Thread: Phone not requiring data plans

Feedback Score

Phone not requiring data plans

I am in dire need of a phone upgrade since my phone is not working properly. I do not have, nor need a data plan so the sales rep I spoke to recommended the Samsung Evergreen or the Samsung Flight (refurb.).

Are these decent phones? The reviews I read seem to be mixed.

Are there better options for non-smartphones? I will text occasionally, but it is not a major form of communication for me... yet.

Thank you,

Phones
    Galaxy S II
    Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, iPhone 4, Bold 9900, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would never recommend a refurbished device, as they're a slippery slope of manufacturer's issues. You only get a 90-day warranty on them. When it comes to non-smartphones, there really isn't anything "decent." They're all fairly crappy. They're made as cheaply as possible, and will probably fall apart on you. I wouldn't recommend signing a contract for one if you can just order something from eBay or Amazon and wait a day or two for it to arrive.

If you need something, find something that's free at Best Buy, and go to an AT&T store and ask them to price match it for you. The Samsung Evergreen isn't a terrible device. Go for that one.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    If you want something cheap, get a GoPhone. That way you don't have to sign a contract, and you can use it on post-paid with no issues. The direction that post-paid is moving in is very clearly high-end smartphone or take a hike, and the customers who can deal with not having an iPhone 4, SGS II, Atrix 2 or that sort of device will be on prepaid.
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Check out the HTC Freestyle or as GSMinCT said, get a GoPhone if you don't want another 2 year contract.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I agree it's getting close to the point of get a smartphone or take a hike. Vz rep showed no interest in signing up a neighbor who just wanted a basic phone with text. They asked what his current plan was. They recommended that he got prepaid. I imagine att would be similar.
    Running too many phones

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    Yeah I agree it's getting close to the point of get a smartphone or take a hike. Vz rep showed no interest in signing up a neighbor who just wanted a basic phone with text. They asked what his current plan was. They recommended that he got prepaid. I imagine att would be similar.
    The economics are pushing it that way before the people even get in the store. When you can get unlimited everything for $55/mo or less, what incentive do people have to sign a contract? The only one is a phone like SGS II, Atrix 2, iPhone 4S, DROID 3, DROID BIONIC, etc.