Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Smart phone that runs on Verizon network?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    19
    Phones
    Blackberry Pearl
    LG VX9100 - drowned
    LG VX8700 - retired
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Smart phone that runs on Verizon network?

    Where I live the AT&T service is worthless. My girlfriend bought a Nokia 6790 and it was horrable. She only had it activated for about 4 hours. Dropped calls every 2 minutes, texts wouldn't go threw. Service was spotty where Verizon worked great.

    Me and her both want a smart phone but in order for it to work for us it needs to be on the Verizon network. Any suggestions?

    BTW Straight Talk customer service treated her like crap during the problems and a month later she is still waiting on a refund to get processed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    The "best" ST phone for Verizon is the LG 511C, but its NOT a smartphone. ST simply has no smartphones on Verizon.
    The only smartphones are on AT&T (Nokia smartphones) or Sprint [no roaming] (Androids)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,115
    Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed with the above. If you need Verizon and want a smartphone, you can look into Page Plus (minimal data) or NationPCS (it'll cost you around $60 a month, though)... or directly with Verizon, since it seems you're looking for two lines.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,523
    Feedback Score
    0
    The 511c looks to be a feature phone. I'm wondering, can this run on the 30 a month plan on ST? (Found out this can work on the 30.00 dollar plan.)
    I will be the first to admit I like my Samrtphones over Featurephones any day of the week but if the 511c is a quality phone through ST and it is on the Verizon network. It might be worth having just the same.
    If it only worked on Verizons native network. How large is that compared to everyone elses?
    I have tried to find a coverage map for the native Verizon service but no two maps are the same. And when you get down to the Verizon coverage on PagPlus map it is only marginally better than Sprint Native, if that is we can trust the maps since none are accurate.

    PP Verizon coverage.


    Sprint Native/this is a VM coverage map. VM runs on Sprint native service.



    This revelation makes me wonder what the true Verizon Native tower map looks like, because all the rest would have to be contracted tower usage on other carriers. This would explain why VZ costs so much, and would also make VZ kinda fudging on their claims of having the largest network.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 10-12-2011 at 06:10 AM.

    ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    458
    Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    0
    The below image looks more like the verizon prepaid network(from VZN website), maybe PP doesn't get full access to the VZN network. And the Darn network(VZN) works most places, ATT has improved quite a bit since 2008-201o, but it still has a very slow response to network complaints etc, VZN has a very good reputation in this regard. And Sprint, well doesn't the map explain it all. -))

    Notice the shrinking maps, America is shrinking in each of their maps, or is it the network covaerge - ))

    Verizon Wireless Coverage Map
    Name:  verizon map.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  44.7 KB

    ATT Prepaid Coverage Map
    Name:  ATT.gif
Views: 2826
Size:  22.1 KB
    Sprint Prepaid Coverage map- BOOST CDMA
    Name:  Sprint.gif
Views: 2620
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by ndtv88; 10-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Heres the old 4 network separated coverage map from ST themselves:


    GSM-T is Tmobile, -A is AT&T
    CDMA-V is Verizon, -S is Sprint

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    145
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtv88 View Post
    The below image looks more like the verizon prepaid network(from VZN website), maybe PP doesn't get full access to the VZN network. And the Darn network(VZN) works most places, ATT has improved quite a bit since 2008-201o, but it still has a very slow response to network complaints etc, VZN has a very good reputation in this regard. And Sprint, well doesn't the map explain it all. -))

    Notice the shrinking maps, America is shrinking in each of their maps, or is it the network covaerge - ))

    Verizon Wireless Coverage Map
    Name:  verizon map.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  44.7 KB

    ATT Prepaid Coverage Map
    Name:  ATT.gif
Views: 2826
Size:  22.1 KB
    Sprint Prepaid Coverage map- BOOST CDMA
    Name:  Sprint.gif
Views: 2620
Size:  35.6 KB
    Except in the case of the AT&T map, on Straight Talk it is closer to silentjudge's map because we get AT&T postpaid coverage with one exception I know of; you can't roam on Canadian towers, which I could do (free) on actual AT&T postpaid.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,523
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Agreed with the above. If you need Verizon and want a smartphone, you can look into Page Plus (minimal data) or NationPCS (it'll cost you around $60 a month, though)... or directly with Verizon, since it seems you're looking for two lines.
    As a Nokia FP I would expect it to be a pretty good phone. But 200.00 is a wad of cash even a horse would have a hard time getting down, for a non Smart Phone that is.
    However if this is a good phone, (and I would want to test run it for 200.00 before I forked that much over) 200.00 might be doable since it can be used on the 30.00 dollar and 45.00 dollar plans. Having access to the Verizon Native towers is better than most post paid plans tower availability and you may be able to get apps that will provide a workable GPS. That is the only thing missing from the phone that would prevent me from buying it.

    I have heard about some apps on phones that simulate GPS function by triangulating location from the cell towers, Though this was said to be a monthly subscription app. With Verizons massive tower range there would be GPS like coverage in nearly 90% of the country.
    If that same app could be made to work on these phones that would be quite a combo.
    Still..........................200.00 for a feature phone?

    You would think there would be more information on this phone but I can't find much of anything.
    Does anyone have the full specs on this hand set.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 10-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    995
    Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would suggest page plus, you can pick up any android smartphone and activated it easy, you get 1200 mins, 3000 texts, and a 100mb of data for 29.95, can get for around 29 with no tax by using refills online from callingmart.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The 909, Southern California
    Posts
    9,811
    Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    0
    I wish that VZW and ST could come to some sort of agreement on Android and data use. I would take 300MB-1GB VZW 3G, than throttled to 2G after that, on some low end android like an LG optimus or HTC Wildfire S.

    Sprint coverage is really limited, and data does not work well in my area.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    538
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidPhoneFan View Post
    As a Nokia FP I would expect it to be a pretty good phone. But 200.00 is a wad of cash even a horse would have a hard time getting down, for a non Smart Phone that is.
    However if this is a good phone, (and I would want to test run it for 200.00 before I forked that much over) 200.00 might be doable since it can be used on the 30.00 dollar and 45.00 dollar plans. Having access to the Verizon Native towers is better than most post paid plans tower availability and you may be able to get apps that will provide a workable GPS. That is the only thing missing from the phone that would prevent me from buying it.

    I have heard about some apps on phones that simulate GPS function by triangulating location from the cell towers, Though this was said to be a monthly subscription app. With Verizons massive tower range there would be GPS like coverage in nearly 90% of the country.
    If that same app could be made to work on these phones that would be quite a combo.
    Still..........................200.00 for a feature phone?

    You would think there would be more information on this phone but I can't find much of anything.
    Does anyone have the full specs on this hand set.
    This phone is the same as the LG Banter Touch--there should be cnet review on it--put it in yahoo search. Of course who knows how much ST crippled it as far as software?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,523
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quick look shows the LG Banter Touch has GPS, but we still don't know if the 511c has it. As you said, ST could have crippled it. And removing GPS would be just that in my book.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,523
    Feedback Score
    0
    So does anyone know if the 511c has GPS?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 03:57 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  3. Verizon Smart Phone $29.99 Data Plan Question
    By phoney123 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2010, 05:17 PM
  4. Best Non-Smart Verizon Phone
    By allendpt in forum Feature Phones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
  5. Using Alltel smart phone on verizon??
    By seamonkeydo12 in forum Temporary Verizon/Alltel buyout discussion forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks