Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No roaming service in New York City

Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

No roaming service in New York City

Mobilicity sucks! Both in your coverage area and outside roaming.

My kid is in NYC for a few days, so I put some money into My Wallet so that he can call and SMS while roaming in NYC. On the first day, SMS seemed to work, but he was not receiving voice call from people in NYC. I was able to call him from Canada though. Today, both SMS and voice services died. I cannot call or text him and he cannot call or text out. I check My Wallet and there is still money left. He cannot use his phone *611 to call customer service and the 1-877 customer service is not free from NYC. I call customer service here in Canada on his behalf and have to talk to 3 reps, 3 times before my complain was escalated to a senior rep. He gave me some instructions to try and set the phone to WCDMA and then pick a US carrier. I email them to my kid, but still didn't work. And of course, after 10pm, customer service is closed.

Mobilicity sucks That's all I can say! Can anyone else help? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    ^ Tell him to do a Network Scan Manually & Pick T-Mobile as a Roaming network, in some places roaming on at&t doesn't work, which is what I believe he might be connected to, so that could be the reason why its not working.

So Manually pick TMobile, other thing you may want to check, although its too late to do it now is to make sure your international Roaming is enabled on Mobilicity's end.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    HE should be able to roam on BOTH ATT and T-Mobile. Can he do a MANUAL search (with 2G&3G not just 3G) and try to log into ATT and T-Mobile? Mobi's roaming is automatic (meaning - the customer service cannot disable it). IT should work right out of the box - but I have faced problems before in germany. (I used vodafone.de to sms and T-Mobile D to call - because calling wasnt possible on voda and sms doesnt work on t-mo-D.)

Feedback Score
    I was in the States just a few weeks ago, and after choosing T-Mobile, everything was fine, for the record. Mobi's fine.

Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    What phone are they using? It should be in dual mode to roam.

Feedback Score
    I was in manhattan for a couple of days two weeks ago for work. I texted and made/received phone calls no problem with my mobilicity phone.

there shouldn't be any problems unless it's related to the blackberry outage.

Phones
    BlackBerry Q10
    Lumia 920
    Bold 9700/9900
    Carriers
    WIND
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boston, Chicago and New York all worked this past month. I was using a Blackberry 9700, it was in automatic mode and selected the carrier no problem.

Hope your issue is resolved.

or...maybe your kid doesn't wanna be found

YMMV

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    or...maybe your kid doesn't wanna be found

YMMV
    LOL!

And to OP, I would assume NY works perfectly since it's one of the two most important cities in the states...maybe it's your kid not knowing how to do the settings properly.

Phones
    t200, S300, SL55
    V600, K700, D500, n80, n73
    W900i, k800i, k850i, iphone 3G, Nexus S, 5230, GNexus, Huewei
    Carriers
    Mobi $35 FnF + $25 BTS + Wind Pay per use + Rogers Corporate plan
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I went to NYC this weekend. I would say the reception is better than Toronto. I had reception everywhere I went T-mobile has a solid coverage. I was very happy with the service.
    feedback: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=657823
    ebay feedback : demon_twinz
    heatware ID: demon_twinz99

Carriers
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I've used the Mobilicity phone in the US (Pittsburgh and NYC) without any problems (except having to refill my wallet 3 times)

Carriers
    Mobilicity, Etisalat Afghanistan
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah t mo is awesome in NYC signal wise, by sure about speed. And op, I have gone to NYC 3 times since April with no problems roaming
    -------------------------------------- [ Windicity ] Must Succeed! ---------------------------------------

Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Mobilicity should have a free 1-800 number for North America so that in situation where there is no service and thus *611 won't work, the customer can still contact customer service for help, without having to pay for long distance.

BTW, my kid did scan for network manually and picked T-Mobile. But Home screen still says no service. Could this be related to RIM outages? What a coincidence!

Call customer service again this morning. No big help. Other suggestion is to remove battery for couple of mins and put it back in. Turn on phone and let it scan. This is frustrating cause they don't have direct contact with T-Mobile to do something immediately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    HE should be able to roam on BOTH ATT and T-Mobile. Can he do a MANUAL search (with 2G&3G not just 3G) and try to log into ATT and T-Mobile? Mobi's roaming is automatic (meaning - the customer service cannot disable it). IT should work right out of the box - but I have faced problems before in germany. (I used vodafone.de to sms and T-Mobile D to call - because calling wasnt possible on voda and sms doesnt work on t-mo-D.)
    I never said he can't roam on at&t in the states, what I said was some areas at&t roaming doesn't work. Even though your phone may auto select at&t, but when you try to make or receive a call or text, it doesn't work. I am telling you this from personal experience, as i live 5 minutes walk and 2 minute drive to Washington State. From my house on the Canadian side, I can pick up TMobile & At&t 2G & 3G+ Signal, but I am unable to make calls on the at&t network on 2G or 3G. When I am about 30 Miles into Washington State then roaming on at&t works fine.

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iago94010 View Post

BTW, my kid did scan for network manually and picked T-Mobile. But Home screen still says no service.

Doesnt sound right. The screen should say "emergency only" if you cannot use the network. No service = no usable signal.

Phone
    Motorola RAZR HD LTE
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Have you ever stopped to think T-Mobile doesn't actually have coverage in that part of NY...?
    People fight too much on this forum. Can't we all just be friends?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast