Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: domestic sim card in the new Iphone 4s????

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 128GB (Verizon Version) on Cricket
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cell View Post
    I have 3 lines and been a customer for 11 years.
    In the past they unlocked my Blackberry 9630 and today i called the international department to get the iphone unlocked and they told me they didn't have the code to unlock but if they get it they will. She also told me that it wasn't for sure and if i needed an unlocked phone to get the Motorola Photon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I tried my friend's AT&T SIM and it didn't work. I am getting a Telcel Mexico SIM card next month to try it.

Feedback Score
    In the past they unlocked my Blackberry 9630 and today i called the international department to get the iphone unlocked and they told me they didn't have the code to unlock but if they get it they will. She also told me that it wasn't for sure and if i needed an unlocked phone to get the Motorola Photon.
    OK so they won't unlock it. FYI for iphones there is no code the you yourself enter; they send a request to apple with the IMEI and apple unlocks it at next itunes sync.

Also FYI the Photon is only "semi-unlocked"; it will work with non-sprint sim cards, but there is a radio firmware block on connecting to US GSM towers, even with an international SIM. So you can't change carriers in the USA (or even roam on US carriers with a foreign SIM), but you can use a local SIM when you travel. There is hope that this can be fixed with some tinkering in radiocomm; with older firmware motorla phones on verizon you could defeat the block by changing a single byte in radiocomm (changing the first byte of NV item 8258 from 0C to 00, if you're curious, would work on Android 2.2.2 Droid 2 Globals, Droid Pros, etc... this is the hack recently released by TBH). Although that doesn't seem to be the case anymore... at the very least the memory address of that byte is different on the XPRT (or perhaps it's no longer that simple to unblock US GSM in moto firmware; the XPRT I had for a bit came with the first byte of NV Item 8258 already set to 00, and the phone wouldn't connect with a Tmobile SIM).

Anyway thanks for the info! From what I've seen so far, it appears the iphone works differently; since apple can force the phone to activate again when a new SIM is inserted, a Sprint iphone simply fails activation with a US SIM when contacting apple. They have the means to exact more precise control. I think this is why some people have reported success with foreign SIM cards, presumably even connecting to US towers. I was simply wondering if sprint will let the phone be unlocked completely, and it appears not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theslug View Post
    OK so they won't unlock it. FYI for iphones there is no code; they send a request to apple with the IMEI and apple unlocks it at next itunes sync.

Also FYI the Photon is only "semi-unlocked"; it will work with non-sprint sim cards, but there is a radio firmware block on connecting to US GSM towers, even with an international SIM. So you can't change carriers in the USA (or even roam on US carriers with a foreign SIM), but you can use a local SIM when you travel. There is hope that this can be fixed with some tinkering in radiocomm; with older firmware motorla phones on verizon you could defeat the block by changing a single byte in radiocomm (changing the first byte of NV item 8258 from 0C to 00, if you're curious, would work on Android 2.2.2 Droid 2 Globals, Droid Pros, etc... this is the hack recently released by TBH). Although that doesn't seem to be the case anymore... at the very least the memory address of that byte is different on the XPRT (or perhaps it's no longer that simple to unblock US GSM in moto firmware; the XPRT I had for a bit came with the first byte of NV Item 8258 already set to 00, and the phone wouldn't connect with a Tmobile SIM).

Anyway thanks for the info!
    I knew that there is no code for the Iphone. Probably the representative didnt have any iphone experience. Thats normal with Sprint.when i was at the sprint store getting my iphone on friday a customer complained that the volume was too low and the tech and manager told him that it was due to the network getting a lot of iphones and when i told them that it was the plastic covering the earpiece they felt stupid. Also the tech came to ask the manager if he knew how to sort contacts by first name and the iphone and they both couldn't figure it out until i told them how to do it. Another representative also told a customer that the apple care plus will also cover loss or stolen phones, what a lie.

I would never take my iphone for service there, they really need to improve their training.

Regarding the unlock, i don't really worry about it. I have two unlocked blackberries, the sprint 9630 and AT&T 9700.

Some times i feel that i should give AT&T a try for their Viva Mexico Plan for when i travel which is once a year and their 3G speeds but their dropped calls and no services in some areas make me think it twice. Here in the Bay with Sprint i have, Verizon, Metro and Cricket as a back up for roaming and with AT&T it will be just them.

Feedback Score
    Another representative also told a customer that the apple care plus will also cover loss or stolen phones, what a lie.
    Yeah, I've had a similar experience with sprint support. The worst part is when the techs have to "inspect" your defective phone with the messed up bluetooth radio or whatever else... what this means is that you wait around several hours until they factory reset it, ask you if that fixed the problem, and then order you a replacement after wasting your afternoon, even though you'd factory reset it in front of the rep to begin with, to show that it wasn't software related. Not to mention how you'll get 5 different answers from 5 different people about SERO related pricing, etc.... Anyway totally agree about roaming with sprint, but totally unlocked GSM phones are tempting. It's nice to have true unlock, tethering etc. without having to mess with anything. Plus, $ for $ (@$45/mo for unl talk/text/5GB HSPA+) the Tmobile small business plans seem to rule the bay (I'm from there too) if a 5 GB soft cap + throttle is enough for you. Speeds were better than WiMax in some places when I tried prepaid awhile back. Thinking about switching when I get back to the states at the end of the year (currently working abroad).

oops.. but kinda off topic.... didn't mean to hijack the thread! haha...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So no one's been able to get it internationally unlocked yet? My mom tried and they said it couldn't be done. So, she asked me to go talk to them. I like to check to see what other people experience on HoFo first cuz while Sprint's CS has improved drastically, you still get varied answers every time you call.

Feedback Score

I was able to install T-Mobile UK SIM in iPhone 4S and it worked fine

Specifically a sprint iphone 4S

I was able to phone, text and use data.

My domestic AT&T SIM does not work. Activation fails.

I went into the AT&T store and they installed a SIM from a demo activated 4S and it would not activate either, so there is something in the phone, or in the activation process blocking the process.
    Last edited by woot4fun; 10-18-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: adding data

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Seems pretty simple. If it's an international SIM the phone is unlocked. For domestic SIMs the phone is locked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockey View Post
    So for you folks who have gotten their new Iphone 4s have you tried puttting a domestic sim card(Att, Tmobile) into it and see if actually will work on GSM?

Thank you
    I just wanted to share with you that I bought my Iphone 4s through the apple store and activated it with sprint. I got it on the same day it launched. About a week ago, I was wondering if an ATT sim card would work, and to everyone's surprise at the ATT store, it actually DID WORK. I have no idea how, because my phone was not an unlocked phone. However, today I went to get an iphone 4s at walmart and activated it with ATT. Now, when I put the att sim card on my phone, IT DOESN'T WORK anymore. I'm not sure if it's because I ported the number? but I had to call Sprint to tell them I was canceling and porting my number to att...and a few min later the sim card didn't work on my 64gb Iphone.... I will go to the att store and see what happened. I'm sure Sprint did something on their end for the phone not to work with any other carrier

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carmencita187 View Post
    I have no idea how, because my phone was not an unlocked phone.
    Not being a Sprint employee or knowing/understanding all the details, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Feedback Score

Does iPhone 4S have sim card slot?

Does iPhone 4S Sprint has sim card slot? If there is, can it be possible unlocked to T-Mobile?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 128GB Space Grey (SIM Free)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes the Sprint iPhone 4S (not the 4) has a SIM card slot. Technically it can be unlocked for use with T-Mobile. Sprint will never unlock it for domestic U.S. SIM usage unless Apple eventually beats them over the head about it. You can get it unlocked by Sprint for international SIM usage. I use mine with a Rogers SIM when I visit Canada.
    --
    I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2