Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use QNC still? Anybody ever get it to work with android?

Feedback Score

Anyone use QNC still? Anybody ever get it to work with android?

Probably leaving verizon with my 2 android phones. Love the pricing of PagePlus and was a customer previously for a few months. I would like to be able to have my phones use low speed data just to pull email when I am out and about... has anyone EVER gotten QNC to work on an android phone? I see some posts elsewhere with instructions on how do change the setting but nobody seems to be able to get it to stick. Does having root capabilities help? Does QNC even exist anymore?

Feedback Score
    Wow, I am thinking of the same thing right at the moment. That was a coincidence, huh? Anybody has information? Thanks1

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    It exists and works but Moto would have removed the settings and ability for it to connect on any handset as recent as their Droid line.

Feedback Score
    Well, this isnt for a motorola phone, so moto shouldn't matter. Since android is linux based and roms have been built from scratch, anything the manufacturer does shouldnt make a difference. I am rooted, running a custom rom, and overclocked... so is there anybody with some networking experience in android development that would know if it is possible to make an app to force this, or modify something on the kernel level if it is locked out?

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    the ability to make that type of data connection simply isn't part of the software for whatever phone you do have.

The backend is still present and carriers support it since its probably more costly to remove the functions but manufacturers no longer build QNC into their data transfer protocols. Moto was the last to do it as far as I know but whomever made your phone probably dropped it from their handsets years ago.

Feedback Score
    I understand what you are saying, but my point is, if the hardware is still capabale, isnt it possible with an "open" os to put the capability back in to the software? Is there just not enough interest for someone with programming knowledge of android/linux to add the protocol back in, kind of like you would do with windows network components? I can see if this was a feature phone, or a locked down OS that it wouldnt be possible, but man if I knew linux type OS'es i would be all over trying to put some code into a rom, kernel or app to make this work.

Carriers
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    QNC still woks here in Central Florida. I have 2 old Moto Qs and a Samsung I730 working on it, but evidently nothing newer will work. It's a pity, but I suppose if more phones used it big bad Verizon would notice and pull the plug.

Feedback Score
    What is the best android phone I can use with QNC?

Tethering to laptops ok ,too?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Hava LG Fathom, can I use QNC on it? Tried to setup dial-up through cellular and it did not go through...

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Droid Maxx
    Carriers
    Verizon Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Google is your friend. Check out this page:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ones_and_HowTo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman54 View Post
    Google is your friend. Check out this page:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ones_and_HowTo
    Thanks for pointing to this page, I've seen it already but well there is no specific info about Fathom... So I just don't know which one take as how to...

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Have you even read this thread that you posted in?????
    Quote Originally Posted by bizbizmm View Post
    What is the best android phone I can use with QNC?

Tethering to laptops ok ,too?

thanks
    Last edited by Boz1; 10-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    So is it not available even for WinMo 6.5 on my Fathom? I do have modem connection but one I tried to go though browser it started to dial ... then do something then shows verizon page about internet (or something) and it does not goes though this page and then I see Data usage on my balance. So it's a) not free and b) not event allow me to pass through verizon page .

Don't kill me .

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2, Motorola Droid X, Nokia Lumia 520
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRF84B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I would imagine that QNC would be next to worthless on an Android phone for anything but the occasional MMS message. QNC is only about 14 kbps/sec up and down, about what landline dialup speed were back in the early-to-mid 90s.

Feedback Score
    I used to have a fascinate that was running a custom rom( cant remember which one). It had a setting for qnc which i couldnt figure out. Maybe someone is willing to poke around xda fascinate forums? I have since switched to virgin mobile.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it was comrom
    Sent from my MOTWX435KT using HowardForums
    Last edited by rogerski1; 10-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast