon this LG505C might show up on the Tracfone site, is there?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Notsonu,
    Nope, no way to know. Tracfone doesn't give out that information and it always seems to be different for each phone. The LG500G just seemed to appear on shelves without anyone knowing it was coming. But, when they do show up on the activation page it's usually not all too long before they show up for sale (8 weeks on a couple). Sorry.

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    BobbyLee, where is this activation page you speak of?

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Notsonu,

For the activation page click this link and on the activation page click on the LG tab, the 505C should be in the upper left (click on the 505C if you want a bigger picture of it): https://www.tracfone.com/direct/init...on&saidExist=Y

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    Well imagine that! I guess that shows you how long its been since I activated a phone on their site. I think the last one I activated I did over the phone not online. That would be my LG420G

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Notsonu,
    Funny, the LG420G is what my wife has and is what we are upgrading her from.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Looks-wise, I'd favor the Motorola, and it's screen layout and such. I've heard the layout of the LG described as "cartoonish," and I can understand where they're coming from.
    whacker,
    I was calling them little kid cartoon icons back in May on another forum, might have been me you were thinking of, maybe not. My issue was with the cartoon icons they show in all the pictures but someone who got the phone assured me you could change the icon set to a normal looking set to look more professional. As for the overall look I prefer the EX124G too, it just looks more masculine and expensive. I tell folks it's the more expensive Motorola EX128 dual-band just to mess with them, they use the same body and look the same. They never need to know it was gutted by Tracfone.
    Last edited by BobbyLee; 10-09-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast